Kansas Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I will say that I won’t be surprised if we pull out a win and our problems will still persist for the next few weeks. 

Although we can’t guarantee the team will show up with the intensity they need on any given night, you can almost guarantee that the fans will show up with the intensity this team can feed off of. Assembly Hall has a way of willing these guys to hustle and play hard defense.

I give us a 40% chance to win. And there’s also no doubt that Gallo plays much better at home - so he is my pick to click. 

I like your optimism.

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Woodson getting pretty defensive in his pre Kansas press conference about 3 point shooting and defense 

"I'm gonna say this for the last time, guys, we take enough threes, we just need to make the ones we take and we work defensively to defend the three. We've had some struggles in that area. Hopefully tomorrow, we'll fix that. Hopefully"

IU is 360th (of 362) in three point attempts/game at 12.7. The median in CBB is 22.1

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't like the sounds of Coach when he said he doesn't know when Xavier is going to be back. That sounds like something along the lines of another few weeks.

I'm kind of at the place where I really don't expect to see X again.  That's not me knocking him or the staff either one to be clear. In a way this just all kind of feels like last year to me, a whole lot of indefinite time frames and "we don't knows."  My pessimism on this topic will really rise if we don't see him against Nebrasketball in January.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm kind of at the place where I really don't expect to see X again.  That's not me knocking him or the staff either one to be clear. In a way this just all kind of feels like last year to me, a whole lot of indefinite time frames and "we don't knows."  My pessimism on this topic will really rise if we don't see him against Nebrasketball in January.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong. 

So it isn't just me then.

I have started to get that feeling myself.  The school is generally tight lipped about injuries so at a certain point you start to question the severity of the injury.  He has been out 4 weeks at this point.  High ankle sprains usually go 6 to 12 weeks.  12 weeks is February 8th.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't like the sounds of Coach when he said he doesn't know when Xavier is going to be back. That sounds like something along the lines of another few weeks.

I’ll be a tall task tomorrow without a healthy XJ…thought he would be back by now, but obviously it’s worse than most thought, and may be more than a sprain. Just hope we can keep it close to give ourselves a chance for the upset. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

I hope im wrong but I just don’t see us winning. I don’t see a single matchup advantage (maybe Ware?) to exploit. Sounds like X won’t play. Bill Self is the best coach in CBB and our coach struggles to understand his own roster year after year and with his mass subbing I don’t have confidence in us keeping any momentum we may build.

Only way I see us winning is if we play like that UNC game last year and bring the defensive intensity from the start and get Kansas out of sorts. we’ll need extra possessions via turnovers and rebounds to have a shot. 

At the very least, I want to see this team play with their hair on fire because this is basically a do or die game if you don’t want to be biting your nails come selection Sunday. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All were larger than the 6.5 tomorrow

I assume you mean last five at home against top ten teams where we were unranked, yeah?

Even so, I don’t think you’re correct on the lines. The most recent top ten home game where we were unranked I can find is Purdue two years ago and that line wasn’t 6.5…

EDIT: only comparable line I could find in those 5 games was Michigan, and they blew us out for the one loss. The rest we either were slight favorites or slight dogs.

So at best the info on the lines seems mixed on the veracity. 

Edited by KoB2011

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I assume you mean last five at home against top ten teams where we were unranked, yeah?

Even so, I don’t think you’re correct on the lines. The most recent top ten home game where we were unranked I can find is Purdue two years ago and that line wasn’t 6.5…

EDIT: only comparable line I could find in those 5 games was Michigan, and they blew us out for the one loss. The rest we either were slight favorites or slight dogs.

So at best the info on the lines seems mixed on the veracity. 

I’m pretty sure one of those games would’ve been when we beat #6 MSU in the 2018-2019 season. We were 6.5 dogs at the closing line in that game.

Edited by Kdug

3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

At the very least, I want to see this team play with their hair on fire because this is basically a do or die game if you don’t want to be biting your nails come selection Sunday. 

Not sure I'd call a December non-conference game "do or die" for our postseason hopes, but we could certainly do ourselves a huge favor by winning. 

• Like 2

IU needs to make this an ugly game. KS assists on 73% of its shot attempts. They also score in transition. Their average possession is 16 seconds. IU can’t turn it over. 
IU needs to be very patient on offense and disrupt timing on the defensive end. Should be a battle inside. KS doesn’t typically shoot many threes, but they make 38% IU needs to be solid on the boards. Can’t allow second chance points. 

A lot of prospective recruits in attendance. IU needs to play with a lot of energy and effort. They need to be very physical and keep the score down. Officiating will be important. Reneau has to stay out of foul trouble. 

I’ll be working today, so I’ll have to record and try to avoid the score. 

• Like 2