Auburn Post Game

Inequality

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Was leading 22-10 but after that everything fell apart. Not saying the seasons will play out the same. In 1989 we gave up over 100 points 3 times which were the first 3 times a RMK teams had given up 100 points. Everything looked bleak because we couldn't beat the top teams UNC, Syracuse and UL. That team ended up winning the big ten despite the big ten being great that year.

Bob Knight isn't coaching this team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just so I throw it in here as well. 

Here's my contribution to the post game thread. We beat Kansas next week. Just a bad day at the office. Kudos to Auburn. With Trey out early with foul trouble, no Xavier.....they took advantage of our weakest link. It's one game.

Get the kids home. Grab their attention a little bit this week and I expect a much better version next Saturday. No need for the doom and gloom. It was an a-- kicking. That's it.

It isn’t doom and gloom to call a spade a spade, though. This team has played two teams with a pulse this year and lost by a combined 48 points.

Im going to do my best to avoid sweeping statements for now, but that isn’t close to good enough at Indiana. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn’t make that comment, but playing feel is advocate, what is different about how we play under Woodson as opposed to Archie?

The talent is better under Woodson, but what’s different about the brand of basketball?

We are winning more and actually making the tournament. We finished second in the big ten last year. Those things are different 

• Like 2

I said it in the game thread and I’ll say it here.  Until Woodson decides to shrink the rotation to 7 or 8 and make guys earn their playing time, nothing will change. He also needs to be more strategic with when he subs.  Swapping 4 or 5 out at a time, especially when you have momentum is simply ignorant.  Crean and Archie level stuff.

Edited by CTrojan88
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

What’s most frustrating to me about that game was Auburn played hard and fast until the very end. 

Effort was the #1 factor in the game.  And, the #2.  And #3, etc.  

IU needs to show more pride.  They were not going to win the game as well as Auburn played.  But, it could have easily been a 10-12 point game with better effort.

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

We are winning more and actually making the tournament. We finished second in the big ten last year. Those things are different 

That didn’t answer my question. What’s different about the brand of basketball? I already said the talent is better, what’s different about how we are going about playing the game?

• Like 1

Just now, CTrojan88 said:

I said it in the game thread and I’ll say it here.  Until Woodson decides to shrink the rotation to 7 or 8 and make guys earn their playing time, nothing will change. He also needs to be more strategic with subbing.  Swapping 4 or 5 out at a time, especially when you have momentum is simply ignorant.  Crean and Archie level stuff.

Maybe he had to sub more because four or five guys have been sick this week

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

Looking forward to next weekend. Lots to dissect and figure out for the staff. Hopefully X can come back and be effective. 

P.S. - I don’t think many expected us to do much this season, if we’re being honest. That being said, we just weren’t competitive today.

Agreed that we have a lot to dissect.

I will say that more often than not we find ourselves saying this is a rebuild season…myself included. I’m just tired of having to say it and think it 4 out of every 5 years. It’s very frustrating.

• Like 2

74 points should have gave us a chance. 

Auburn hit a ton of step back and push off and stop shots. They shot way above there average. I know everybody seems too. The holloway kid hasn’t shot well must of the year and hit a bunch of challenged shots. 

Not our day. Maybe the illness running through the team had something to do with. Probably never will know. 

Need to see play with more effort and passion 

On to next game

Bring in Kansas. another tough matchup

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Looking forward to next weekend. Lots to dissect and figure out for the staff. Hopefully X can come back and be effective. 

P.S. - I don’t think many expected us to do much this season, if we’re being honest. That being said, we just weren’t competitive today.

I like the way Cupps plays.  But that Holloway kid is exactly the same size and age as Gabe. What a contrast today.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn’t make that comment, but playing devils advocate, what is different about how we play under Woodson as opposed to Archie?

The talent is better under Woodson, but what’s different about the brand of basketball?

I’m not an expert on X’s and O’s. But Woodson has made the tourney 2 out of 2 times, with a top 4 seed one of those times. We’ve also recruited at a way higher level. Woodson isn’t the best college coach, but it’s night and day vs Archie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Don't know where that is coming from. I saw three McD's boys, a six year and a four year guard and thought we should be good. The guards have not been good enough, and that was certainly true today. 

• Like 5

We just lost to a team that just lost to Appalachian St. and by 26. You rose colored glass wearing fans think we will beat KU next week? Come on. WE HAVE NO GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT!!! When teams start making 3's we have no answer to that. B.Pearl in the pre-game said IU was a tournament team and maybe good enough to make the 2nd weekend. I think he over rated us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Effort was the #1 factor in the game.  And, the #2.  And #3, etc.  

IU needs to show more pride.  They were not going to win the game as well as Auburn played.  But, it could have easily been a 10-12 point game with better effort.

Effort indeed. It looked like we showed some during the first 5 min of the second half where it made me believe we could get it to single digits. Short-lived thought. Auburn was also a tougher team.