Wright State Post Game Thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

IU has to play another guard. Which one will he turn to if X misses time. Gunn will get more minutes but they can’t play with just Cupps, Trey, and Gunn.

My guess would be Cupps with the start, Galloway will have to play extra minutes, when Gunn comes in to spell Cupps, Gallo turns to PG. Gallo will play a ton of minutes 

13 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

My guess would be Cupps with the start, Galloway will have to play extra minutes, when Gunn comes in to spell Cupps, Gallo turns to PG. Gallo will play a ton of minutes 

If it’s a couple games that’s fine. If it’s an extended period of time it’s not going to work

15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Gosh, I’m 49 and probably my first memories are watching IU basketball, especially the 81 championship. Went to IU 93-97.   Was a huge Knight fan. Unfortunately, we haven’t made a good hire since then, with the possible exception of Woodson. But damn, we haven’t seen good basketball since Cheaney, Grahams, Henderson, Bailey, etc.  It’s just sad. 

Alright then. Look forward to talking IU basketball with you. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

If it’s a couple games that’s fine. If it’s an extended period of time it’s not going to work

We could easily lose every game between now and Kansas is X is out that long, and if it's a high ankle he might be.

It is getting late early for this team - guys need to step up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

IU has to play another guard. Which one will he turn to if X misses time. Gunn will get more minutes but they can’t play with just Cupps, Trey, and Gunn.

Galloway played some point last year.

If X is only out for one game I wouldn’t be surprised to see Trey (35), Cupps (25) and Gunn (20) eat up the 80 guard minutes. There might be a few minutes with Banks virtually as a 2 or perhaps Leal will get a few minutes.  Hope I’m wrong but I think it’s going to be ugly.

For the FT folks, yes wasn't a good night (20-32 for 62.5%), but Banks and Sparks went a combined 1-7. Add Reneau and it its 1-10. Now, these three (but specifically Reneau) are guys who will likely draw a lot of fouls with the way they play, and they have to get better, no doubt about it. But everyone else with a high usage rate performed well at the line.

Trey, Ware & MM were 18-21 (87%). They should, and probably will, take a lot of FTs this season. It's not complete gloom and doom in this area.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Gosh, I’m 49 and probably my first memories are watching IU basketball, especially the 81 championship. Went to IU 93-97.   Was a huge Knight fan. Unfortunately, we haven’t made a good hire since then, with the possible exception of Woodson. But damn, we haven’t seen good basketball since Cheaney, Grahams, Henderson, Bailey, etc.  It’s just sad. 

So 2002 wasn't good basketball or 2013 or 2016

8 hours ago, DC2345 said:

If X is out does Woodson turn to Leal, or does he go with one of the walk ons in Rayford or Creel? The first thought would be Leal being on scholarship however I’d go with whoever has the most PG skill. 

i would assume Cupps starts at PG and Galloway plays point when he is out.  Leal may get a few spot minutes when absolutely needed, but Gunn and Cupps just playing more would probably be all that is needed right?

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There’s no excuse for the lack of depth at the guard position on this team. They survived last year when X went down because JHS was an Ironman freak who was playing 40 minutes down the stretch. They had to know Newton wouldn’t be available. I have no idea why we have Walker

So this is going to rub people wrong, but we have a recruiting problem.  I know Woodson has landed a 5* in every? class but there is more to recruiting than just doing that.  Our roster construction has been pretty abysmal and I find it hard to believe that we are recruiting to our initial plans when we are getting so many guys late in the recruiting cycle.  I don't think the transfer portal is a great way for us to regularly build a solid team unless we are using it to get one missing piece.  

When was the last time Rosemund and Hunter got shouted out by a recruit we landed?  It is a rough and tumble business and they aren't pulling their weight in development or recruiting IMO.

26 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There’s no excuse for the lack of depth at the guard position on this team. They survived last year when X went down because JHS was an Ironman freak who was playing 40 minutes down the stretch. They had to know Newton wouldn’t be available. I have no idea why we have Walker

absolutely cannot understand leaving a scholarship open  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I have no idea why we have Walker

I said this multiple times when the Walker transfer happened…and there were a few that were hard pressed in justifying the transfer (a better version of Geronimo). Please…as if this team needed another Geronimo 2.0….except he might be worse. And then you have people that claim Woodson was going hard after guards but they just chose elsewhere…spare me, there are thousands of collegiate guards/ shooting guards who would literally crawl to Bloomington to play. I could pick one or two from each team we’ve played so far that I rather have as a scoring threat then Walker. We also have an open scholarship. Better hope X isn’t out. 

Woodson built this team in the summer and basketball is typically won with guard play…well…we don’t have it. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

He isn’t wrong. Could things change? Possibly…but right now, Indiana is not a good team . not good at defending the 3 right now....

I fixed it for you....lol

Indiana is not firing on all cylinder, right now. Plain and simple. Once this team gets it's 3 pt. defensive woes under control, this is team will be fun to watch. Mark my word..... There are definitely more guys than Mgbako over thinking the game. IMO, the best players on the team right now are Ware, Galloway, X, Cupps and Reneau.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I fixed it for you....lol

Indiana is not firing on all cylinder, right now. Plain and simple. Once this team gets it's 3 pt. defensive woes under control, this is team will be fun to watch. Mark my word..... There are definitely more guys than Mgbako over thinking the game. IMO, the best players on the team right now are Ware, Galloway, X, Cupps and Reneau.

I guess my concern there is that defending the 3pt line isn't a 'this season' issue, it's been an issue as long as Woodson has been here. Certainly last season and now again to start this season. 

• Like 4