Penn State Post Game

I don’t agree that our talent is good enough.  Our 1-3 positions collectively are subpar.  We have 3 five-star recruits but it’s imbalanced.   We lack team quickness and shooting.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s on the staff and there are alot of issues with the adjustments but I am not buying the talent issue.  

Next year I’d like to see three capable guards added to the mix, a big guy and maybe another 2/3 to go with McNeely.  That’s assuming we don’t lose someone good that is unexpected.  

If you assume Woody doesn’t walk away and that Dusty doesn’t make another final four run, then Woody would be back but you’d have to look hard at the staff, with assistants but all those bodies hovering around the bench.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

Our offense scored 1.14 points per possession and had an adjusted offensive rating of 123.5. Both of those are excellent. Meanwhile we gave up 1.38 points per possession on defense. The press wasn’t the issue, it was our inability to do anything defensively.

edit: let me add, our offense wasn’t great in the second half. But in total, our offense did enough to win. But our defense was non-existent the entire game. It just didn’t seem as bad in the first half since our offense was clicking.

I started putting together an ikea shelf but I thought it took us 6.5 mins into the 2nd half to score.  

We struggle to break presses without a solid version of X.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

This should have been an automatic win. It boggles my mind that every time we get a decent lead, he empties the bench, and we kiss momentum goodbye. 

Our bench is non-existent. Zero development from anyone. As has been mentioned before, Woodson as to clear house for next year.

42 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Our offense scored 1.14 points per possession and had an adjusted offensive rating of 123.5. Both of those are excellent. Meanwhile we gave up 1.38 points per possession on defense. The press wasn’t the issue, it was our inability to do anything defensively.

edit: let me add, our offense wasn’t great in the second half. But in total, our offense did enough to win. But our defense was non-existent the entire game. It just didn’t seem as bad in the first half since our offense was clicking.

Eh kinda. The numbers are what they are, but we also only mustered one shot in the first three minutes of the second half. That set the tone and was game over. 

33 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Our bench is non-existent. Zero development from anyone. As has been mentioned before, Woodson as to clear house for next year.

I don’t think that will be a problem. I expect a mass exodus next year, so we probably won’t have a choice.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

1. How do you know how much he actually recruits, plays golf, sips wine or takes a dump?

2. Recruiting has been ok. Not awful, not great. But talent level is not the problem

We have had as much talent as anybody we have played thos year sans Kansas and Arizona.

The product right now sucks. The results suck. But it's a leap to say it's because he enjoys cigars or something. It's just a bad product.  😁

I agree we don’t need to make any assumptions about what he does or doesn’t do in his free time. Frankly, I don’t even care how hard he works.

What I care about more than anything is that we play a bad style of basketball that isn’t conducive to winning. Last year we had TJ, JHS, and a couple more guys playing pro ball. We only mustered a 23-12 weekend, and an embarrassing first weekend exit. The season highlights were regular season wins - beating Purdue and Illinois is great and was a big part of getting a 4 seed, but the reality is that team was pretty similar in terms of what it accomplished to what this years MSU team is.

Now we don’t have those guys, and we are having one of the worst season we’ve had as a program in most of this boards lifetime. We can argue all day about how much or little talent we have, how imbalanced the roster is, but I think we all agree this is far from the least talented team or worst balanced roster we’ve had the past 50 years. We just play a style that isn’t a winning brand of basketball. It’s why even the best teams under Woodson get blown out at an alarming rate against good programs.

Thats what needs to change more than anything, and that’s what so far he hasn’t shown a willingness to change. He doesn’t even address it or own any blame when asked about issues, other than not getting players over the hump.

We don’t need to wait until April to change things, we can do it now. It may not matter for this year at this point, which is a sad statement after one game in February, but it certainly matters for the future of the program if Woodson is going to remain coach. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I don’t think that will be a problem. I expect a mass exodus next year.

Okay, and then what do we have for next year? Does anyone think next year will be better if we have a huge overhaul when Woodson already twists the truth about how much turnover this roster had?

Woodson’s words have made it pretty clear that he doesn’t think the scheme is an issue, and that if he had a more experienced team things would be fine. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I’m out of here…just too frustrating to discuss today’s fiasco anymore. I think I’ll take Tuesday’s game off as well unless we happen to win, and then I’ll watch it on tape. 

DVR has been my friend this year. IU wins? I watch. They lose? I erase it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Well he's spot on about the defense but come on...he isn't owning how much that press affected us. I can't believe after the Auburn game that every team in't pressing us from beginning to end. Our guards simply aren't good enough to handle it, especially with Xavier out. 

And our coach apparently doesn’t know how to break a press with a 7 foot center at point. 

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

We often have had good offensive stats.  But, Woodson always goes into the paint for 2 pt shots.  To beat IU, use a press, double/triple team either or Malik and Ware, and loft up a ton of 3s.   Their 3 pt shot will keep up to us or beat us.   It is what it is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t agree that our talent is good enough.  Our 1-3 positions collectively are subpar.  We have 3 five-star recruits but it’s imbalanced.   We lack team quickness and shooting.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s on the staff and there are alot of issues with the adjustments but I am not buying the talent issue.  

Next year I’d like to see three capable guards added to the mix, a big guy and maybe another 2/3 to go with McNeely.  That’s assuming we don’t lose someone good that is unexpected.  

If you assume Woody doesn’t walk away and that Dusty doesn’t make another final four run, then Woody would be back but you’d have to look hard at the staff, with assistants but all those bodies hovering around the bench.   

I tend to agree on the talent assessment of the current team, and I understand the perspective of wanting to be patient enough and not rash.

But this get well plan is basically identical to what already needed to happen a year or more ago and it did not.

Combined with what is being said, and the responses from the coach, I do not have the confidence any longer in this coach or staff to get it done.

I’m very doubtful that this coaching staff is going to get it done even with a serious talent upgrade. Just not seeing it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay, and then what do we have for next year? Does anyone think next year will be better if we have a huge overhaul when Woodson already twists the truth about how much turnover this roster had?

Woodson’s words have made it pretty clear that he doesn’t think the scheme is an issue, and that if he had a more experienced team things would be fine. 

Good question…it could get a lot worse before it gets better unless we knock it out of the park in the portal, because all we have coming in next year is McNeeley.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

1. How do you know how much he actually recruits, plays golf, sips wine or takes a dump?

2. Recruiting has been ok. Not awful, not great. But talent level is not the problem

We have had as much talent as anybody we have played thos year sans Kansas and Arizona.

The product right now sucks. The results suck. But it's a leap to say it's because he enjoys cigars or something. It's just a bad product.  😁

1 commit out of 31 offers for 24' so far. Recruiting is what? If talent isn't the problem then its coaching. Yes, I could care less if he smokes cigars and plays golf. Everyone has a life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good question…it could get a lot worse before it gets better unless we knock it out of the park in the portal, because all we have coming in is McNeeley.

I hope we keep McNeely, but I wouldn’t blame him for asking out.