Auburn Post Game

Inequality

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I said aside from talent, you didn’t answer that. I’m talking about what we do on both ends - if you can’t have a conversation about the schemes we are running it’s fine, just don’t answer. 

I don't like  how we run the offense and the lack of guard play and shooting. The only thing that matters in the end is that we have won more than Archie did. The only thing that matters is wins/ losses and we have been better at this hat under Woodson

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

From the second half of Louisville until this game we looked better, but none of those four teams will sniff the tournament.

This team has its work cut out for them. Would love to see more fire starting at the top. 

I think that’s minimizing the last 2 games before Auburn. Maryland probably isn’t a tourney team, but we dominated that game until we let up late. Michigan was on the road, and they have an elite offense. I think they’ll be better in the big ten than a lot of people expect.

But I agree that this team still needs to improve, and this game is proof of that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He does know more than all of us and yes there have been entry saying that he shouldn't be the coach

Archie Miller knows more about basketball than all of us too, so what (and I am not and have not called to fire Woodson but that argument is stupid, even the ones suggesting someone different than Woodson aren't saying the should be coach).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten is not good.  I would strongly recommend IU finishing in Top 5 of conference.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I saw a thread somewhere saying the early hole we’ve dug with NET, KenPom, etc don’t matter though.

We could easily miss the tournament and be over .500 in conference if we don’t beat Kansas. 

I’m the game thread I mentioned there were three ACC teams that finished over 0.500 in a crappy conference and missed out on March. Clemson was 14-6. We really need that Kansas game. Like I said in the game thread, 11-9, 12-8 in conference might not cut it this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Here is my Top 7 that should get all the minutes vs Kansas.

XJ, Cupps, Galloway, Ware, Reneau, Walker, Mgbako (very, very hesitant on that one - Plays no D).  If XJ can’t go then Gunn or Leal depending on who has a better week of practice.  I would not waver from this unless injury or foul trouble dictated I had to.  I would have this 7 man approach every game and who is in it would be driven by practice performance.  Guys will buy in or sit/leave.

Yup…at a minimum shrink to 8. That gives us our best chance. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I said it in the game thread and I’ll say it here.  Until Woodson decides to shrink the rotation to 7 or 8 and make guys earn their playing time, nothing will change. He also needs to be more strategic with when he subs.  Swapping 4 or 5 out at a time, especially when you have momentum is simply ignorant.  Crean and Archie level stuff.

The Gunn stretch killed us today. He acted as if he never saw a press before and tried that fadeaway step back 3…. When he struggles shooting a normal shot.

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

Yup…at a minimum shrink to 8. That gives us our best chance. 

And 5 of the 7 above should all play 30+.  These guys are 18-22 years old, only play once or twice a week and get a 5 minute break every 4 minutes during the game.  There is no need for this constant subbing

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think that’s minimizing the last 2 games before Auburn. Maryland probably isn’t a tourney team, but we dominated that game until we let up late. Michigan was on the road, and they have an elite offense. I think they’ll be better in the big ten than a lot of people expect.

But I agree that this team still needs to improve, and this game is proof of that.

Michigan on the road was a Q2 win.  They are currently around 94 I believe in NET.  Maryland is ass (NET 184).  That was a Q4 win.  They are about as bad as it gets in the BIG right now.

ETA:  We were a NET 103 before the game today.  The only teams worse than that in the BIG right now are Minnesota, Penn St., and Maryland.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

Watching these games and the huge difference from these really good teams are the quality of the guards and wings. These big ten teams just lack the over athletic ability at the guards and wings and have trouble guarding these players. UW usually plays good defense and hard to score against. When they play teams like Arizona they can't guard them. Arizona up 85-60 with still 5 minutes to go 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Michigan on the road was a Q2 win.  They are currently around 94 I believe in NET.  Maryland is ass (NET 184).  That was a Q4 win.  They are about as bad as it gets in the BIG right now.

NET at this point in the season is meaningless. Maryland is 73 in kenpom and Michigan is 53. If Michigan finds a way to be average on defense they’ll end up in the top 40.

At my age, these things shouldn’t bother me, but watching a loss when the other team talked smack after every basket and our guys just take it and play worse still bothers me.

With Woodson, I see a parallel to Crean with the substitution patterns. I see a parallel to Archie with the style of play, pounding it inside while other teams hit 3’s. Seems like for 10 years I’ve been saying “3’s  beat 2’s. Let’s at least all be intellectually honest and say it’s an antiquated style. 
 None of this means that I’m being negative ( although it could be 20 years + pf frustrations coming out during these kinds of nationally televised routs), or that I’m calling for the coach’s job-yet. 
Bottom line is- everyone, including opponents, knows that guards are the weakness of this team. I want to give the staff credit by just saying we swung for the fences on some big names and didn’t have a plan B. But, long term, at the moment, unless XJ plays a 7th year, ( or transfers to Washington to play football and be a Heisman contender) what do we have coming in to make us think it’s going to change?

Rant over. Assembly Hall has been a tough place for higher ranked teams and maybe the boys were sick this week. Get some rest and don’t let Hunter Dickenson run roughshod next week, and all will be right with the world again.

• Like 3

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

If.

Exactly, not saying they’re an elite team. Just saying they do already have an elite offense. Also, there’s a high probability that ends up as a Q1 win since meaningful metrics have them as top 75, which is all that’s need to be a Q1 road win.

I think Woodson has a little Knight in him. I think he OK trying to play multiple guys trying to develop them for the back half of the season. He started to shorten the bench as the season went on and really the last 10 games or so

It really hurt not having Galloway out with fouls

Him and johnson are the only 2 guys that can create. Cupps will get better with time

Personally i’m Ok playing nine guys. Everybody had moments they struggled. Some had stretches of good play. Just not enough with 5 guys together

I’ll say it again. We really miss X against teams like this. 

Ware didn’t look himself 

8 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I think Dykes mentioned this, but it seems the Auburn guards pulled up in the lane and hit every mid range jump shot over Galloway they attempted. Sure looked like a lot of push offs, but still seems as if the Auburn coaching staff saw something.

More just guys hitting tough shots. If we force teams into those shots will win most games

11 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

I think Woodson has a little Knight in him. I think he OK trying to play multiple guys trying to develop them for the back half of the season. He started to shorten the bench as the season went on and really the last 10 games or so

It really hurt not having Galloway out with fouls

Him and johnson are the only 2 guys that can create. Cupps will get better with time

Personally i’m Ok playing nine guys. Everybody had moments they struggled. Some had stretches of good play. Just not enough with 5 guys together

I’ll say it again. We really miss X against teams like this. 

Ware didn’t look himself 

I think he absolutely doesn’t have Bob Knight in him. Can’t imagine Bob Knight watching a guy get hit in the face for a flagrant twice and not getting either call while standing there with a blank expression.

I don’t think the refs were a factor, but we had a good first five minutes of both halves and both those stretches were ended on what I believe should’ve been a flagrant and our coach sat there without a care in the world. 

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don’t know as much about basketball or leadership as Mike Woodson but spotting teams 15 points based on scheme seems pretty stupid to me.

It’s weird that no one coaches who do know as much as him about basketball and leadership chooses to play this way. 

• Thanks 1