Kansas post game

Inequality

14 minutes ago, HPER Smooth said:

I've sat by silently going back to the Eric Gordon days. But our young and newly constructed team plays it's heart out and pushes the #2 team in the country to the finish- and hoosiernation is largely still grousing about our players, coaches, rotations, recruiting. Who needs to be recruited over, pushed out, fired etc...And you wonder why we lose out on so many recruiting battles.

Luckily, there were a lot of great recruits at the game who can see the weekly development of our underclassman and the heart our team put on the court yesterday. Sometimes when you lose, you win.

My team is on the floor.

Fans don’t recruit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rewatching the game it's tragic that when we fought through a screen, invariably a foul was called...I haven't seen one time they got called for the same thing...

Yep. Even with one eye open late last night I had to go back and watch and noticed the same.

I usually am the first to be able take a game in, take the good/bad and move on....but I felt myself ticked this morning because of how we lost that one. We shortened the bench because of need but by shortening the bench our guys were gassed.

I'll get over this one today but man that one still hurts. The good news I guess is 1 week removed from Auburn I know we have a much better team.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Has this not been a mostly positive thread? 

It has.

It’s the blaming of fans for a loss or loss of recruits that I find cretinous.

Pointing fingers at random no name folks generally labeled fans yet quickly defend those in charge making millions of dollars that actually have a say in and an effect on daily goals and most importantly are solely accountable for overall results is just silly.

• Like 6

This team continues to improve. Get X back healthy and playing like he was at the end of his junior year and we will be a tough out at the end of the year. 

Remember JHS 10 games into the season. He was just getting things going. Same can be said about MM. We need him to continue to get better. With X back we have 5 Starters s that can score in double figures and take advantage of miss matches. A lot of options and different sets to throw at teams. 

Gunn and Banks need to keep improving. Both offered very little against Kansas but are capable of giving some minutes. Some games games they will some they won’t. Cupps is finding his role as a backup ball handler and Walker is providing good minutes. 

Edited by 94hoosier
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We shortened the bench because of need but by shortening the bench our guys were gassed.

And there lies the rub...

Fatigue to the inexperienced is poison...The last 10 minutes or so, Kansas had enough guys out there that had been in this situation numerous times to be able to make the smart plays...

We didn't...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

McNeeley is a good start.

Mcneeley is a great start….imagine if we never recruited over? Sparks would be the starting center (Queen, come on down!)  and Gunn our starting wing. We wouldn’t win more than 8 or 9 games…plus the prospects of being recruited over gives current players incentive to work hard knowing that if they don’t get better, they won’t play or they will need playing time elsewhere. Understand, sometimes it’s not working hard just plain talent. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

So over 8 minutes left to go and McCullar picks up a 4th foul.  Self leaves him in the rest of the way.  Was it an incredible stroke of luck that he didn’t foul out, or did Bill know something the rest of us didn’t?  It’s like he dared the refs to call the 5th foul, knowing that they wouldn’t.

• Like 1

Didn't get to watch the game until late last night. Good to see us compete with a top team, though I pretty much expect that at home, but still was good to see. 

Loved seeing Woodson shorten the rotation. It clearly payed off. I didn't think fatigue had anything to do with this loss. 

I thought the call that really cost us that I haven't seen mentioned was I think we were down 2 with maybe 1:50 left and Reneau had Dickenson iso'd in the paint and I thought Dickenson fouled the crap out of Reneau and no call. Kansas then hit a 3 to to go up 5. 

On the Banks/Walker debate, as bad as he's been, I would have given Gunn that spot and gone 3-guards in that situation. We needed perimeter defense fighting through those pin-down screens. It was too much for essentially 4's. 

Again, good performance, though a little disappointed that I'm sort of happy with the loss. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Mcneeley is a great start….imagine if we never recruited over? Sparks would be the starting center (Queen, come on down!)  and Gunn our starting wing. We wouldn’t win more than 8 or 9 games…plus the prospects of being recruited over gives current players incentive to work hard knowing that if they don’t get better, they won’t play or they will need playing time elsewhere. Understand, sometimes it’s not working hard just plain talent. 

McNeely is a phenomenal start, absolutely. But agree, without adding some play-making and shot-making guards (plural), I think we'll see more of the same. Not bad, but certainly not championship level. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Nah. Let’s not beat this horse again.

Everybody else has beaten a dead horse about this team. All I am saying the fans needs to look in the mirror sometimes. Since RMK we have had 6 HC, 5 AD's, 4 presidents yet people still think firing these people will make the difference.

56 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So over 8 minutes left to go and McCullar picks up a 4th foul.  Self leaves him in the rest of the way.  Was it an incredible stroke of luck that he didn’t foul out, or did Bill know something the rest of us didn’t?  It’s like he dared the refs to call the 5th foul, knowing that they wouldn’t.

He also just didn’t foul and his fourth was questionable.

It wasn’t like he was going to have to foul Banks. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

On the Banks/Walker debate, as bad as he's been, I would have given Gunn that spot and gone 3-guards in that situation.

Gunn didn't look up to snuff to me... I rewatched and he lacked energy...

He was listed as questionable for the game, so I'm wondering if he's still a little ill... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gunn didn't look up to snuff to me... I rewatched and he lacked energy...

He was listed as questionable for the game, so I'm wondering if he's still a little ill... 

Yeah, I can't speak to how he was feeling, and completely agree that he was not playing well, though neither was Banks.

Taking potential illness out of it, and despite his play, I think Gunn would have been the play there. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I can't speak to how he was feeling, and completely agree that he was not playing well, though neither was Banks.

Taking potential illness out of it, and despite his play, I think Gunn would have been the play there. 

i thought the same thing. Even Leal as a option 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

i thought the same thing. Even Leal as a option 

Yeah, at one point it looked like Leal got up from the bench and I thought maybe he was going in. 

I personally would have gone with Gunn there, just because of his athleticism. 

I just thought we needed a more perimeter oriented defender in that spot once you could tell Banks was struggling with the pin down screens.