Tom Allen has been fired

DC2345

I think Tom Herman is a very underrated coach.  He had a very bright star and is very smart.  Didn’t get much of a chance at Texas and is out there.  I’d be interested. 

Chryst has a good record.  He reportedly just turned down Northwestern so not sure what is on his mind.  

There are a number of good options out there.   Let’s just hope we go down the right track.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And that’s why I wonder if a guy like Art Briles could be interested.  A chance to get back in.  Actually, a last chance to get back in.  He’s old enough that career suicide isn’t an issue.

He's a little bit messy...the Baylor deal was maybe not all on him, but he was a part of it...

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Tom Herman is a very underrated coach.  He had a very bright star and is very smart.  Didn’t get much of a chance at Texas and is out there.  I’d be interested. 

Chryst has a good record.  He reportedly just turned down Northwestern so not sure what is on his mind.  

There are a number of good options out there.   Let’s just hope we go down the right track.  

Herman is finishing the first year of a 5 year deal at Florida Atlantic...$2.5 million buyout if we wanted him, tacked onto the $20+ mil that Allen is owed...

I agree he didn't get much of a chance in Austin...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And that’s why I wonder if a guy like Art Briles could be interested.  A chance to get back in.  Actually, a last chance to get back in.  He’s old enough that career suicide isn’t an issue.

I listed him weeks ago, even created a topic about it.  He would be a home run but no way they hire him unless the president backs it.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I take Gary Patterson 

With all due respect, this is what I don't get.  Patterson was below .500 his last 4 years at TCU, then they fire him and go to the playoffs.  Why would a guy who stopped winning at a school capable of going to the final 4 be successful at Indiana?  A lot, if not all, of these "experience" guys would be Gerry Dinardo, Part 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

With all due respect, this is what I don't get.  Patterson was below .500 his last 4 years at TCU, then they fire him and go to the playoffs.  Why would a guy who stopped winning at a school capable of going to the final 4 be successful at Indiana?  A lot, if not all, of these "experience" guys would be Gerry Dinardo, Part 2.

Pretty good points. Spend 20 million to hire Gary Patterson? Hmmm 

Since this thread is specifically about CTA and his firing, I just want to state how incredible I felt watching the '20 season. Some want to give more credit to DeBoer and Wommack, but it was still being driven by Coach Allen. It was just a fun team with some serious dudes creating havoc and making plays.

I know I'm not the only one that got excited. I know I'm not the only one who bought in and projected a longer period of sustained success. Whatever was happening around the program was palpable and real.

It sucks that it didn't last. Sucks bad.

But if anything, it also proves just how thirsty Indiana University football fans are. We want to win at our core. We've seen winning all around us at this school. I love basketball more, but seeing the football program compete (and beat) some of the more hallowed teams in the country was a top level thrill.

Why Indiana? Because despite the quick chirps and easy takedowns, I really believe a lot of people care about the program.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Any thoughts on Jake Dickert the Washington State coach?  He’s originally from the midwest and with WSU no longer in a power 5 conference could he look to move like the Oregon State coach?

This is the route I'd prefer, but.. is it a stepping stone? Should we care if it is? 

Lots of layers here 

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Since this thread is specifically about CTA and his firing, I just want to state how incredible I felt watching the '20 season. Some want to give more credit to DeBoer and Wommack, but it was still being driven by Coach Allen. It was just a fun team with some serious dudes creating havoc and making plays.

I know I'm not the only one that got excited. I know I'm not the only one who bought in and projected a longer period of sustained success. Whatever was happening around the program was palpable and real.

It sucks that it didn't last. Sucks bad.

But if anything, it also proves just how thirsty Indiana University football fans are. We want to win at our core. We've seen winning all around us at this school. I love basketball more, but seeing the football program compete (and beat) some of the more hallowed teams in the country was a top level thrill.

Why Indiana? Because despite the quick chirps and easy takedowns, I really believe a lot of people care about the program.

Great post. 2019 and 2020 were so much fun, the excitement was real.

I think looking at what Allen did in those first few years can (and maybe should) be the blueprint we are looking for.