Wright State Post Game Thread

Reacher

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

....not this bad. There were several games last year where we were locked in, inside and out.

But it's been an issue for a long time. While it's certainly gotten worse to start this season, the over-helping and poor 3pt defense has been a long-time issue schematically. It's more than just some freshmen needing to learn and gain experience. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess my concern there is that defending the 3pt line isn't a 'this season' issue, it's been an issue as long ad Woodson has been here. Certainly last season and now again to start this season. 

We’re slow on our rotations and over help. I mean, we have a big 7’ waiting to clean things up at the rim. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

....not this bad. There were several games last year where we were locked in, inside and out.

At a certain point you expect that to be most games.  Not some or several.  If our defenses is too confusing right now, dumb it down.  We look awful compared to the actual talent that is on this team.

And I didn't expect world beaters out the gate, we all knew there would be growing pains, but in year 3 this team looks like a year 1 complete rebuild.  

• Like 5

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

We’re slow on our rotations and over help. I mean, we have a big 7’ waiting to clean things up at the rim. 

The over-helping is my biggest concern. Been an issue for 3 years, and it leaves guys out of position and the defense scrambling which contributes to both open 3's and then also being out of position for defensive rebounding (another issue, but there connected a bit). 

What I've never understood is that Woodson had 40 years of NBA coaching experience. If you over-help and leave the perimeter open like this in the NBA, you'll be down 20 in the first quarter. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The over-helping is my biggest concern. Been an issue for 3 years, and it leaves guys out of position and the defense scrambling which contributes to both open 3's and then also being out of position for defensive rebounding (another issue, but there connected a bit). 

What I've never understood is that Woodson had 40 years of NBA coaching experience. If you over-help and leave the perimeter open like this in the NBA, you'll be down 20 in the first quarter. 

Some of the lineups are head scratchers as well

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I mean he was on the bench of one of the best defensive teams of all-time. It is wild that our defense looks this bad. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Rapheal Davis mentioned this. He said the year that he was B1G DPOY he had AJ Hammonds behind him so he knew he could be aggressive

Right.... We've had one of the best shot blockers in the country every year Woodson has been here and the perimeter defense has struggled this much. It's concerning - what happens if we ever don't have an elite shot blocker? 

• Like 3

I was hoping for improvement last night.  I guess we looked a little better on offense.  We were able to get out in transition more which helped.  The defense?  No words.  A kid who had not hit a three all year hit seven last night.  It's like a broken record.  

When I look at guys individually on this team, I see a lot of what should be some nice pieces to the puzzle.  When put together, I just don't think the sum of this team is greater than the parts.  I really like Ware.  I really like Galloway.  X can be solid.  Reneau has his strengths.  Cupps is smart.  I keep waiting and will keep waiting for Mgbako to figure it out.  It's just an odd combo of dudes.  It's like one of those cooking shows my wife watches where they give the chef a bunch of ingredients that on their own are great, but don't seem to go together and he has to make a gourmet meal in 60 minutes.  Woody is going to have to go all Iron Chef and whip up a dish no one sees coming.  If he gets this outfit to the tournament, and I think he can although it's no guarantee, he should strongly be considered for B1G coach of the year. 

And for the love of all that's holy, can we please get some more perimeter players by next year.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
changed six threes to seven
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I was hoping for improvement last night.  I guess we looked a little better on offense.  We were able to get out in transition more which helped.  The defense?  No words.  A kid who had not hit a three all year hit six last night.  It's like a broken record.  

No offense, but he was actually 7-10 from three. 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And I didn't expect world beaters out the gate, we all knew there would be growing pains, but in year 3 this team looks like a year 1 complete rebuild.  

With 10 new faces, it essentially is a new rebuild. Only X & Gallo (who weren't big scorers last year) have any meaningful experience. Malik was in foul trouble all year, although I really like how he's started out this year (overall). But other than that, it's a new team.

Patience is a virtue. I don't have any, but that's what they say...

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wright State's guards had 8 offensive rebounds to 0 for IU guards. Their guards had 22 total rebounds to IU's guards 7 (Cupps had 4). 

Woody called out the guards on that specific point in the post game presser. Hope we see a bigtime change coming.

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wright State's guards had 8 offensive rebounds to 0 for IU guards. Their guards had 22 total rebounds to IU's guards 7 (Cupps had 4). 

Guards definitely need to help rebound better and be more active on that front, no doubt. 

But, I think some of these things are all symptoms of the same problem. 

The over-helping and not being in a good stance and active, causes bad and late rotations. That causes the defense to be scrambling and late. 

All of that means giving up high volume of open 3's and the defense scrambling late means flying by open shooters and even more poor positioning, which all cause long rebounds and the guards then being out of position to help grab those long rebounds. 

IMO all of this ties together. 

• Like 5

OK. Here’s something positive.  I remember last year’s first few games when we had 15-20 turnovers per game.  That got fixed quickly.  I see great improvement in Malik and he can dominate.  Cupps has high potential imo as PG and reminds me of Hulls.  Ware is impressive and I remember early last season a slow, passionless TJD in some games.   I don’t like Woody experimenting this much in actual games, but have faith he’ll decide on best unit soon and manage players well.  Go Hoosiers.   

• Like 1