Kansas Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, December 16th 12:30 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

Bill Self (21st year at Kansas 589-133) and his 2nd ranked Jayhawks (9-1) visit SSAH for a meeting with our Hoosiers. Kansas (currently #11 on Kenpom) has beaten North Carolina Central, Manhattan, 17th ranked (at the time in the Coaches Poll) Kentucky, Chaminade, 7th ranked Tennessee, Eastern Illinois, 4th ranked UConn, and Missouri, while losing to 4th ranked Marquette.

image.png.bbc6c547c6201e9eca1cb70d788f0434.png

image.png.e66be2a38f1812140eb57e7883b5983d.png

Led, of course, by former Michigan Wolverine, 3X All Big 10 selection and Consensus All American Hunter Dickinson. Dickinson averaged 18 ppg against IU in his career. Good rebounder and a decent passer and defender, but he will turn it over. 

Joining his in the starting lineup are 6'6 senior Kevin McCullar, 6'7 junior KJ Adams, 6'3 freshman Elmarko Jackson, and 6'1 junior PG Dajuan Harris. 6'9 freshman Johnny Furphy and 6'4 senior and former IU portal target Nick Timberlake get double digit minutes off the bench.

Though not a real high volume 3 point shooting club, they make them (39%) when they do take them. Not a great offensive rebounding team and mediocre from the line. Bill Self's teams always play good defense and this years club is no exception.

We've definitely got our work cut out for us here. Being at home helps, and hopefully the sting of getting trampled by Auburn resonates this week with our kids and we come out fighting...Kansas isn't as physical as Auburn, but Big 12 basketball is known to be rough and tumble...

Let's surprise some people this Saturday...

GO HOOSIERS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Don’t expect to win, do expect a better effort.

We have dug ourselves a very unfortunate hole in terms of making the tournament, we need to start playing like a tournament team now if we are going to save our season in January and February. So far, we’ve been nothing short of pathetic against both teams with a pulse we’ve played.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We really need a good ooc win for March, and this is our last chance. We’ve witnessed some great wins happen at The Assembly Hall, hopefully Saturday is another one. 

We COULD be looking back at this game saying “thank goodness we won that. It got us over the hump and in the tournament”. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We COULD be looking back at this game saying “thank goodness we won that. It got us over the hump and in the tournament”. 

A win here would certainly be a huge piece of the puzzle. It gives us a little more margin for error in B1G play where it doesn’t feel like we HAVE to win every big game. 

I don’t care what ESPN or anyone else says, when the Hall is rocking, which it will be Saturday, it’s the best home court in the NCAA. Period. We need to take full advantage of that and win this thing. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

A win here would certainly be a huge piece of the puzzle. It gives us a little more margin for error in B1G play where it doesn’t feel like we HAVE to win every big game. 

I don’t care what ESPN or anyone else says, when the Hall is rocking, which it will be Saturday, it’s the best home court in the NCAA. Period. We need to take full advantage of that and win this thing. 

Anything’s possible

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m looking for a game that Kansas goes away like Kensucky and says we’re not playing there again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Guard the 3 & block out!!!....thats all I want...

Unfortunately this is two of our biggest weaknesses.

I don't expect to win against Kansas, just a more talented and well constructed team.  What i do expect is to see 100% from everyone the whole game.  Play better defense and not overhelp.  Play hard and smart.  See some fire from both staff and players.  And adjustments to the game as its happening by the staff.  I will be really disappointed if we come back to our home court and roll over and take another 25+ point beating.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Nothing I've seen this season suggests this will be a game. If X cannot play it's likely to be as ugly as Auburn or worse.

The difference I see between Auburn and KU is that KU is not as athletic or are as deep. If we can get a couple of their starters in foul trouble they don't have much of a bench.