Auburn Post Game

Inequality

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Your panicking is other people's discussing. 

Plenty of time left in the season. But, if we lose to Kansas, given how bad the Big Ten is, making the tournament will require a really strong conference finish. 

I think Ware and Reneau potentially separate us in conference, but we'll need a healthy XJ. 

I hope you’re right, but if we just assume we win as many at home as we lose on the road in the B1G the rest of the way that would put us at 11-9 in the conference. I don’t think that will be enough to get us in the field.

I hope I’m wrong, but this team has quite the uphill battle because of how poorly the first month has gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I hope you’re right, but if we just assume we win as many at home as we lose on the road in the B1G the rest of the way that would put us at 11-9 in the conference. I don’t think that will be enough to get us in the field.

I hope I’m wrong, but this team has quite the uphill battle because of how poorly the first month has gone. 

I don't think 11-9, minus a Kansas OOC win, does it either. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Plenty of time left in the season. But, if we lose to Kansas, given how bad the Big Ten is, making the tournament will require a really strong conference finish. 

From what I've seen of the Big Ten, no one outside the Top 5 in conference should get in.  That said, no reason why IU cant be in the Top 5.  

I think we beat Kansas, but I dont think it is a must win.  Heck, if we beat Kansas and then turn around and finish 9th in conference, we're not getting in either.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Auburn was 14-16 the year before Pearl.

We were 12-15 in Archie's last season.

Not seeing the difference.

Auburn from when they made the S16 in 2003 until Pearl was hired didn’t make a single NIT and only had two seasons over .500. It was a Crean level rebuild with less resources that Pearl had.

EDIT: Archie also missed out on probably 5 buy games that last season too. The difference in 17-15 and under .500 9 times in 11 seasons is a lot. 

Edited by KoB2011

Just now, 5fouls said:

From what I've seen of the Big Ten, no one outside the Top 5 in conference should get in.  That said, no reason why IU cant be in the Top 5.  

I think we beat Kansas, but I dont think it is a must win.  Heck, if we beat Kansas and then turn around and finish 9th in conference, we're not getting in either.

It's not must win, but it changes, at least a bit, our margin of error. 

Agree on the Big Ten. Long way to go, but I think we need to probably meed to finish 3rd and beat Kansas to be really, really safe on Selection Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on the Big Ten. Long way to go, but I think we need to probably meed to finish 3rd and beat Kansas to be really, really safe on Selection Sunday. 

I’m not sure even thinking about the standings is all that relevant with unbalanced schedules.

We could be second at 21-11 on Selection Sunday with a NET of 68 and miss it.

Kansas game is huge, but so are the Purdue games, the Illinois game, the Wisconsin games and the MSU game. If we lose all of those, I’m not sure we have the resume to get in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I like you as a poster but this is just an absolutely trash post. Get over yourself, you're not smarter than anyone. 

Cool. Thanks for the compliment. Never said I was smarter I just see things differently. Won't respond to some of the other stuff. Seems the emotional stuff is playing itself out.

Considering the trouncings from Uconn and Auburn, a win over Kansas/Self looks optimistic.  Hope we can win, but it will require much improved defense whole game.  Personally, I’d like to see CMW not worry (sub for) if any of these get 2 fouls: Gallo, Mgbako, Walker, Cupps.  Only Malik needs to sit and be saved.  Ware is not a concern based on his usual passive D.  He just doesn’t foul much at all.  Lastly, if we go on a run, let’s ride that as long as we can.  If KU starts running up a lead, CALL a timeout to break momentum.    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For everyone slobbering all over Pearl.  He is in his 10th season at Auburn.  In Pearl's 3rd season with the Tigers he finished 18-14 overall and 11th in the SEC.  He missed the tournament (Woodson is in his 3rd at IU for those that may be slow to comprehend the point).  

Oh, and in his 7th year at Auburn, the Tigers were ineligible for the tournament due to NCAA infractions.

So, in summary.

- We want a coach that can't get his team into the tournament until the 4th year with the program.

- We want a coach that has been in trouble with the NCAA at multiple coaching spots.

The Pearl vs. Woodson comparison is just stupid and unfair to Coach Woodson.  

Don’t forget as fans we should be able to criticize Woodson for each mistake but credit all of his successes on the failures of opponents. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

@Seeking6 was more "right" last year than a lot of people were...

So he's at least more clairvoyant... 

Appreciate the hat tip but it's not even about being right. We are 9 games into a 33+ game season. 60-70% of the kids on the floor are new. Down our gas pedal. Just don't see the need for panic from our fans. Our team has gotten better every year under the current staff. No reason to think we won't again. Keep the faith @IUFLA as I know you will!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Right now we are in first place in the big ten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m not sure even thinking about the standings is all that relevant with unbalanced schedules.

We could be second at 21-11 on Selection Sunday with a NET of 68 and miss it.

Kansas game is huge, but so are the Purdue games, the Illinois game, the Wisconsin games and the MSU game. If we lose all of those, I’m not sure we have the resume to get in. 

True, if we lose to Kansas we could need 13-14 Big Ten wins to be safely off the bubble. 

• Like 1

Good grief, why is it so hard for some of you guys to ignore others? If you dislike their comments/opinions so much you won’t debate them, then ignore them. 

I’m beyond disappointed and frustrated with CMW because in year 3 with the transfer portal we don’t have good enough players. Bottom line. Anybody would have a hard time persuading me otherwise. I’m not ready to kick him to the curb bc I think he has earned some latitude, but it’s certainly not trending in the right direction. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Good grief, why is it so hard for some of you guys to ignore others? If you dislike their comments/opinions so much you won’t debate them, then ignore them. 

I’m beyond disappointed and frustrated with CMW because in year 3 with the transfer portal we don’t have good enough players. Bottom line. Anybody would have a hard time persuading me otherwise. I’m not ready to kick him to the curb bc I think he has earned some latitude, but it’s certainly not trending in the right direction. 

Don’t forget the NIL era. We have a huge advantage in that regard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Hear me out. Our 3 point defense is better in a zone because we have the length at positions 3, 4 and 5 to bother shooters. 

Woodson has to try it more.  I like the idea. It would also help keeping our guys out of foul trouble.  Need to find ways to maximize the teams strengths which at this point is size and post scoring and not much else. I would also like to see a some post ups ran for Mgbako against teams that play 3 guards. I'd also like to see him used at the 4 so he can drive.  He is automatic at the foul line and Woodson has to find ways to get him in positions to get there more often.

• Like 3

I said it within the first 3-4 games but it’s absolutely criminal we had an open scholarship and we did not add a guard. If I was a journalist, I would have pressed Woody by now and asked him what the thought process was there. Even as a fan it was painfully obvious:

Galloway- has never shown the ability to be a high volume perimeter scorer. He’s our starting SHOOTING guard.

Newton- staff knew he had a knee injury and would need time. Did X’s injury last year not teach us the importance of depth and filling all 13 spots?! 

Gunn/Leal- Haven’t seen since Oladipo or OG a player make a giant leap from one year to the next. I’m not sure what inspired so much confidence from their performances last season. 

Cupps- He was recruited to be a long-term PG, so nobody was expecting him to come in and light it up. 

It’s just so frustrating because Ware and Reneau have been really good this season and just a small amount of perimeter scoring or guards who can create shots for themselves would go a long way. 

• Like 6

Coach Knight was a coaching genius winning with less. IUs legendary status was because of its coach. The results since his departure has made that clear as day. Sure, there were some great players along the way but they came here because they wanted to play for a legend. A great basketball mind to make them better. A true leader of men.

I don’t think we will ever regain that level of success. I’ve lowered my expectations to just beating Purdue.

The amount of disrespect IU gets from the talking heads is absurd. A strong IU program makes college basketball better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2