Nebraska Post Game

Just now, Indykev said:

I saw this tweet earlier, and this guy has a fundamental misunderstanding about how kenpom works. Kenpom had IU going 2.5-5.5 over that stretch, not 1-7. Not that it changes anything, it just annoys me when people cite stats they don’t understand.

• Like 5

We made Nebraska look really good tonight. We allowed 27 points on 19 turnovers.
If we could have just kept the turnovers to 10 we cut 13 points off the lead. 

We got into foul trouble too early and took us out of our rhythm.

Nice to see X back,…. he both helped and hurt us in this game.

Just now, Muddy River said:

My son asked me tonight when the last time IU had a good basketball team was…..I couldn’t give him an answer.

I mean we were a 4 seed last year, which I’d say is a good team. If we’re saying national title contender good, it was 2013.

• Like 1

Just now, Muddy River said:

My son asked me tonight when the last time IU had a good basketball team was…..I couldn’t give him an answer.

2013 and 2008 were the only teams the last 20 years who were capable of making the Final Four. Had we done what any other school did (far less egregious activities) and not self report. We probably would’ve had a title or two by now.

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I saw this tweet earlier, and this guy has a fundamental misunderstanding about how kenpom works. Kenpom had IU going 2.5-5.5 over that stretch, not 1-7. Not that it changes anything, it just annoys me when people cite stats they don’t understand.

If we go 2-6 or 3-5 over that stretch the season is over.  There aren't enough quality wins left on the schedule after that to dig out of that kind of hole and those that are left look like almost certain losses at this point.  The way we are playing right now we will be lucky to get an NIT invite which usually equals an early exit as well.  Nobody in this program wants to play in that thing.

• Like 3

After this performance… Woodson should probably go ahead and offer DaQuan Davis a scholarship. Could really use a guy like him. As I see this roster I only see 4 guys worth keeping. (ware will go pro) The perimeter defense is so hard to watch.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

If we go 2-6 or 3-5 over that stretch the season is over.  There aren't enough quality wins left on the schedule after that to dig out of that kind of hole and those that are left look like almost certain losses at this point.  The way we are playing right now we will be lucky to get an NIT invite which usually equals an early exit as well.  Nobody in this program wants to play in that thing.

Right. I wasn’t necessarily saying the takeaway is different, just that what the tweet said was inaccurate.

• Like 1

I felt this way after the Kansas game and especially after that Morehead st game. Like Trilly Donovan said with Fran and Iowa, I think IU is in purgatory with Coach Woodson. 

You can’t fire him because he’s made progress each year and it would be a bad look for our program to have so many different coaches in so many years. Also wouldn’t have the necessary money to make a big time hire with buyouts. 

But there’s no reason to suggest he was a great hire and shouldn’t be on the hot seat. Maybe I’m ignorant but on paper I see talent and potential in this team. But so many aspects absolutely baffle me. 

Our defense consists of over helping and giving up wide open shots. Good teams make them and get confident quickly. Then our offense consists of wasting half the shot clock with our guards standing around waiting for a pick, or passing the ball around in a circle to feed the post and have either Ware or Reneau shoot through 2-3 guys. We struggle to rebound, shoot free throws, and win the turnover battle regularly.

We also have no leadership. If I didn’t know the captains, I would have guessed it was Walker and Leal. Away from home we look lost and uninspired. 

Nothing about us gives me confidence Woodson can turn this around this year or next. His roster construction and style of play leads me to believe that he’ll continue to be stubborn and not make the necessary adjustments all us fans see and have been bitching and moaning about for years. He’s also royally screwed us with recruiting guards because we have no film that doesn’t involve our bigs always being the center of attention.

Unless Woody decides to make Liam the primary scoring option and kills it in the portal, this is basically the kiss of death for IU basketball. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Woodson is a terrible coach.  He was average at best with an all American.  He has no guard play and hasn’t recruited a playmaker and shooter since he got here.  Firmly believe that McNeeley will be utilized incorrectly.  

SMH….

Someone in the game thread said that a coach can preach until he is blue in the face, but it’s up to the players to execute.  I agree, except that it is then the coaches job to put said player/s on the bench until they conform.  Coach Knight was a big believer in the bench as a motivator, how did CMW not learn that?

Edited by Muddy River
  • Thanks 1