PU @ IU Game thread

Reacher

Man what a dumpster fire all around. Starting with IU’s play, I thought we started off strong. As soon as Ware and Mgbako went out we struggled. It felt like we missed a ton of open threes, and we took way too many deep twos (looking at you Gunn and XJ). I usually think the complaints about Woodson benching guys with 2 fouls is overblown, but today it’s warranted. Who cares if they make it to the 2nd half with 2 fouls if the game is out of reach

That being said, that first half was probably the biggest ref show I remember seeing. It’s incredible how different the game was called on the two ends. The funniest (or saddest) example is Edey lowering his shoulder on just about every play and not getting called for anything, then XJ does the same thing trying to block him out and it’s a flagrant.

It’s tough to tell how bad we’re actually playing - and I do think we played poorly - because of how much the refs took over that half.

• Like 2

So is it bad that I am already ready for this season to be over?  Like I am turning off this game.  The season is flushed at this point.  Anybody saying we have a chance to turn it around is technically correct but you live in fantasyland.

• Like 3

The only thing consistent about this team is how inconsistent we are. Literally can’t string two good games together in a row. That’s only slightly better than under Archie who couldn’t string two good halves together. It’s going to be a long season…kinda predicted that given what we lost and all the new faces this year…but man this team is just not balanced nor do they seem together…they don’t seem to communicate on defense at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Why did I know when I posted something about officiating and the obvious you and the other Musketeers might come in to somehow say it's on IU.

I’ve complained plenty about the officiating. I complimented plenty of things we did too.

But in not going to pretend not calling a timeout, not standing up for your players, and leaving two of your best players sitting all half is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was some poor play, and terrible shooting but what disheartens me most is the feeling that the coaching staff wasn’t fighting for the team. I know they care more than I can imagine but show it! I am a supporter of this staff but the horrendous call when we were down 12, GO CRAZY!!  Get the crowd fired up, slow momentum and show the players that the staff (Woodson) will fight like hell for them. 
Most basic coaching at any level is players have to know the coach is right there with them. I am not implying he isn’t but sometimes you have to show it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think people undervalue how good JHS was and overestimate XJ

I’ll admit I definitely overestimated XJ.

But I also think people remember JHS being better than he was, primarily because of his game at Purdue. He was solid, but his best skill was knocking down mid range shots, which isn’t a super useful skill in modern basketball. He had the lowest effective field goal % and lowest offensive rating on the team of the guys who actually played last year. Not meant to knock him, I thought he was good for a freshman. Just hadn’t developed efficient 3 point shooting or finishing ability.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1