Nebraska Post Game

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really don't think that's accurate. Heck, his daughter goes to IU and is pretty visible in the IU media landscape. Goodman and his daughter just did a thing in December where they did something like 5 games in 2-3 days. 2 of those games were an IU men's game and an IU women's game. He's been very complimentary at times. 

You think Papa has been complimentary? Haha....it's almost like saying when Archie got Dakich's step a role and he was being complimentary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Problem is Mgbako hasn't done jack and isn't good.   Would he replace Reneau?  Who would be the other guard?  Cupps?  Deeply flawed team. 

Right.  We can beat teams the hard way, with the 2 bigs, if we defend our guts out.  Just don't think we are committed to it.  Also have to value the ball and make smart decisions if you hang you hat on defense.  Which we don't.   

• Like 2

What's our strongest position group by contemporary standards? Reneau, Ware, Sparks - all essentially 5s. If Reneau or Ware were consistent threats from 3 then they would at least fit together a little better. But both seem more like wanna-be stretch bigs. That's not a rip on them. But they're both clearly more comfortable/accomplished on the block/interior. The occasional, inconsistent 3 by either is peripheral to their comfort zone where they excel.

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

You think Papa has been complimentary? Haha....it's almost like saying when Archie got Dakich's step a role and he was being complimentary. 

Yeah, I do. Do you actually follow him and read/watch what he says?

This idea that Goodman hates IU because of Archie is ridiculous. 

I know it's the women's team, but he was absolutely gushing over MacKenzie Holmes after the recent game he attended. Interviewed her postgame and called her his favorite player in college basketball. 

• Like 4

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, I do. Do you actually follow him and read/watch what he says?

This idea that Goodman hates IU because of Archie is ridiculous. 

I know it's the women's team, but he was absolutely gushing over MacKenzie Holmes after the recent game he attended. Interviewed her postgame and called her his favorite player in college basketball. 

Not sure if you read what I said. Papa Goodman has never been pro IU. Anyone watching or following Goodman for years knows that.

I said it's almost like Dakich when his kid got a role down at IU (via Archie by the way) and he still trashed it. Goodman like many hides his disdain in the name of other sports or issues. Gushing....as you say...over Mackenzie Holmes is a good move. Covers plenty of bases.

8 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

What's our strongest position group by contemporary standards? Reneau, Ware, Sparks - all essentially 5s. If Reneau or Ware were consistent threats from 3 then they would at least fit together a little better. But both seem more like wanna-be stretch bigs. That's not a rip on them. But they're both clearly more comfortable/accomplished on the block/interior. The occasional, inconsistent 3 by either is peripheral to their comfort zone where they excel.

Reneau is 9/14 from 3 over the last 5 games. I actually thinks he’s starting to look confident shooting. The issue to me is Reneau and Ware together is a bad combo on the defensive end, and we aren’t a good rebounding team despite starting them both.

We also have had just bad guard play for most of the year. If we had good guards, I think we’d be able to get away with starting both Ware and Reneau.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure if you read what I said. Papa Goodman has never been pro IU. Anyone watching or following Goodman for years knows that.

I said it's almost like Dakich when his kid got a role down at IU (via Archie by the way) and he still trashed it. Goodman like many hides his disdain in the name of other sports or issues. Gushing....as you say...over Mackenzie Holmes is a good move. Covers plenty of bases.

He's not supposed to be "pro-IU". He does not have a "disdain" for IU. 

So he's gushing over Homles as some sort of smokescreen to throw IU fans off the path of how much he really hates IU!?!?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Well on the positive side, that's a Quad 1 road loss. Not that big of a deal. 

I'm just still worried that we get absolutely exposed in these games,, which is a really bad indicator. 

In a vacuum it’s not a big deal, but it was one of our more winnable Quad 1 games. 

• Like 3

Just got done watching the game…

I wish I could say I was shocked by that but I really wasn’t. We don’t really have anything we are good at as a team.

We are bad at defense. We are bad at rebounding. We continue to revert back to a bad style of offense.

I think it’s weak of Woodson to blame the players when he’s the one with the system that doesn’t set us up for success. And even beyond that… he’s the one that chose to not bring in a guard. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Sure glad X came back.  We are a completely different team with him on the floor….:coffee:

this is what i was trying to say and nearly everyone was quick to tell me i was wrong.  sadly, we don't really have any better options, but i just don't think he makes us much better.  he doesn't play smart on either end for some reason.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we go 2-6 or 3-5 over that stretch the season is over.  There aren't enough quality wins left on the schedule after that to dig out of that kind of hole and those that are left look like almost certain losses at this point.  The way we are playing right now we will be lucky to get an NIT invite which usually equals an early exit as well.  Nobody in this program wants to play in that thing.

i'm thinking after last night people may change their prediction of how many road games we'll win?  gonna have to go undefeated at home for sure and somehow win a couple on the road.  kinda tough to imagine.  

• Like 1

I was pessimistic 5 minutes into the game.  5 minutes into the second half I was so uninterested in what I was watching, I turned it off.  It's not that they were losing, it's that they were playing a form of basketball that is just not enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 8

The goal for this program should not be the tournament at this point.  Even if they slip in, they are going to lose early, and probably in an ugly fashion.  The goal should be getting better each and every game and finding out what parts are worth keeping for next season.  A significant roster overhaul is in order.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm thinking after last night people may change their prediction of how many road games we'll win?  gonna have to go undefeated at home for sure and somehow win a couple on the road.  kinda tough to imagine.  

I think we can win some on the road.  Our problem is likely going to be that the road wins we currently appear capable of winning aren't going to move the dial much at all in helping build an NCAA resume.  The other problem we have is that we are getting absolutely punked against almost every NCAA capable team we are playing.  Our best win is Michigan (6-7) and maybe Maryland (9-5).  Maryland is a Q3 win though so no help there. We played Kansas tight.  Auburn, Connecticut, and Nebraska all murdered us.

I have been trying to stay optimistic but even most of our wins have been a red flag.  Things could still turn around but we are in massive trouble.

I wouldn't expect a blowout in a game where both teams had the same eFG%, and we rebounded more of our misses... but that turnover number, yikes:

image.png.a622de74243d9557dd1d27bb7bc80afe.png

The FT disparity is something else I noticed even in the moment. For as much as we play through the paint, it felt very odd that only one team wasn't getting to the line. The officiating was truly atrocious, as bad and arbitrary as a lot of women's games I watch, but I hate reaching for that as an excuse. Anyone watching have a better explanation?

• Like 2

The whole team may need to be blown up at the end of the year — Woodson seriously needs to look in the mirror on the style of hall he wants to play moving forward…this isn’t it.

Again, the roster construction of this team is mind boggling. No guard/perimeter play and it was obvious this was a serious issue before the season even started. 

At this point, stick to an 8 man rotation. Play Leal, Cupps and Walker. Banks and Gunn ain’t it and they’re certainly a recipe for disaster when the play together. it’s still head scratching as to why Woodson decides to play those two together in arguably the most important time period of the game especially when Gunn didn’t play in the first half…anyways, wasn’t shocked Nebraska quickly ballooned the lead to 20+ points there after. I won’t mince my words, after all they’re getting paid and he’s been given ample opportunities but Gunn is more useless than tits on a bull. Would be surprised if he’s on the team next year. He would be a solid mid major player.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Misleading statement in that Nebraska is in much better shape as a program with Hoiberg now than it was when Archie and Crean were here.

I dont know, prior to this season Tim Miles had more success at Nebraska than Hoiberg has. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I dont know, prior to this season Tim Miles had more success at Nebraska than Hoiberg has. 

Solid point. I forgot about some of those Miles’ teams. Regardless, I think we can all agree Nebraska isn’t some dominant team. Maybe they sneak in the tournament? TBD…it’s this that shows how far we are. It’s one thing to be embarrassed by Kansas on the road but a whole another thing regarding the dominance Nebraska showed us all. The numbers/metrics showed this…I guess I was hoping we could start to make up ground in these categories.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The key phrase in your post is 'prior to this season'.

The tweet I questioned was based primarily a single game, that being last night.  This Nebraska team is potentially the best since they joined the conference.  It only stands to reason that it beats teams more convincingly than Husker teams of the past.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Solid point. I forgot about some of those Miles’ teams. Regardless, I think we can all agree Nebraska isn’t some dominant team. Maybe they sneak in the tournament? TBD…it’s this that shows how far we are. It’s one thing to be embarrassed by Kansas on the road but a whole another thing regarding the dominance Nebraska showed us all. The numbers/metrics showed this…I guess I was hoping we could start to make up ground in these categories.

Yeah, agree. Some may compare this to the at PSU loss last year, but the difference this year is we have no elite guard like JHS. 

Last year we had an elite big and an elite guard. We don't have that guard this year and the sum of the guard parts don't make up for not having a JHS type player.