Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

56 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm an eternal optimist, but Woody has shown that his teams get better as the year goes on... Could it be...

The thing is I wish he can start earlier in the season for them to figure it out.  In the NBA you can play around with lineups for 20-25 games and not be effected to much. On the NBA it is an 82 game schedule so that gives you some wiggle room but don't have that time in college 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Below is a graph of last night's Ohio State Game. I exchanged 3s for 2s at the shooting percentages we had last night. I also increased 3s shot from 13 (how many we took) all the way to 25 (The number Nebraska takes per game the highest in the league). In a vacuum If we took 25 3 point shots at 38.5% clip our overall point total from 3s and 2s increases by 3 points. Turnovers would decrease significantly because the ball wouldn't be in the paint as often. Additionally, the defense would need to adjust leaving Malik and Ware in more 1 on 1 situations increasing the 2 point percentage. The question would be how many free throws would we be taking? We took 31 free throws and hit 21. Would that assumed decrease in free throws be too much to overcome? Lastly, our Point Per Possession in the 1st half was .75 per possession and we were at 1.50 points per possession in the 2nd half. This occurred even with a low percentage of 3 pointers taken. 

Overall, I think the most important factor about the 3 point shot is that it reduces turnovers but most importantly breaks the will of an opponent when they're going in. Malik and Ware's 2 point shots are even more heartbreaking for the opponent because they can't be stopped. I don't believe Ohio State goes up by Double Digits if we took more quality threes and ran plays like the one created for Leal and fast break 3 Leal created for Galloway. I believe more threes would utilize Ware and Malik better allowing their high percentage shots to have a greater affect on the moral of an opponent. 

VS. Ohio State  46.5% Points From 2 38.50% Points From 3 Point Total
Actual Shots Taken During Game 43 40 13 15 55
Exchanging 2s for 3s 42 39 14 16 55
  41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

This is some really good stuff here. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm an eternal optimist, but Woody has shown that his teams get better as the year goes on... Could it be...

So we can expect to go 7-1 over our final 8 games (meaning we win the BTT, get slotted into the First 4, and lose in the sweet 16)? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Below is a graph of last night's Ohio State Game. I exchanged 3s for 2s at the shooting percentages we had last night. I also increased 3s shot from 13 (how many we took) all the way to 25 (The number Nebraska takes per game the highest in the league). In a vacuum If we took 25 3 point shots at 38.5% clip our overall point total from 3s and 2s increases by 3 points. Turnovers would decrease significantly because the ball wouldn't be in the paint as often. Additionally, the defense would need to adjust leaving Malik and Ware in more 1 on 1 situations increasing the 2 point percentage. The question would be how many free throws would we be taking? We took 31 free throws and hit 21. Would that assumed decrease in free throws be too much to overcome? Lastly, our Point Per Possession in the 1st half was .75 per possession and we were at 1.50 points per possession in the 2nd half. This occurred even with a low percentage of 3 pointers taken. 

Overall, I think the most important factor about the 3 point shot is that it reduces turnovers but most importantly breaks the will of an opponent when they're going in. Malik and Ware's 2 point shots are even more heartbreaking for the opponent because they can't be stopped. I don't believe Ohio State goes up by Double Digits if we took more quality threes and ran plays like the one created for Leal and fast break 3 Leal created for Galloway. I believe more threes would utilize Ware and Malik better allowing their high percentage shots to have a greater affect on the moral of an opponent. 

41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

It isn't just "run plays to get 3s" though.. that's the issue. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Has anything been said about Ware's health? He came up gimpy on that breakaway late but I haven't heard anything about it.

He was standing at the scorers table when Leal was shooting his final FTs... It looked like they were trying to get him in the game, but the refs didn't allow it... 

• Thanks 1

41 38 15 17 55
  40 37 16 18 56
  39 36 17 20 56
  38 35 18 21 56
  37 34 19 22 56
  36 33 20 23 57
  35 33 21 24 57
  34 32 22 25 57
  33 31 23 27 57
  32 30 24 28 57
  31 29 25 29 58

Carrying this out further.... If we don't go inside as much, and don't draw as many fouls, Okpara is likely playing more minutes and defending with more intensity if he is no longer in foul trouble. Does he get 1 more block? Score 1 or 2 more baskets than his replacement?

Having an experienced, high IQ, point guard is essential, IMO, to run the right play based on personnel on the floor and game management factors.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Always good stuff from @The Daily Hoosier

I need to start putting a copyright on my material:

13th&Jackson

How far apart are the following teams in the NET rankings?

Team 1: 13-8, 1-4 road, 1-2 neutral, 2-7 quad 1, 2-1 quad 2. No quad 3 or 4 losses

Team 2: 13-8, 1-4 road, 1-2 neutral, 0-7 quad 1, 3-1 quad 2. No quad 3 or 4 losses

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Every guy on the bench should watch that. That’s how you affect winning without having a ton of shots/stats. So much of that doesn’t show up in the box score but is the difference in the game. Effort!!

Particularly Gunn and Banks... 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Particularly Gunn and Banks... 

I mean honestly we are in trouble if Leal is our savior but if every guy was able to step in when called and give us that same effort and chip in…well we wouldn’t be worried about getting into the tournament.  We just aren’t getting an acceptable level of effort and consistent contribution from our bench. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean honestly we are in trouble if Leal is our savior but if every guy was able to step in when called and give us that same effort and chip in…well we wouldn’t be worried about getting into the tournament.  We just aren’t getting an acceptable level of effort and consistent contribution from our bench. 

Agree.

This is by no means the whole/only answer to the issue of effort and contribution, but possibly worth noting. Leal doesn't have NBA aspirations... I'm sure he would play if he could, but he's seemingly realistic about his future, with no illusions of grandeur. As such, there is an underlying confidence he has from his real estate business that doesn't make him desperate while playing.

I think there are other players on the team, despite the low odds, have a deep hope that the NBA can be a destination for them. Because of this -- and it's more my opinion than anything -- they don't appear to lay it all on the line here at this level. It's treated as a step to something else.

So for Leal -- and this level of college basketball -- he is exactly what you want/need. This is his NBA. He might not be our athletic savior, but he certainly can be our mental & leadership savior.

• Like 2

I’m sure Gunn and Banks have aspirations of playing professional ball at some level. The upside is their athletic ability, and I’m sure that’s why they’ve been ahead of Leal during the course of the season, but it’s apparent that he’s what we need at this point - a fundamentally sound rebounding guard that’s a 3pt threat. My only question is why did it take this long to figure it out?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Want to see a lot more of this action down the stretch. 

I almost brought up using more zoom action a couple weeks ago. Earlier in the season we were really successful getting Trey into that zoom action and DHO’s but I seemed like we got away from that and opted for a more stagnant “throw it into Malik” approach. Not sure how accurate my memory is on that but that’s how it felt to me. This action so much more dynamic and a lot harder to guard.

• Like 2

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

I almost brought up using more zoom action a couple weeks ago. Earlier in the season we were really successful getting Trey into that zoom action and DHO’s but I seemed like we got away from that and opted for a more stagnant “throw it into Malik” approach. Not sure how accurate my memory is on that but that’s how it felt to me. This action so much more dynamic and a lot harder to guard.

I think you’re pretty accurate in how you’re remembering things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you’re pretty accurate in how you’re remembering things. 

The Kansas game in particular sticks out to me. I know Trey had a really good game in that one. There was a lot of similar action in that clip you shared. The Kansas game didn’t end up how we wanted but it was arguably one of the better games we’ve played this season.

• Like 2