Nebraska Game Thread

KDB

I have a feeling we recruit too heavliy based on physical traits.  Because many of ou regulars show a low basketball IQ.  Some of their mistakes are basic things mastered by high school.   If this is false then it must be Woody & Co.   

• Like 3

Well, thought we started ok, but things seemed to go bad on both ends after we turned it over on those 3 to 4 straight possessions early.

Unlike some on here are making it seem, an 8 point deficit is far from insurmountable. But we need to come out and play a lot better on both ends.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

True, but we keep giving them easy reach in fouls to call. They may be ticky tacky fouls but they’re legit. I just don’t understand how our guys keep doing it knowing that they’re in the bonus

Especially X.  He does it a lot.   Why hasn’t he learned yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John S said:

I have a feeling we recruit too heavliy based on physical traits.  Because many of ou regulars show a low basketball IQ.  Some of their mistakes are basic things mastered by high school.   If this is false then it must be Woody & Co.   

We need more guys like Walker. He just makes basketball plays. He may not be a great scorer but he puts himself in positions to score and impact the game in other ways. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Nebraska is the better team.

Maybe, only because they are more disciplined and tougher it appears. But they definitely aren’t more talented, and they definitely shouldn’t beat us. But when you turn it over 9 times, get out-rebounded by a smaller team, and commit numerous idiotic fouls…. yeah, they’re the better team when that happens. Same story over and over. Although I’d say our perimeter defense isn’t what’s killing us.

• Like 1

Down 8 on the road not too bad considering we had 10 turnovers (4 by Johnson).....8 less free throws....and had Mgbako and Reneau on the bench on shady foul calls for too much of the half. Seems like Johnson needs to come off the bench until he gets into rhythm. If we limit turnovers and fouls, we can get back in this game quickly. 

Edited by JerseyHoosier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

The legend of Xavier Johnson is so much better than the reality…..

It’s his first game back. I see many glimpses of why we’ve missed him so bad. Nobody else on that team is going to execute that give and go like he did. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

IU on the road highlights all the things they lack. They don't have guards you can consistently count on to make plays and secure the ball. They don't have shooters you know will knock down open shots. They can't stop fouling as a team. They don't rebound effectively. 

To their credit they play hard. Still in this game with a shot. But the strength they have inside they can't take advantage of. The other team can double every big inside because there's no threat outside.

• Like 1

Just now, John S said:

Especially X.  He does it a lot.   Why hasn’t he learned yet?

Yep, him and Cupps both had ones that made me yell at the TV. X’s was particularly annoying because we were already in the double bonus and as a 6th year player you’d think you would know better. Just unnecessary 

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

It’s his first game back. I see many glimpses of why we’ve missed his so bad. Nobody else on that team is going to execute that give and go like he did. 

The reality is that Xavier Johnson hasn't played consistent ball in a long, long time. It's asking a lot to have him starting a Big Ten game after not being a consistent part of this team for good chunk of multiple seasons. 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Maybe, only because they are more disciplined and tougher it appears. But they definitely aren’t more talented, and they definitely shouldn’t beat us. But when you turn it over 9 times, get out-rebounded by a smaller team, and commit numerous idiotic fouls…. yeah, they’re the better team when that happens. Same story over and over. Although I’d say our perimeter defense isn’t what’s killing us.

Man, following Hoiberg back to his days with the Bulls, I’d never imagine you’d call a Hobert coached team ‘disciplined’. Haha.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

One additional thing, we have one of the biggest lineups in the country. It’s baffling how we’re such a bad rebounding team.

Not baffling at all. We refuse to go put a body on our man, and instead, just run to the rim.

Put a body on your guy, THEN go get the ball. Rebounding 101

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1