UConn Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

On 11/17/2023 at 11:33 AM, Kdug said:

Eh, I don’t know if I agree that this sets the tone for the season. Last year, we got smoked by Arizona, Kansas, and Rutgers early in the season. We eventually turned it around and turned into a good team by the end of the season. I don’t feel great about this game, but this is still an IU team that has the potential to improve quite a bit from where they’re currently at regardless of the outcome of the UConn game.

I mean Michigan state used to lose like 5 games early on against tough competition then by end of season they were like a 2-3 seed every year. This teams potential comes down to will the newcomers learn to not over sag on defense and start stopping the three. If they can do that then by end of year we will be just like Michigan state. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’d say a little blame to be thrown around for both. MM should have been communicating and hollering switch just to get back to the guys they should have had. But if he didn’t, MM has to follow his guy (shouldn’t be getting beat to the middle that easy) and X can’t just be floating around doing whatever he wants. More blame on XJ in that play if MM wasn’t hollering switch. MM’s D on that play was bad, as was XJ’s, but I’d say the bulk of the problem on that play was not communicating. 

100%. MM awful position is most likely what caused XJ to switch initially. But, a 6th year point guard should also be communicating much, much better than that. 

A lot of blame on that one, as you said. 

IF we can play hard-hat defense, I believe our best skill is running the sh!t out of the opponent. We all (seem to) agree that we have far more athleticism than last year. We've proven we can out-run everybody (so far), why not use that to our advantage. Play the 10 guys and run their pants off !!

Might be our only hope. Guess we'll see soon.

Reading through this discussion on out 3 point shooting, there is one point that has not been brought up. 

We know other teams have been forced to shoot more 3s due to the IU interior defense. 

It follows that teams with more size and skill will go inside more and shoot less 3s. That should hold for our opponents as well as us. That is what we have been doing. Can't fault Woody for taking advantage of mismatches. 

The size and skill of UConn may likely lead to more kickouts for 3s as there are less easy baskets inside. 

I'm perfectly OK with the concept of playing inside out. Why shoot a 3 when you have a massive edge inside? 

I'm not saying this is the only factor at play here. Today and tomorrow should give us a better gauge for style of play and this teams potential. 

Lastly, my biggest concern this season so far has been the play of X. Not his injury, but overall. There have been flashes of intensity but not sure he is fully back in his groove. From defensive lapses to a lack of assists, he is the one player we need to make a jump to what we know he is capable of. Yes we want to see development from Banks and Gunn, MM figuring out the D, and I think we will see that in due time. If X can play good D, get 7 assists and hit a couple 3s, the look of our play should improve for the better. 

• Like 2

Another related thought and this one I claim... I still think we're screwed because the 5 guys who need to start are not the right pieces, but that we can't do anything about it.  Another reason for that is I would be shocked if the coaching staff didn't use the sales pitch to MM that he would have to be a 3 in the NBA and that they would start him there and showcase him, right?  Also would be shocked if when recruited Reneau to stay and Ware to come if they weren't both pretty much promised a starting role.  Society and bball society is so tough these days.  Long time friend of mine was both of my son's high school coaches.  He won back to back state championships and decided to give it a go as a small D1 assistant.  He gave that up after one season because players would cuss out the staff and when he tried to discipline that the staff told him that they just had to take it because they didn't want them to transfer.  I mean, wow!  He said it was every man for themselves because they all transfer in and have their own individual goals, etc.  I just can't imagine.