Tom Allen has been fired

DC2345

Statement from Tom Allen:

It has been my greatest professional honor to serve as Indiana’s head football coach for the past seven years.  Representing this University and this State has meant more to me than you can imagine.  Our entire journey here has been based on a simple concept – Love.  Each.  Other.  It’s what we’ve done, it’s what we’ll always do.  I continue to believe it’s a recipe to change the world.  There have been so many incredible memories made and relationships formed.  I’ll always be grateful for the players, coaches and staff who believed in our vision and gave their heart and soul for this program. 

College football has changed dramatically over the past several years.  Some of those changes have been a shock to the conscience of those who support IU football.  The time has come to fully embrace those changes and I pray that IU does just that. 

To each and every player who put on the Crimson and Cream over the past 7 seasons, I love you, thank you and God bless. 

#LEO

• Like 8

Just now, IUFLA said:

Whadaya mean? During the basketball coaching search the only name mentioned on this board was Mike Woodson! 

;) 

Hand up.  I wanted Musselman or Beard.  At least most of us have the humility to know we don’t know enough about the inner dealings.

It’s like when I hire someone.  I may like someone’s resume but I have zero clue until I interview them.  At that point, most hires probably have a good track record.   There’s only so much we can know without being in the process.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU247 said:

It has been my greatest professional honor to serve as Indiana’s head football coach for the past seven years.  Representing this University and this State has meant more to me than you can imagine.  Our entire journey here has been based on a simple concept – Love.  Each.  Other.  It’s what we’ve done, it’s what we’ll always do.  I continue to believe it’s a recipe to change the world.  There have been so many incredible memories made and relationships formed.  I’ll always be grateful for the players, coaches and staff who believed in our vision and gave their heart and soul for this program. 

College football has changed dramatically over the past several years.  Some of those changes have been a shock to the conscience of those who support IU football.  The time has come to fully embrace those changes and I pray that IU does just that. 

To each and every player who put on the Crimson and Cream over the past 7 seasons, I love you, thank you and God bless. 

#LEO

For all the people bashing him;  he’s always been an awesome human being.  Good Christian man who is a great person.  I have great fondness for him and I own it.  

• Like 9

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Hand up.  I wanted Musselman or Beard.  At least most of us have the humility to know we don’t know enough about the inner dealings.

It’s like when I hire someone.  I may like someone’s resume but I have zero clue until I interview them.  At that point, most hires probably have a good track record.   There’s only so much we can know without being in the process.   

I truly wasn't poking at you...Just @thirdgenhoosier's post made me think back to those wild, rollercoaster days...

You're second paragraph, second sentence is dead on...I was on a hiring process not long ago where a guy's resume was perfect...during the interview, he mangled the English language so badly, he made Norm Crosby and Don King sound like Strunk and White... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IU247 said:

#LEO

This quote is fascinating:

He’s giving some feedback.  I’d listen to what he’s saying.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I took that as a thinly veiled poke at our football NIL effort...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I took that as a thinly veiled poke at our football NIL effort...

Yes and maybe facilities. I think he’s saying he didn’t get what he wanted.  May be viewed as sour grapes but I think it’s telling.  He is saying he ran into resistance IMO.  

I want us to be clean but sometimes we get holier than thou to a fault.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That jumped off the screen to me when I read it. We had better embrace those changes or who the coach is might not matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

A cut to his buyout. The fact that he was even willing to discuss this shows his high character. Wow.

He might have done it to expedite the payments.  He may also exchanged offsets, meaning they won’t get deducted.  So he is getting something in return for a lower total number.  I say that without any facts but my guess as an attorney.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

So I’m not up on who’s all up to possibility replace Coach Allen, but I agree unless your in the process it’s a crap shoot! The things I’d like to see in our new coach. 
1. head coaching experience 

2.young an enthusiastic bring some energy 

3 can he recruit an develop players

4. I like an offensive mined Coach, but can he get a quality defensive coordinator! 

• Like 1

I get why people like Candle but just doesn’t move the needle for me.  That just doesn’t scream commitment to the program IMO.  I would really prefer a power 5 experienced coach.  That may be asking too much but even the Washington OC sounds better than Candle to me.  Wilson was OC at OU and to me the offense is the most important area right now.

Edited by iuthruandthru

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

To be fair, those would have both been amazing hires, sans Beard not keeping his hands to himself. 

• Thanks 1