Nebraska Post Game

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

I would send my kid to Painter before Woodson.  I would tell Woodson to quit calling and I am an alum.  It’s clear as day who the better coach and developer is.  

….I’m gonna be the better man and bite my tongue and go to bed.

Mark my word… IU will see better days. Learn from this game and flush it! 

• Like 1

I’ve never been a Hoiberg fan, and I like Woodson.  But, tonight to me makes it clear that our coaches are below average at best. Hoiberg out coached CMW by a mile with a less athleticly talented team. IU teams have not had a good floor general for it seems like forever.  And, Woodson seems baffled/unable to manage a good game.   Too bad, because the conference is weak this year and IU  is missing an opportunity to make some noise     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Someone in the game thread said that a coach can preach until he is blue in the face, but it’s up to the players to execute.  I agree, except that it is then the coaches job to put said player/s on the bench until they conform.  Coach Knight was a big believer in the bench as a motivator, how did CMW not learn that?

Our guards have been the problem all year and we don’t have anyone to replace them on the court with. We got some good post players in the portal but we needed guards

• Like 3

I agree that Coach is too stubborn to make the changes that must be made to make this team better. The first would be to take MM and Galloway out of the starting lineup. This would balance the second team by giving it some scoring and experience and give someone else a chance to do what Galloway seems unable to do, that is be a Big Ten shooting guard. At this point, Leal, Banks, Walker, anyone would be better.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Mackenzie could walk out with an eye patch and a peg leg and still start.  He has been bad all year.  Either it's Woodson's system or the player.  I think it's Woodson's system.  

Leal got some of those minutes and didn't hurt anything.  Other than playing hard he just doesn't bring anything.  Banks might have scored a few points the other night but he looks lost or a step out of position most of the time.  Not sure it's speed of the game, experience, ball iq, or skill?  Who we gonna play there, Gunn?  The roster is broken.  When do classes start?  Add a foreigner.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

I'm not saying I want Woodson gone, but it's just hard for me to believe there isn't somebody out there who could bring better basketball to this program. We didn't have to be amazing this year but there's really no good excuse for this trash. 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Holy crap!  Who had “I just have to get them over the hump” in the game thread?  Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!

I’ve mentioned it before. It would be really nice if Woodson could actually give concrete answers. These type of statements he makes like “I just have to get them over the hump,” doesn’t give much assurance.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I’ve mentioned it before. It would be really nice if Woodson could actually give concrete answers. These type of statements he makes like “I just have to get them over the hump,” doesn’t give me much assurance.

To be fair, he also talked about our guard play, defense, and turnovers being bad. At this point I’m more concerned with how we fix these things than what he says in the post game pressers.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Goodman goes at Woodson a little mode directly if you listen to the audio. 

I’m not saying he’s wrong in this instance, but you couldn’t pay me to give two seconds of my time to listen to anything he says. Guy has had an axe to grind since Archie got fired.

• Like 2

Like I mentioned before, this was still just a quad 1 road loss. Despite the margin of defeat, not a bad loss in terms of the resume. Win Saturday and we're ok. The big issues right now is that we're 1-4 in Quad 1/2 games and that is not going to cut it come Selection Sunday. 

We need to wrack up some Quad 2 wins and fast. 

• Like 2

I've watched most of the season, just haven't commented. At this point, the biggest thing for me is simply disappointment that we don't have more talent/depth in our perimeter/guard room. This is in line with those who are questioning/criticizing roster construction. 1 through 3 are the most vital position in modern basketball at every level. Dynamic guard play and outside (3 point) shooting are what dominate the game. You aren't winning consistently without it. And it's painful how lacking we are in that area.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I agree that Coach is too stubborn to make the changes that must be made to make this team better. The first would be to take MM and Galloway out of the starting lineup. This would balance the second team by giving it some scoring and experience and give someone else a chance to do what Galloway seems unable to do, that is be a Big Ten shooting guard. At this point, Leal, Banks, Walker, anyone would be better.

The problem is constructing the team around having 2 5's on the floor.  Galloway should be the 3 and Mgbako the 4.

• Like 7

Just now, rogue3542 said:

I’m not saying he’s wrong in this instance, but you couldn’t pay me to give two seconds of my time to listen to anything he says. Guy has had an axe to grind since Archie got fired.

Really don't think that's accurate. Heck, his daughter goes to IU and is pretty visible in the IU media landscape. Goodman and his daughter just did a thing in December where they did something like 5 games in 2-3 days. 2 of those games were an IU men's game and an IU women's game. He's been very complimentary at times. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The problem is constructing the team around having 2 5's on the floor.  Galloway should be the 3 and Mgbako the 4.

It would be worth a try, but I still don't think there's enough talent their to move the needle even with the adjustment (meaning at the 1 through 3 positions). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Goodman goes at Woodson a little mode directly if you listen to the audio. 

What he says is true and what the post game B1G pip squeak and Purdue kid says post game are true.  Defense is want to.  Where do you think he heard that philosophy from?  He said Galloway and Johnson should be the best defensive backcourt in the B1G.  

Granted.  1 X hasn't played in 7 games.  And they didn't look good together when he was healthy.  Hard to learn on the go in the B1G.  2.  Ware had the vid.  Even if it was mild, he looked gassed.  He gave max effort.  

We clearly lack a dude thats not afraid to let it rip and is capable.  But we should still be able to beat teams the hard way if they would defend with their lives at stake.  

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Like I mentioned before, this was still just a quad 1 road loss. Despite the margin of defeat, not a bad loss in terms of the resume. Win Saturday and we're ok. The big issues right now is that we're 1-4 in Quad 1/2 games and that is not going to cut it come Selection Sunday. 

We need to wrack up some Quad 2 wins and fast. 

These next 3 games could be make or break. Ohio State is right on the border of being Q1/2 at home and at Rutgers should be Q2. Also need to beat Minnesota at home, though that probably won’t be considered a quality win. It feels like we need all 3 of those at this point, because the 3 after that are going to be tough.

It’s just hard to have any confidence at this point with how we’ve played, and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious fix. The one sliver of hope I still have is that we had a rough stretch last year and managed to pull out of it. But that was a short stretch of games last year, where we’ve mostly looked bad this entire year starting in the exhibitions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Problem is Mgbako hasn't done jack and isn't good.   Would he replace Reneau?  Who would be the other guard?  Cupps?  Deeply flawed team. 

• Like 1