Tom Allen has been fired

DC2345

Just now, btownqb said:

This is the route I'd prefer, but.. is it a stepping stone? Should we care if it is? 

Lots of layers here 

For sure.  Part of me doesn’t care if it’s a stepping stone.  If a guy like that can bring success here and he goes somewhere better then maybe we are in a better spot to hire a bigger name next time around.  We once were in a spot to hire Urban Meyer.  We said no.  Utah hired him.  Look how that turned out.

• Like 2

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

For sure.  Part of me doesn’t care if it’s a stepping stone.  If a guy like that can bring success here and he goes somewhere better then maybe we are in a better spot to hire a bigger name next time around.  We once were in a spot to hire Urban Meyer.  We said no.  Utah hired him.  Look how that turned out.

We also hired Bill Lynch.. 😳😳😳

I'll add: of course there will be some loyalists that follow CTA out the door. And some of those names will sting really badly.

But the overall cupboard isn't bare. We might not have the talent and depth to play with Michigan and OSU for 60 minutes, but we did/do have the talent to beat Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State -- it's not far fetched that some of those losses are more on the coaches and their play calling and schemes than the players. (Although, we beat Purdue if we could TACKLE, ffs -- but that's for another thread, lol).

I don't think we're THAT far from being mid pack, and then we can start to climb a bit with competency and a mindset that is more aggressive. More 'win' and less 'not lose'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'll add: of course there will be some loyalists that follow CTA out the door. And some of those names will sting really badly.

But the overall cupboard isn't bare. We might not have the talent and depth to play with Michigan and OSU for 60 minutes, but we did/do have the talent to beat Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State -- it's not far fetched that some of those losses are more on the coaches and their play calling and schemes than the players. (Although, we beat Purdue if we could TACKLE, ffs -- but that's for another thread, lol).

I don't think we're THAT far from being mid pack, and then we can start to climb a bit with competency and a mindset that is more aggressive. More 'win' and less 'not lose'.

Truthfully I think we should be pretty excited about Sorbsy. 🤷‍♂️

He wasn't great the last two weeks, but crap he's young. 15TDs passing 5INTs and 4 rushing TDs in about 8 games, couple of those dysfunctional and lost his OC mid year. (Still an adjustment, but ultimately a good thing) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's worth noting how in-depth Osterman's list is written. This isn't something whipped up last minute. And while a lot of journalists have stories in their queue for any/many potentialities, he is particularly clued in and connected to the program, so this list has been on-deck for a bit.

He just tweeted that he believes the search will move quickly -- the amount of information being shared publicly is being couched a certain way that posits a "national search", but I believe the program has already zeroed in on a few specific names.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Once Carey took over, we were pretty much right in every game.  Gotta wonder if he was in charge at the beginning of the season how things would have turned out.  Could have saved Allen his job.

It's quite obvious the bad offense gassed the defense by the end of the season each of the last three years.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Truthfully I think we should be pretty excited about Sorbsy. 🤷‍♂️

He wasn't great the last two weeks, but crap he's young. 15TDs passing 5INTs and 4 rushing TDs in about 8 games, couple of those dysfunctional and lost his OC mid year. (Still an adjustment, but ultimately a good thing) 

He reminds of those PSU QB’s like Trace McSorley that have moxy and just make plays. He could be the guy that other teams hate and feel like he's been playing for 6 years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's worth noting how in-depth Osterman's list is written. This isn't something whipped up last minute. And while a lot of journalists have stories in their queue for any/many potentialities, he is particularly clued in and connected to the program, so this list has been on-deck for a bit.

He just tweeted that he believes the search will move quickly -- the amount of information being shared publicly is being couched a certain way that posits a "national search", but I believe the program has already zeroed in on a few specific names.

I think they have to have names zeroed in.  All these schools are going to hire fast and try and get their man.

18 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Interesting read. They didn't have Chryst mentioned.

Charles Huff’s record is ok but he’s a great recruiter and has a good resume having worked for Saban.  Only 40. 

Tireless recruiter needs to be non-negotiable.  As good of coaches as Dan Mullen and Paul Chryst are, there’s negative stuff out there about their commitment to recruiting.  

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

Once Carey took over, we were pretty much right in every game.  Gotta wonder if he was in charge at the beginning of the season how things would have turned out.  Could have saved Allen his job.

It's quite obvious the bad offense gassed the defense by the end of the season each of the last three years.

Really good point. When you're offense is constantly going 3 and Out, you're taxing your D. Fatigue can lead to bad tackling, poor concentration and situational awareness, etc.

Certainly a great 'What if?'

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

Really good point. When you're offense is constantly going 3 and Out, you're taxing your D. Fatigue can lead to bad tackling, poor concentration and situational awareness, etc.

Certainly a great 'What if?'

Yeah the offense should have had the game wrapped up in the first 3Qs on Saturday. Defense gave them soo many opportunities, plus stopped PU after they got the ball in our RZ. 

Ignore the off field stuff for this point.  I loved the attitude Kevin Wilson came in here with. Not afraid of anything and was aggressive.  Willing to fight for recruits.  Played to win, not scared.  Not encumbered by IU’s past and being resigned to failure.  He knew offense too.  I want that edge in the next guy.  “There’s no reason why we can’t win” type of attitude.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ignore the off field stuff for this point.  I loved the attitude Kevin Wilson came in here with. Not afraid of anything and was aggressive.  Willing to fight for recruits.  Played to win, not scared.  Not encumbered by IU’s past and being resigned to failure.  He knew offense too.  I want that edge in the next guy.  There’s no reason why we can’t win type of attitude.  

Great post!  While not a fan of him off field what you describe on field is exactly what IU needs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

No offense, but I'd say the same for everybody the posts on message boards.  You don't get the benefit of the rear-view mirror in real jobs like you do on message boards.

Even with AD’s, they have access to consultants and such that go to work and do a lot of leg work.   Ton of quality names out there and we just need the right boxes checked for our situation. 

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Charles Huff’s record is ok but he’s a great recruiter and has a good resume having worked for Saban.  Only 40. 

Tireless recruiter needs to be non-negotiable.  As good of coaches as Dan Mullen and Paul Chryst are, there’s negative stuff out there about their commitment to recruiting.  

I am just surprised he wasn't mentioned in this article since a few folks with inside knowledge have indicated IU has reached out to Chryst already. Dan Mullen would be a good hire if he was willing to put in the effort with recruiting, which it seems he might not be. IU is definitely going to need someone hungry with an edge to them that has the charisma to recruit 3-4 star recruits well. 

• Like 1