Kansas Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

KS is a dominant defensive team. They only allow 65 ppg and are 27th in DRtg. Only two teams have scored over 70 against them, KY (90.6 ppg) and Marquette (79 ppg), two high scoring teams. They held TN to 60, UConn to 65 and MO to 64. By contrast, IU is allowing 73 ppg and is 270th in DRtng. IU is 182nd in ORtng.  I expect IU to struggle to reach 65 in this one. 

• Sad 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:23 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm so pumped to be there!  i don't think there's much chance of a win, but i expect it to be rockin and a competitive game.  if not, my rate of drinking will definitely help numb it.  

You inspired me do figured I’d look for a deal real quick and just found 3 tix for me and my two boys section KK row 4 for $100 each, that seemed decent to me. Here’s hoping for some AH magic! 

• Like 7

On 12/12/2023 at 12:47 AM, Cbp4IU said:

IU needs to somehow knock down 7 3s and 1

shoot 75+% from the line to win this. Shorten the bench especially if X is back. If X is back start cupps X and Galloway. 

Our perimeter defense will need to be much better. IU made six threes against Auburn, a season high, and was outscored by 24 from three. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Our perimeter defense will need to be much better. IU made six threes against Auburn, a season high, and was outscored by 24 from three. 

We do need to do better, but I also think Auburn shot out of their minds.....I mean when their coach is quoted saying, "Hey take it easy on IU because we couldn't have played any better than we did"....I mean I want us to show more fight and resolve too, but I think we just ran into a buzzsaw, maybe even had some guys overlooking that game with the anticipation of the ruckus environment that the Hall will be Saturday!

• Like 2

It’s just killing the big network that IU sits at the top of the big right now.  They won’t even talk about them. Revsen is such a no talent punk. A dip sit who couldn’t out dribble a second grader wearing a skirt. Talking about a game he has no knowledge of except what’s on paper. Always sucking PUs ….

46 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, our defense was the way bigger issue vs Auburn. Our offense scored 1.02 points per possession against a top 20 defensive team. That should’ve been good enough to win the game or at the very least remain competitive.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

OK, which one of you is Martha? Quit stealing my material

13th&Jackson

On 12/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Hoosier987 said:

Speaking of 3 point shots…we are an incredibly extreme outlier

E7EB7D55-F368-495E-B28C-0685EB15D247.jpeg

Expand  

Credit to IU, I guess for self awareness. 

Man, Baylor's just about perfect. They are averaging 9-21 threes per game. Four players playing 23-28 minutes, each shooting over 40% from three. A fifth, playing 27 minutes, averaging 38%. They shoot 57% from two. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

We do need to do better, but I also think Auburn shot out of their minds.....I mean when their coach is quoted saying, "Hey take it easy on IU because we couldn't have played any better than we did"....I mean I want us to show more fight and resolve too, but I think we just ran into a buzzsaw, maybe even had some guys overlooking that game with the anticipation of the ruckus environment that the Hall will be Saturday!

They'd have won if they shot in the teens from three.... 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

OK, which one of you is Martha? Quit stealing my material

13th&Jackson

On 12/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Hoosier987 said:

Speaking of 3 point shots…we are an incredibly extreme outlier

E7EB7D55-F368-495E-B28C-0685EB15D247.jpeg

Expand  

Credit to IU, I guess for self awareness. 

Man, Baylor's just about perfect. They are averaging 9-21 threes per game. Four players playing 23-28 minutes, each shooting over 40% from three. A fifth, playing 27 minutes, averaging 38%. They shoot 57% from two. 

Wouldn't be the first time for that account. Stopped following it years ago.

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Kind of stand alone, I think the defense was a big issue but even with our scoring I still think the offense is a problem.

The offense isn’t perfect, 3 point shooting remains an issue and we could still use some improvement on that end. But since the Harvard game it’s been mostly fine. Not good, but fine.

From an efficiency standpoint, we rank 48th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 133rd in adjusted defensive efficiency since 11/25 using trank. Both ends could use work, but the defensive end needs a lot more work than the offense.

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The offense isn’t perfect, 3 point shooting remains an issue and we could still use some improvement on that end. But since the Harvard game it’s been mostly fine. Not good, but fine.

From an efficiency standpoint, we rank 48th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 133rd in adjusted defensive efficiency since 11/25 using trank. Both ends could use work, but the defensive end needs a lot more work than the offense.

Realistically it's both, right? Defense can only climb so high, and if you're "good" end of the floor is only 45th that probably isn't good enough.

We really need the offense to be a Top 25 offense and try to get the defense to climb to around Top 50 IMO. 

• Like 1

To me the object is to score points and if you score 76 points you should win most games. I don't care if you hit 1 3 pointer or 15 3 pointers. After 1987 and the 3 pointers came into affect RMK best teams averaged over 80 PPG. They didn't rely on it and probably made 7-9 a game but had a good percentage. If we can just get to hitting that amount we should be fine.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Realistically it's both, right? Defense can only climb so high, and if you're "good" end of the floor is only 45th that probably isn't good enough.

We really need the offense to be a Top 25 offense and try to get the defense to climb to around Top 50 IMO. 

Agreed it is both. I just think the offensive end is way closer to where we need it to be vs the defensive end.

I feel like our offenses lack of 3s is a hot button topic, and it is an issue. I just don’t think it’s one of the top 2 or 3 things I’m worried about.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the object is to score points and if you score 76 points you should win most games. I don't care if you hit 1 3 pointer or 15 3 pointers. After 1987 and the 3 pointers came into affect RMK best teams averaged over 80 PPG. They didn't rely on it and probably made 7-9 a game but had a good percentage. If we can just get to hitting that amount we should be fin

You do realize it’s relative though right?  If Auburn isn’t scoring at-will and we’re having much better defensive possessions, we don’t get as many possessions on offense and don’t score as much …..tough to say the offense was good when we scored like 6 points in the last 10 min of the first half. I’d say the offense was very good the first ten minutes, but not sure after that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

Agreed it is both. I just think the offensive end is way closer to where we need it to be vs the defensive end.

I feel like our offenses lack of 3s is a hot button topic, and it is an issue. I just don’t think it’s one of the top 2 or 3 things I’m worried about.

I would probably agree with that because of how bad the defense is. But the lack of spacing and shooting is the difference in a top 25 offense and a top 50 offense. 

so... i am so pumped to start my long weekend in Bloomington and definitely wearing the candy striped warm-ups pants to the game, but i just read a good article previewing the game and the more i think about it, the less optimistic of being very close.  in my mind our big strength is negated with their bigs.  of course you can say our bigs are the best duo they've seen so far too.  we'll see, but i don't like the idea of if they negate each other, i have more faith in their guards than ours.  i will be behind the Kansas bench with candy stripes and yelling at Hunter Dickinson.  

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so... i am so pumped to start my long weekend in Bloomington and definitely wearing the candy striped warm-ups pants to the game, but i just read a good article previewing the game and the more i think about it, the less optimistic of being very close.  in my mind our big strength is negated with their bigs.  of course you can say our bigs are the best duo they've seen so far too.  we'll see, but i don't like the idea of if they negate each other, i have more faith in their guards than ours.  i will be behind the Kansas bench with candy stripes and yelling at Hunter Dickinson.  

Wear a ski mask! Heck bring a bag full and hand them out to everyone!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1