Tom Allen has been fired

DC2345

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I have to read up on Candle, but I think I’d be okay with any of the three.  I have no faith that IU would hire Fitzgerald, even though I’d love it. I just don’t think we have the stones to bring in a guy with a cloud. 

This is where I am at...but I hope I am wrong and IU hires Fitzgerald.

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is where I am at...but I hope I am wrong and IU hires Fitzgerald.

I was just reading up on Candle and I liked what I read. He has some sustained success at Toledo plus he has an offensive background. He worked for Matt Campbell who has done well at Iowa St. It wouldn’t take much to convince me he should be number one of the three in question. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is the perfect time for this change. Honestly, I think the best thing to happen to IU Football in probably two decades or so is the move the Big Ten has made to go away from divisions. 

You can now sell this program to a coach minus the restraint of basically 3 guaranteed losses each year before you even start. 

I might get a lot of pushbask on this, but IMO IU was one of, if not the hardest jobs to sell because of the division it has played in. 

With a higher level of financial commitment and a more manageable schedule, the potential to unlock this program is more palpable. 

100%. Timing is perfect.

No divisions, we’ve proven we can have successful athletic programs in just about every other sport. We’ve made good infrastructure investments in football. We have shown we can compete with anyone when it comes to NIL in basketball, it doesn’t take much imagination to think about what we can do in football.

The cupboard shouldn’t be bare. We should also be able to do well in the transfer portal.

Now is the time to get the right hire and finally be a consistent program. 

• Like 3

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

Ok I’ll ask.  If I’m the idiot so be it.  Yes PF had some great years at NW of all places.  But his last, what, 3 years (maybe just 2) were also awful.  Arguably as bad as what we just went through.  What gets some of you so interested in him?  

I’m in the same boat as you, to me, Candle sounds a lot better than Pat. 

I can acknowledge that Fitz had some unprecedented success at NW and that’s probably the hardest school to win at in the Big Ten, but three of his last 4 years going 1-8 is terrifying. 

Maybe if the article/rumors of Dolson pumping serious cash into the program + NIL are true he can succeed here, but that scares me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Ok I’ll ask.  If I’m the idiot so be it.  Yes PF had some great years at NW of all places.  But his last, what, 3 years (maybe just 2) were also awful.  Arguably as bad as what we just went through.  What gets some of you so interested in him?  

I’ll admit I was focused  more on the total body of work and the great years he had than the last three or whatever it is. However, the more I research Candle, the more I find myself in that camp, which is probably the kiss of death. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Why are so many people so enamored with Fitzgerald? 1-8 in conference 3 of his last 4 seasons, playing in the JV division that was even weaker than usual. 

3 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

While it is true that Northwestern is in the weaker of the Big Ten divisions, he took a historically poor Northwestern program to 10 bowl games in 17 seasons, including a couple of 10 win seasons. I would think with the academic requirements at NU, it would be tougher to win their than IU. I think most IU fans would be happy if he coached here for 17 seasons and we went to 10 bowl games. My opinion is that if he can do that at NU, he could do even better at IU. Despite the last couple rough seasons, he had a winning overall record at NU...when was the last IU coach who left with a  winning record?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Well, Allen did recruit Penix. He did hire DeBoer and Wommack and others... He did provide a sense of leadership that came with integrity and passion.

I think his time ran out. I am all for a change because he unfortunately didn't get it done. But to sit back and throw dirt on his name because he's gone is more of a reflection on the naysayers than him.

He didn't work out. Really sucks. And so we move on. But he did show us what's capable. He did make us believe that success can be attained here.

The issue with a coach like Allen is brain drain. The good staffers go out the door and leaves no one for continuity. Need a guy with a proven system (I’d prefer offensive minded) that can recruit athletes. Main thing is when staffers leave the system doesn’t have to change.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

While it is true that Northwestern is in the weaker of the Big Ten divisions, he took a historically poor Northwestern program to 10 bowl games in 17 seasons, including a couple of 10 win seasons. I would think with the academic requirements at NU, it would be tougher to win their than IU. I think most IU fans would be happy if he coached here for 17 seasons and we went to 10 bowl games. My opinion is that if he can do that at NU, he could do even better at IU. Despite the last couple rough seasons, he had a winning overall record at NU...when was the last IU coach who left with a  winning record?

Would he still be able to recruit after the scandal? Add a lot of negative perception to a school that already struggles with it…yeah I don’t think now is the time for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Names that stick out to me are Kane Wommack, Sherrone Moore and Justin Frye.

Womack has successful history as DC at Indiana and has done decent down south since he left. Not sure gow he is on the recruiting front.

Moore and Frye both have come from Big Ten success at UM and OSU and I think would be successful recruiters in the midwest. May have better options though than Indiana or would wait out for better options in a year or 2.

Looked into Frye...IU Alum from Elwood, IN...Associate Head Coach for offense at Ohio State...

Of course, after yesterday, the Buckeye faithful probably want him :) 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson would like Fitzgerald but Whitten has to sign off on that. Candle will be the likely hire if everything goes well. If things fall through with the first 2 then it will be Chryst. Dolson is doing a good job so far. He just has to get things finalized.

Thanks for the info, DC.  I like that Whitten is engaged.  Huge hire for the school.  

Cignetti or Candle would be very nice gets.   Chryst knows what he’s doing.  Average (not bad) record at Pitt.   Good record at Wisconsin but he took over a train rolling down the tracks already so it’s not like he built anything up; it was more like inertia.  I don’t know if that fits our circumstance.  They also were frustrated by his lack of energy recruiting.   We need a guy who can BUILD.   That would take an essay to explain from infrastructure etc   

• Like 1