Penn State Post Game

Hoosier987

Woodson talks like we just need better shooters and that’s the difference (hitting threes and free throws)…well no sh!t Sherlock!!! You put this roster together…not some GM.  These are your guys!! We all could have told you before the season this would continue to be a problem….its been an issue all 3 years and coming in we all were screaming to bring in some shooters and what did you do??? Brought in 4 bigs this offseason…Ware, Walker, Sparks, and Mbako. Two guards but one injured already and the other an undersized point guard…I just can’t listen to this man anymore. No accountability. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i completely forgot the game was on today.  Was out shopping with the wife and saw an update on twitter and was like 'huh" we played today

Took my little girl to the park and then Ice cream…beautiful day sunny and 75…no way I was going to waste a day and watch our putrid team.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Woodson talks like we just need better shooters and that’s the difference (hitting threes and free throws)…well no sh!t Sherlock!!! You put this roster together…not some GM.  These are your guys!! We all could have told you before the season this would continue to be a problem….its been an issue all 3 years and coming in we all were screaming to bring in some shooters and what did you do??? Brought in 4 bigs this offseason…Ware, Walker, Sparks, and Mbako. Two guards but one injured already and the other an undersized point guard…I just can’t listen to this man anymore. No accountability. 

To me it isn't just about players being bad shooters but it is the system not getting them good looks. It looks to me they hesitate when the catch the ball and are afraid to shoot.

• Like 2

Nothing new can be said. I’d love to just see us try something different. I don’t care if we get beat by 40, but for crying out loud nothing changes. Woodson thinks the crappy shooting team he put together is just going to start shooting it well, or they’re just going to start playing better D. Press a little bit, or play a 1-2-2…. try something to get more transition buckets. We’re going to give up 80+ every game anyway. Give SOMETHING new a look for crying out loud. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it isn't just about players being bad shooters but it is the system not getting them good looks. It looks to me they hesitate when the catch the ball and are afraid to shoot.

On Miller Kopp when he was shooting 45% from three but didn’t shoot enough to be ranked among the best in CBB:

“About utilizing him, I run a couple plays for him here and there, but my focus isn't just on Miller. Everybody has to play a role and when you have shots, you have to be ready to knock them down. For some reason, he's not getting a lot of shots, because they are not leaving him. And I wouldn't leave him, either.”

…but I'm just not here to create a lot of shots for just Miller. I mean, I'm not here to do that.l”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They get fine looks…they are hesitant because they suck at shooting. Nothing will change that for me. They can’t even shoot free throws so of course they can’t shoot 3s. They also have really slow releases…anyone watch elite shooters like Steph Curry and Reggie Miller,,, heck even Caitlin Clark?? They have hair trigger releases…our guys load up like they are loading a Middle Ages trebuchet.  The offense is similar to many other teams run. The focal point is different (we are trying to generate looks for our bigs) but the most important difference is the guys running it. We are about as poor shooters in all of division 1. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

They get fine looks…they are hesitant because they suck at shooting. Nothing will change that for me. They can’t even shoot free throws so of course they can’t shoot 3s. They also have really slow releases…anyone watch elite shooters like Steph Curry and Reggie Miller,,, heck even Caitlin Clark?? They have hair trigger releases…our guys load up like they are loading a Middle Ages trebuchet.  The offense is similar to many other teams run. The focal point is different (we are trying to generate looks for our bigs) but the most important difference is the guys running it. We are about as poor shooters in all of division 1. 

Trebuchet?  I loved that analogy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years one and two CMW focused on defense first. You'd have a hard time finding a worse defense in conference today. They're going on 30 games and still have no clue how to defend. And not fouling is part of being able to defend. 

The team ridiculously leaves shooters, is often out of position, consistently looks lost and if they do occasionally defend they don't seem concerned with rebounding most of the time. Just as important, they don't have the skills to stop fouling. All lead to easy points for their opponents. 

The offense is a different issue. They still can't shoot beyond six feet so they have to work harder than every other team to score.

We could continue talking about the four out one in offense. It doesn't matter. If you can't shoot, dribble, or pass and can't hit FTs for some odd reason, it doesn't matter what you run. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Years one and two CMW focused on defense first. You'd have a hard time finding a worse defense in conference today. They're going on 30 games and still have no clue how to defend. And not fouling is part of being able to defend. 

The team ridiculously leaves shooters, is often out of position, consistently looks lost and if they do occasionally defend they don't seem concerned with rebounding most of the time. Just as important, they don't have the skills to stop fouling. All lead to easy points for their opponents. 

The offense is a different issue. They still can't shoot beyond six feet so they have to work harder than every other team to score.

We could continue talking about the four out one in offense. It doesn't matter. If you can't shoot, dribble, or pass and can't hit FTs for some odd reason, it doesn't matter what you run. 

Helping one pass away is inexplicable….i screamed at the tv for half the season until i realized it wasn’t going to change and accepted the fact we are much worse than even I thought. I thought we would be a bubble team this year trying to bring in so many new faces and losing so much leadership…but this is just the laziest and poorest coaching and roster construction I’ve ever seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Thankfully I didn’t have anything much posted in there…but reading that makes me think IU fans aren’t as smart as we like to believe.

Yeah...Better to be a Monday morning quarterback, right? The very first sentence in the very first post explains it...

No guts, no glory I guess... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think it says a ton that this post game thread is only three pages long. 😳

We are saving our energy for how deep and skilled we will get in the off season. Which I guess all we are playing for right now, is practice for next year anyway. Its kind of like we are already in our off season.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1