Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Trey finally shows the kind of senior leadership we need... Both on the road and at home...

And I think having Anthony, who's building up even more cred with his younger teammates by not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, out there makes Galloway a better player... The chemistry is definitely there...

I know this game will be downplayed, and no one is stamping it as a signature win, but any road victory in this league is valuable, especially coming from 18 back... Even the most virulent critic has to acknowledge that these kids fought and didn't give up... 

Leal might be the lug nuts this team needs

I want to give the team credit for fighting till the end. Any conf road win is a big plus. I also want to be realistic.

They played much better in the second half after a horrible first half. But in the bigger picture it was a big comeback against a poor team that's reeling. It is what it is.

If IU gets smacked this weekend by 20+ nobody will remember last night's win. As much as I want them to turn the corner, it seems unlikely they will suddenly learn to guard the three or shoot better. 

I'm hoping they solve the puzzle but reality says there are more bad games coming their way than good games. More Ls than Ws. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I want to give the team credit for fighting till the end. Any conf road win is a big plus. I also want to be realistic.

They played much better in the second half after a horrible first half. But in the bigger picture it was a big comeback against a poor team that's reeling. It is what it is.

If IU gets smacked this weekend by 20+ nobody will remember last night's win. As much as I want them to turn the corner, it seems unlikely they will suddenly learn to guard the three or shoot better. 

I'm hoping they solve the puzzle but reality says there are more bad games coming their way than good games. More Ls than Ws. 

Oh, such is the life of a Hoosier fan.

i had to watch the game when i got home from my son's game.  luckily we made it home in time to rewind and watch last night.  as you can imagine with my not so optimistic takes, i was disgusted for most of the game.  i never stop watching though and am glad i didn't!  that said, i am obviously happy about the win.  i definitely thought it would be another road loss.  that said, we beat one of the worst teams in the conference who had lost 7 of their last 8 in a big comeback victory by 3.  while i am happy today, let's not get carried away and say all is good, we are going to make the tourney, Woodson is a great coach, etc.  it is what it is.  the loss Sat will hurt my soul, but if by chance we could win the next two at home and then get revenge at PSU... then i will be much more impressed and maybe even a tad optimistic!  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Funny how narratives get formed and stick. In Big Ten play, Indiana is holding teams to just 31% from three, best in the conference. They're shooting 34.4% from three themselves, right in the middle of the pack at eighth in the conference, and a mark would be 162nd nationally, above the median.

I wished they shot more 3s... im not saying jack em up, but theres been alot of pass ups

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Funny how narratives get formed and stick. In Big Ten play, Indiana is holding teams to just 31% from three, best in the conference. They're shooting 34.4% from three themselves, right in the middle of the pack at eighth in the conference, and a mark would be 162nd nationally, above the median.

Averages can lie. We've watched them against tournament level teams get lit up from three. The B1G has a small number of quality teams and a bunch looking up at the NIT, as it stands today. I wouldn't put a lot of value on that average. Just rewatch the games against the better teams. It's ugly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dawg Bawls said:

I wished they shot more 3s... im not saying jack em up, but theres been alot of pass ups

That's definitely still true.

At 15.75 attempts per game in conference play, we're firmly last, more than two full attempts behind the next lowest team. Which is surprisingly Iowa. Ten of the fourteen B10 teams are above 20 per game, with Nebraska leading with 24.8 per.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

That's definitely still true.

At 15.75 attempts per game in conference play, we're firmly last, more than two full attempts behind the next lowest team. Which is surprisingly Iowa. Ten of the fourteen B10 teams are above 20 per game, with Nebraska leading with 24.8 per.

20 at the least thats making 5-6 ...15-18 points how many games is that a poss W or close

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

20 at the least thats making 5-6 ...15-18 points how many games is that a poss W or close

you would need to subtract the number of 2 pointers we typically would make but not take by taking 5-6 more 3's. Don't know what that would be but I'm pretty sure the "15-18 points" goes way down given how efficient IU is in the paint.

17 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

you would need to subtract the number of 2 pointers we typically would make but not take by taking 5-6 more 3's. Don't know what that would be but I'm pretty sure the "15-18 points" goes way down given how efficient IU is in the paint.

Or  subtract missed 2 or turnovers.. or 1 and 1...etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

This is the biggest issue with the coaching staff. When 2 pointers are going in at a 55% clip then shooting 43% from 3 won't do much from an exchange standpoint. Additionally, I think they fear going into a gigantic deficit because our defense is bad so they would rather take 2s.

Here's the Wisconsin Game. If we start adding one 3 point shot and taking away one 2 point shot Indiana would need to  take 4 more 3s to increase their point total by 1 point. Not really a good exchange. The biggest issue during this game was our defense. We scored 79 points which was more than enough to win. I do believe taking more 3s will decrease turnovers and provide better spacing for Ware and Malik but our defense is dumb on so many possessions. 

2 point Percentage 

3 Point Percentage 

57.90% Points From 42.90% Points From Point Total
Actual Shots Taken During Game 38 44 14 18 62
  37 43 15 19 62
  36 42 16 21 62
  35 41 17 22 62
  34 39 18 23 63
  33 38 19 24 63
  32 37 20 26 63
  31 36 21 27 63

Dumb Defense...2 beers and a shot to that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

100%. Even with a couple of pretty big stinkers shooting from 3, we are actually 35.7% since the start of December. We just need to shoot more of them IMO. We're at 16.3 attempts per game in that stretch, what if that was 22 and we kept making at the same clip, plus it led to an additional offensive rebound and we score on that 50% of the time? That's 7 more PPG...

Would probably only change a couple outcomes at best, but it also makes a lot of the blowouts closer and we'd be in a much better spot for March.

Either way, would really love to see us play more perimeter oriented these next 5 weeks to see where we end up and can build towards for the future. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Below is a graph of last night's Ohio State Game. I exchanged 3s for 2s at the shooting percentages we had last night. I also increased 3s shot from 13 (how many we took) all the way to 25 (The number Nebraska takes per game the highest in the league). In a vacuum If we took 25 3 point shots at 38.5% clip our overall point total from 3s and 2s increases by 3 points. Turnovers would decrease significantly because the ball wouldn't be in the paint as often. Additionally, the defense would need to adjust leaving Malik and Ware in more 1 on 1 situations increasing the 2 point percentage. The question would be how many free throws would we be taking? We took 31 free throws and hit 21. Would that assumed decrease in free throws be too much to overcome? Lastly, our Point Per Possession in the 1st half was .75 per possession and we were at 1.50 points per possession in the 2nd half. This occurred even with a low percentage of 3 pointers taken. 

Overall, I think the most important factor about the 3 point shot is that it reduces turnovers but most importantly breaks the will of an opponent when they're going in. Malik and Ware's 2 point shots are even more heartbreaking for the opponent because they can't be stopped. I don't believe Ohio State goes up by Double Digits if we took more quality threes and ran plays like the one created for Leal and fast break 3 Leal created for Galloway. I believe more threes would utilize Ware and Malik better allowing their high percentage shots to have a greater affect on the moral of an opponent. 

VS. Ohio State  46.5% Points From 2 38.50% Points From 3 Point Total
Actual Shots Taken During Game 43 40 13 15 55
Exchanging 2s for 3s 42 39 14 16 55
  41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Below is a graph of last night's Ohio State Game. I exchanged 3s for 2s at the shooting percentages we had last night. I also increased 3s shot from 13 (how many we took) all the way to 25 (The number Nebraska takes per game the highest in the league). In a vacuum If we took 25 3 point shots at 38.5% clip our overall point total from 3s and 2s increases by 3 points. Turnovers would decrease significantly because the ball wouldn't be in the paint as often. Additionally, the defense would need to adjust leaving Malik and Ware in more 1 on 1 situations increasing the 2 point percentage. The question would be how many free throws would we be taking? We took 31 free throws and hit 21. Would that assumed decrease in free throws be too much to overcome? Lastly, our Point Per Possession in the 1st half was .75 per possession and we were at 1.50 points per possession in the 2nd half. This occurred even with a low percentage of 3 pointers taken. 

Overall, I think the most important factor about the 3 point shot is that it reduces turnovers but most importantly breaks the will of an opponent when they're going in. Malik and Ware's 2 point shots are even more heartbreaking for the opponent because they can't be stopped. I don't believe Ohio State goes up by Double Digits if we took more quality threes and ran plays like the one created for Leal and fast break 3 Leal created for Galloway. I believe more threes would utilize Ware and Malik better allowing their high percentage shots to have a greater affect on the moral of an opponent. 

41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

Great post! I'd add that we should expect to get more offensive boards with more threes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Overall, I think the most important factor about the 3 point shot is that it reduces turnovers but most importantly breaks the will of an opponent when they're going in. I don't believe Ohio State goes up by Double Digits if we took more quality threes and ran plays like the one created for Leal and fast break three Leal created for Galloway.I believe more threes would utilize Ware and Malik better allowing their high percentage shots to have a greater affect on the moral of an opponent. 

41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

Love it! Agree that there are several other variables at play here. I always chuckle when someone throws out the "basketball is a simple game" quote. Conceptually yes, but the underlying facets are super complex and intertwined.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm an eternal optimist, but Woody has shown that his teams get better as the year goes on... Could it be...

We scored on the final 23 or our 29 possessions in the 2nd half. The zoom action and pick and rolls with Galloway and Malik were terrific. I know Ohio State sucks but the 2nd half offense was the best we've had all year at 1.50 points per possession. I can't help but wonder if the 2nd half offense were coaching changes, player changes and or both? We stopped putting the ball on the 3 point line and choreographing passes to Ware and Malik. Instead we saw Galloway force the issue with Malik cutting the basket. The Ohio State defense couldn't predictably settle on one side of the basket when Malik and or Ware got the ball in the post. 

• Like 2