Nebraska Post Game

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Your discounting this year.  I'll go on record and say this year's Nebraska team will equal or exceed Miles best team.  

And, when we're comparing a single game to another era like we are trying to do here, things like where the game was played makes a difference.  

Last night was ugly.  But, it's a good Nebraska team, played on the road, and making Woodson to Archie comparisons based on one game is foolish.

As it currently stands, there are 3 teams under Miles that rank just as good as this year’s Nebraska team. This year’s Nebraska team is improved, but I wouldn’t say they’re a good team by big ten standards. They’re good enough where a road win would’ve certainly been tough, but we should’ve been able to at least keep it close if we’re anywhere near a tournament caliber team.

For what it’s worth, Torvik gives Nebraska a 34% chance at making the tournament. So they’re not even a surefire tournament team this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The goal for this program should not be the tournament at this point.  Even if they slip in, they are going to lose early, and probably in an ugly fashion.  The goal should be getting better each and every game and finding out what parts are worth keeping for next season.  A significant roster overhaul is in order.  

Unfortunately,  in my opinion the roster is not the only thing that needs over hauled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

In the half court sets.  He was pretty terrible breaking a press.  

hmm.  i didn't see it that way.  sure, he was a freshman PG and made his share of TOs, but breaking a press doesn't generally fall on one guy.  if the other guys are not in good position, etc it can make the main ballhandler look bad.  he wasn't perfect, but we were way better with him at point than with XJ.  and i don't think that was playing JHS out of position at all.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hmm.  i didn't see it that way.  sure, he was a freshman PG and made his share of TOs, but breaking a press doesn't generally fall on one guy.  if the other guys are not in good position, etc it can make the main ballhandler look bad.  he wasn't perfect, but we were way better with him at point than with XJ.  and i don't think that was playing JHS out of position at all.  

Shoulder shrug, I guess.  

A locked in X breaks presses with ease.  In fact, teams don't even try unless they are desperate.   What you describe there is all in the half court set up.  JHS is a true combo guard.  He might get some run with the Lakers as a point but that's with LeBron handling the ball a ton.  Idk, haven't watched the limited minutes he has played.  Doesn't matter, we don't have to agree completely.  

X reminds me of Westbrook.  He just doesn't compliment guys game.  He raises the floor but not the ceiling.  We only have him 20ish more games.  Hopefully he shuts up, turns off his face, puts his head down and defends like crazy and gets back to a locked in style offensively that we saw the end of 21-22.  

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They are a pretty good team, that’s why it’s a Quad 1 win. But do we really think beating Purdue, Sparty, Illinois or Wisconsin is a better chance for a Quad 1 than that team is?

Idk,  at home, probably.  We tend to do it regularly.  Maybe not with this roster though.  

....First off, I am very disappointed in last night's performance, especially the amount of time off between our last game.

Several on here may not agree with me on this, but here are several observations that really stand out with how/why this team is currently playing. (IMHO)...

- We are an extremely young roster with a lot of new faces. XJ is the only player from the original starting 5 from last year. (TJD, JHS, XJ, Kopp, Thompson). **Reneau started some games and got more and more minutes as the season went on.

- We are in desperate, desperate need of smart, vocal leader on this current team! Last year's team had several starting with TJD, JHS, XJ and Race (when healthy and playing well).

- Ware has been a welcomed addition and has not disappointed,........... However, for us to continue to grow, he has to be more vocal and be more aggressive. 

- We appear rudderless from a PG standpoint at this stage in the season and lack confidence shooting the ball from our guard play.

- Woodson banked/counted on bench players, Gunn and Banks to step and make positive impact at guard play over last year. (Banks has made some welcomed improvement, but.....)

- Without freshman Cupps forced into the starting PG spot, we quite possibly could be below 500 right now!

- XJ at starting PG is now the X factor to moving this team forward in a positive way. It is HIS time to shine and establish leadership. His best assets are his speed, court awareness, ball handling and passing. On the flip side, they have been his Achilles Heal too. Which one are we going to see from here on out?

- I have said this from day one, freshman guard, Jakai Newton is a HUGE LOSS to this year's team.  IMO, he was the X factor at guard play that we are missing.

- Most every player has asperations to play at the next level, whether the NBA or over seas. Coach Woodson has coached and been around the NBA long enough to know what it takes to get them there.

- Lastly, with all this being said, you have to play with the hand you're dealt. The coaches coach and prepare a game plan to be executed successfully. It's then up each individual player to fully buy in, perform and execute that game plan. 

- "Is it the chicken or the egg?" Whose fault is it, the coaches or the players? I tend to lean towards the players not successfully completing their assignments properly.  IF NOT, YOU GET RESULTS LIKE LAST NIGHT!

Go IU!

• Like 7

One other positive take away, at least the 1st 7 or so minutes of the 2nd half, we definitely came out with the physicality necessary to play on the road in the B1G and it was still an 8 point game.    1st half, not so much.  Then it became the Tominaga show.  He scored 16 points in like 6 minutes.  Ball game.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We need wings who are legitimately wings, guys who can move laterally, help handle the ball, shoot and slash with regularity, etc. 

We need shooting guards who can actually shoot especially with volume, defend the three and help rebound.  

We need point guards who can initiate the action, be playmakers and also square up and shoot.  

I honestly don’t think we have any of that.  So it’s not quite right to say that we have talent.  The upside for this team isn’t very high.  Would love to see an NCAA tourney bid, even if it’s a first round loss.  I’m not holding my breath though.  

At this point I just don’t want IU to go off the rails like with Archie.   

The offseason is huge.  Hopefully the staff learned a lesson last offseason.  The concern is that the staff expresses stubbornness publicly.   I think you’ve got to land half a dozen new players next year.  

Atleast a half dozen. Right now if Mgbako and Ware leave….. I see maybe 3/4 guys worth keeping.

I’ve been unable to watch many games this season, and I’m finding myself not bothered by that. It feels like I just wanna simulate the games and focus on recruiting and offseason stuff. I hate that feeling. I so desperately want things to turn around for this program, but it sometimes feels like that just is not going to happen. Ugh. 

OK, here’s my final thoughts.   NINETEEN turnovers is about as bad as it gets, especially at this point of season.  That probably says it all about this team; that shows mental weakness and/or lack of motivation.  X is who he is.  Actually, he’s less than he was 2 yrs ago.  Galloway’s got tremendous spirit but shoots bricks. Ware is our star now, but he is soft on D and RBs.  Malik continues to dribble into double/triple coverage rather than pass to open man.  Our spacing on O is poor.   Without some major consistent improvement, they dont belong in March Madness.   

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

- Woodson banked/counted on bench players, Gunn and Banks to step and make positive impact at guard play over last year. (Banks has made some welcomed improvement, but.....)

Based on what I saw last year, that's a huge risk. They barely played. Or maybe it's because they didn't develop. Either way, it's not a good look: is there a problem with developing guards or is it a problem with evaluating what we have? 

38 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

- Without freshman Cupps forced into the starting PG spot, we quite possibly could be below 500 right now!

And we have an open roster spot. And didn't get one experienced ball handler in the portal

38 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

- I have said this from day one, freshman guard, Jakai Newton is a HUGE LOSS to this year's team.  IMO, he was the X factor at guard play that we are missing.

Firstly, Jakai was injured last season AND it was widely talked about back in the Spring that he may not be able to play this season. Secondly, X was coming off of an injury AND he was not officially granted eligibility until, what, after the portal closed? 

39 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

- "Is it the chicken or the egg?" Whose fault is it, the coaches or the players? I tend to lean towards the players not successfully completing their assignments properly.  IF NOT, YOU GET RESULTS LIKE LAST NIGHT!

For the reasons above, I tend to lean the other way. It's the chicken. All scenario's were too risky not to have a contingency plan in place. It was obvious that we needed more guards and more shooters in April. i'm sure I can pull a good number of articles from blogs, publications, etc. that prognosticated we will be a middle of the pack B1G team because we didn't go out and get any shooters/guards/wings.

...And it's painfully obvious now. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John S said:

OK, here’s my final thoughts.   NINETEEN turnovers is about as bad as it gets, especially at this point of season.  That probably says it all about this team; that shows mental weakness and/or lack of motivation.  X is who he is.  Actually, he’s less than he was 2 yrs ago.  Galloway’s got tremendous spirit but shoots bricks. Ware is our star now, but he is soft on D and RBs.  Malik continues to dribble into double/triple coverage rather than pass to open man.  Our spacing on O is poor.   Without some major consistent improvement, they dont belong in March Madness.   

Yeah...

We all hated our guard play under Archie. We have two veteran guards that have been under Woody for 3 years and this is what we get?

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

....First off, I am very disappointed in last night's performance, especially the amount of time off between our last game.

Several on here may not agree with me on this, but here are several observations that really stand out with how/why this team is currently playing. (IMHO)...

- We are an extremely young roster with a lot of new faces. XJ is the only player from the original starting 5 from last year. (TJD, JHS, XJ, Kopp, Thompson). **Reneau started some games and got more and more minutes as the season went on.

- We are in desperate, desperate need of smart, vocal leader on this current team! Last year's team had several starting with TJD, JHS, XJ and Race (when healthy and playing well).

- Ware has been a welcomed addition and has not disappointed,........... However, for us to continue to grow, he has to be more vocal and be more aggressive. 

- We appear rudderless from a PG standpoint at this stage in the season and lack confidence shooting the ball from our guard play.

- XJ at starting PG is now the X factor to moving this team forward in a positive way. It is HIS time to shine and establish leadership. His best assets are his speed, court awareness, ball handling and passing. On the flip side, they have been his Achilles Heal too. Which one are we going to see from here on out?

- Most every player has asperations to play at the next level, whether the NBA or over seas. Coach Woodson has coached and been around the NBA long enough to know what it takes to get them there.

- Lastly, with all this being said, you have to play with the hand you're dealt. The coaches coach and prepare a game plan to be executed successfully. It's then up each individual player to fully buy in, perform and execute that game plan. 

Go IU!

Good analysis. Just a couple things I respectfully disagree on:

-Being young/new faces-> Purdue has been one of the best teams for the last 2 years and relies on a backcourt of underclassman. They also weren’t big time recruits/burger boys coming in. Also, Duke/Kentucky/etc rely on freshman year after year and do just fine.
Just like us, here’s a list of (ranked) teams that have at least 2 new starters on their team: Kansas, UConn, Illinois, UK, UNC, Zona, Memphis, Baylor, Texas, Gonzaga. 

Jakai’s impact-> He’s been injured so long and hasn’t played competitive basketball in a while. Also hasn’t played a single game of college basketball so I think it’s a bit of a leap to assume he would have made a big impact. He also wasn’t known for his perimeter scoring, which is what we need most. 

• Like 4

What is the reason for leaving a scholarship open? Actually, we basically have 2 because we grabbed an injured player, they knew wasn't going to play this year. A coach has a system in mind and recruits to fill those needs to make the system work smoothly. The players we have now are all a mismatch to that system or we are confused to what system should be used. Either way, some focus needs applied to every aspect of this program. I have seen too much to think we have a chance at the NCAA, we'll be lucky to make an NIT bid. I was amused when everyone said, we need X. A 6th Sr. still making grade school mistakes. His good is overshadowed by the bad because they are committed at key points in the game. We have a weak minded, leaderless team and that spells disaster. 

4 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

we grabbed an injured player, they knew wasn't going to play this year.

Not true... Newton committed in October of 2021... He was injured in the spring of 2022... He actually played for his high school team after that. They didn't know he needed another procedure until he got on campus earlier last year... 

• Like 2

So what I'm gathering from this thread (tongue in cheek - kind of 😎)

Malik - plays a 4. should be a 5
Ware - Plays a 5. should be a 5. But Malik gets in his way. 
Mgbako - Plays a 3. Should be a 4.
Banks - Plays a 3. Should arguably be a 4 too
Gallo - Plays a combo guard tasked with handling the ball a lot. should be more of a 2/3 guy
Cupps - Plays the 1. Should be a 1, but is a Freshman asked to do a lot.
XJ - Plays a combo guard. should be a combo guard, but was obviously injured.
CJ Gunn - A 2/3 guy that is too inconsistent to get meaningful minutes.
Leal - plays a 3. should be a 3, but is limited athletically

I think the only guys playing good for the position he's supposed to play is Walker?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not true... Newton committed in October of 2021... He was injured in the spring of 2022... He actually played for his high school team after that. They didn't know he needed another procedure until he got on campus earlier last year... 

Thank you for the correction!

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Kenpom projecting 3-14 the rest of the season. Ouch...might not happen, but still a bad look.

That is incorrect. Kenpom is projecting IU to go 5.66-11.34 the rest of the way. Kenpom predicts win probabilities, not binary wins and losses. If you have 5 games where he gives you a 40% chance to win each, he’s predicting that you will go 2-3, not 0-5.

Either way, it’s not looking pretty.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 4