Kansas post game

Inequality

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

One blown call typically does not impact the outcome. Even if it costs a possession that can be overcame, ie one less turnover.

Some variation of your last two lines comes up all the time here, and it's just wrong. No one is suggesting that refs are so bad that one team doesn't even have a chance to win, but if the refs are calling things against one team, then the other team has to win by more than just one. That's what the complaints are about. If you broke down last yesterday's game, do you honestly think it would be exactly even? If it's not, then one team, maybe it was even us, received points that they should not have. There's no way that all the calls refs make in a given game even out perfectly. One team is disadvantaged and it make it harder for them to win that game.

I certainly agree that refs aren't against us, or anyone else, but I do think successful teams get the benefit of the doubt more than they deserve. We haven't reached that level in quite a while, so that works against us when we play a team like Kansas. I also think some coaches are more effective than others at lobbying refs. We haven't had one of those coaches in the 20 years I have been an IU fan. I also think some players are good at lobbying refs and some are so bad at it that they probably cost themselves calls (eg. Xavier Johnson). And, some players get a reputation (De'Ron Davis comes to mind) and get whistled for things that a lot of other guys are getting away with. As a whole, yes, I think those things add up to the calls going against us more often than the other way around. Never so bad that we don't have a chance, but we sometimes have a lesser chance that the play on the court dictates.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Dickinson has about 40 pounds on Ware. If he’s allowed to push Ware under the basket, there isn’t much he can do. Wait until you see Edey, who has about 80 pounds on Ware and can do whatever he wants inside

Agreed, Ware is definitely not physical enough to just try to push Dickinson or Edey around. But what he does have is  athleticism and quickness on both of them. He needs to be coached to use his strengths not let them dictate how he plays.

12 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Some variation of your last two lines comes up all the time here, and it's just wrong. No one is suggesting that refs are so bad that one team doesn't even have a chance to win, but if the refs are calling things against one team, then the other team has to win by more than just one. That's what the complaints are about. If you broke down last yesterday's game, do you honestly think it would be exactly even? If it's not, then one team, maybe it was even us, received points that they should not have. There's no way that all the calls refs make in a given game even out perfectly. One team is disadvantaged and it make it harder for them to win that game.

I certainly agree that refs aren't against us, or anyone else, but I do think successful teams get the benefit of the doubt more than they deserve. We haven't reached that level in quite a while, so that works against us when we play a team like Kansas. I also think some coaches are more effective than others at lobbying refs. We haven't had one of those coaches in the 20 years I have been an IU fan. I also think some players are good at lobbying refs and some are so bad at it that they probably cost themselves calls (eg. Xavier Johnson). And, some players get a reputation (De'Ron Davis comes to mind) and get whistled for things that a lot of other guys are getting away with. As a whole, yes, I think those things add up to the calls going against us more often than the other way around. Never so bad that we don't have a chance, but we sometimes have a lesser chance that the play on the court dictates.

Exactly even. No. And sure there is likely always one team that gets a slight advantage by calls. But if I had the time and desire to do so I feel sure could go through most any game and for every call against a team I could find one that they benefitted from as well.

I agree pretty much with all of your last paragraph. Some players, coaches, teams of course do influence calls more than others. Your example of Johnson is a very good one. Too much whining and complaining likely will cost you calls. 

You referenced 20 years so you wouldn't have been around for what I am about to say. But for years on end one of the most common phrases in regard to IU basketball was "They have made more free throws than their opponent has attempted." That was a direct result of a coach getting calls. 

And ironically yesterday on the pregame show one of Eric Suhre's keys for an IU win was "hopefully get some home cooking from the refs."

• Like 1

You will never convince me these don’t happen all the time 

1.  Refs call the game in a way that favors one team 

example Auburn wants to play fast & physical…the refs let them against you guys.  

B.  Home court teams that play aggressive.  Seen plenty of refs go along for the ride on the emotional wave 

example IU & Purdue at NW last year 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DWB said:

The one call that the refs always miss (or ignore) is the moving screen, or a hip/shoulder butt, and shuffling the feet by the screener. I bet they miss 50 of those (both teams) in every game. Wish it would be a "point of emphasis".

Yessssss.  Thank you.  Players today are so flipping lazy when they set that screen.  It is a moving screen or foul on almost every play and it is rarely called.

3 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Reading all the complaints about officiating got me curious so I went and checked out the Kansas board. Unsurprisingly they see things totally differently. It took 3 pages of their game thread to find all these gems.

#1 for Indiana hasn’t set a legitimate pick all day. Every time he is setting a pick he leans his shoulder out or steps out with his elbow fully extended. He never comes to a full stop with his feet

Wait, wasn’t Kansas a finalist for Ware?  And the fans don’t even know who he is?!?

That is golden……

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Dickinson has about 40 pounds on Ware. If he’s allowed to push Ware under the basket, there isn’t much he can do. Wait until you see Edey, who has about 80 pounds on Ware and can do whatever he wants inside

The thing is Ware didn’t try to box him out..he was basically standing straight up and even took a step towards the basket..it was lackadaisical in a massive moment…the whole game he battled Hunter very well but that definitely was a massive mistake with game on the line 

First game at IU. It was a great environment yesterday, Assembly was very loud and fans were intense.  Videos were great as well.  KU has veteran guys and Self is a master at closing out games late when we have trailed.  But, one or two plays go different, and IU wins.  It was a great college game.  One thing I do not agree o is X, I think Gabe played very well, I think Harris would have gotten X to make lots of mistakes.  IU puts in that effort forward it will be a good season, lots of talent and athletic.  BTW stayed at Union, very nice.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Boxergracie said:

First game at IU. It was a great environment yesterday, Assembly was very loud and fans were intense.  Videos were great as well.  KU has veteran guys and Self is a master at closing out games late when we have trailed.  But, one or two plays go different, and IU wins.  It was a great college game.  One thing I do not agree o is X, I think Gabe played very well, I think Harris would have gotten X to make lots of mistakes.  IU puts in that effort forward it will be a good season, lots of talent and athletic.  BTW stayed at Union, very nice.

Hopefully you have a Boxer named Gracie 🐾 

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

No... Out of bounds off Kel'el to Kansas

While I can agree that bad calls can go both ways, there are, it seems to me, momentum calls that can swing a game, and I think this blown call qualifies. Instead of Ware slamming home a dunk, or at least getting two free throws, the ball was turned over to Kansas and IU was robbed of a great momentum play. Probably a great (foul) play by Harris.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

While I can agree that bad calls can go both ways, there are, it seems to me, momentum calls that can swing a game, and I think this blown call qualifies. Instead of Ware slamming home a dunk, or at least getting two free throws, the ball was turned over to Kansas and IU was robbed of a great momentum play. Probably a great (foul) play by Harris.

Especially that one...we were up 9 early in the 2nd...After that play, Jackson came down and hit a 3...5 point swing...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 6:48 PM, Muddy River said:

Wait, wasn’t Kansas a finalist for Ware?  And the fans don’t even know who he is?!?

That is golden……

We know who Ware is/was but the goal was Dickinson and everyone knew it.  Regardless of opinions of Dickinson, he has been great and will only get better with KU’s staff v Michigan.