Auburn Post Game

Inequality

18 minutes ago, Kdug said:

NET at this point in the season is meaningless. Maryland is 73 in kenpom and Michigan is 53. If Michigan finds a way to be average on defense they’ll end up in the top 40.

According to kenpom we are 78 and I think the only two worse teams are Minnesota and Penn State.  We better pray he is wrong.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not even about winning or losing. It's about getting completely exposed and dominated in these games. 

Valid point. It realizes how far we have to go. If this was a high caliber game against 2 good teams and we happened to lose, I think the disappointment would be a lot less. We’re not playing in the same stratosphere.

Woodson is about playing these neutral court games against high quality competition and I think we can applaud that (after all its year 3) but we need to be able to put a product on the floor that can sustain quality play and compete. 

Edited by Hoosier987

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t know as much about basketball or leadership as Mike Woodson but spotting teams 15 points based on scheme seems pretty stupid to me.

It’s weird that no one coaches who do know as much as him about basketball and leadership chooses to play this way. 

It is just hard to compete at a high level in the current basketball paradigm if you don't have the 3 ball as an integral part of your game.  We have 2 ball dominant interior players on our team who are almost always more likely to view a 1 on 2 or 3 shot in the lane as a better one than one of their teammates could put up behind the arc wide open if they got them the ball. 

We scheme to get the ball into the paint.  Other teams scheme to get the ball to a 3 point shooter or a guy breaking down a defense off the drive.  If you have set shooters on your team, you can't expect to do well behind the arc thinking they are going to go 1 on 1 all the time.  Cupps can shoot.  I think a set Gunn can shoot.  A set Galloway can shoot.  A set Mgbako can shoot.  Our offense is not designed to get them those set shots.  It is designed to move the ball around to get proper passing angles into the post.  And once it goes in there it has a less than 25% chance of coming back out.  We prefer contested 2's and fall away 8 footers to wide open 3's.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I stopped reading half way through the pages here, but a request: if you're an optimist, please don't crap on the people who are pessimists.  And vice versa.  It does nothing to add to the discussion.

The optimists mostly haven’t showed up. Which is funny because they call out folks for not showing up after wins. 

• Like 2

Liked seeing Cupps look for his shot more, we started the game firing from 3, and ended up scoring 76 against a top 15-20 defensive team. Beyond that, there wasn't a whole lot of positives to take out of this game.  We make twice as many 3's as our season average, but give up 14.  A lot where contested or step backs, and there isn't much you can do about it, except having guys that can do the same thing on your roster.  This season is far from lost, and looking at rest of the Big 10, this team can probably get to 12-13 conference wins, but next season, Woodson has to finds some guards who can create and make tough shots. 

10 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

Buy out money should be in the process of being gathered, and back channel discussions with coaches for next year should be well under way. That is, if the AD is competent. Woody should have plenty of nap time coming in March of ‘24.

Just stop, please. These are the posters I was talking about. Clueless 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Genuine thoughts on Woodson as a coach? Year 3 and another pathetic, embarrassing, and damning loss for the program.. this is why we’re irrelevant. Woodson can recruit but cannot coach college.

My genuine thoughts:

1. Posts like this are ridiculous.

2. There is little difference between coaching in college and coaching in the NBA.

3. "Woodson can recruit" is an interesting statement.  Yes he certainly can, but other than Jalen Hood- Schifino, he really hasn't brought a guard in for 3 recruiting classes that is going to allow us to win at the level we expect.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, there are "clueless" people on each side of the spectrum. This is no more tone deaf than a lot of the defense of the season thus far. 

It is not like we are 2-7 but are 7-2. Yes we looked terrible today but it looks s still early in the season. We are 1-0 I'm the conference and most teams in the Big 10 won't play like Auburn or UCONN.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is absolutely not a "fire Woodson" post. I've largely been pleased with Woodson, but I also think there are some real concerns at this point. 

One thing that has really been puzzling to me is that when he got here he was all but taking credit for the move to high-volume 3pt shooting in the NBA. 

He was claiming his Hawks teams were the first ones to do this. 

But now, he is very defensive and dismissive when the media asks about our inside focused, low-volume 3pt shooting offense. He's kind of changed his tune there. 

Part of that is tailoring his system to his roster, which I'm a big fan of. But then the question needs to be asked, "why in year 3 do we still have such a poorly constructed roster with no guards or wings that can create anything or git any shot outside the paint?

It's all just really puzzling. 

I thought Woodson mentioned more than once that the offensive approach was going to change when TJD left. He appears to doubled down on this offensive approach.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The optimists mostly haven’t showed up. Which is funny because they call out folks for not showing up after wins. 

Oh we showed up.....it's the pedaling cynicism as wisdom crowd after any loss that makes the emotional intelligence crowd just log out. You guys have a fun time. Catch up down the road. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is not like we are 2-7 but are 7-2. Yes we looked terrible today but it looks s still early in the season. We are 1-0 I'm the conference and most teams in the Big 10 won't play like Auburn or UCONN.

We have lost every game we've played against tournament quality teams. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I thought Woodson mentioned more than once that the offensive approach was going to change when TJD left. He appears to doubled down on this offensive approach.

Yeah, I think he had hoped for that, most likely. But I guess it didn't workout recruiting-wise in the Spring. 

• Like 1