Michigan State Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I have a problem if he’s referring to fans asking questions and wanting better leadership for the players. He could have answered professionally when asked at various opportunities but chose not to do so. He’s had plenty of opportunities to explain various aspects of his coaching, and he continually chooses not to. He doesn’t like being questioned. I have found him to be defensive with his answers, and thanking “true fans” is bit of a slap in the face to those who care and ask questions. 

Questioning the coach does not make one not a “true fan”, I would argue the opposite. It’s very ok for a fan to ask questions and not be pleased with leadership.

Two things can be true at the same time: one can be a fan of a team AND question aspects of coaching. These are not mutually exclusive. 

Great post. Couldn’t have said it better myself

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

I know the metrics don’t like us but if MSU is a lock we should be in the conversation 

Iowa, Osu, minny, Maryland, Msu all ranked ahead of us

People trying to make a case for OSU and Iowa.  2 weeks ago they acted like Minny had a chance

8-0 agaimst

that group 

35 spots behind OSu and 70 behind MSU

The net needs to be thrown out and not used.  Clearly broken

NET should only ever matter when it comes to the ranking of a team's opponents, not of the team itself. NET has shown to be heavily reliant on efficiency metrics, but those are predictive, not descriptive. A team's own ranking in the NET tells you nothing about who they played, who they beat, or who didn't. Too many analysts, and fans too, are using NET interchangeably with an S-curve, and that's not at all how the tool should be used. 

MSU has a quality win against Baylor that we don't have, and that's really the only thing that should have them in the field ahead of us. By Wins Above Bubble they rank 60. We rank 61.

• Like 1

Y'all underestimate how tough Mike Woodson is...

You're talking about a guy who got off of an operating table and 6 weeks later led his team to the Big 10 championship, and was B10 player of the year... 

And he just punched some of y'all right in the mouth...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

NET should only ever matter when it comes to the ranking of a team's opponents, not of the team itself. NET has shown to be heavily reliant on efficiency metrics, but those are predictive, not descriptive. A team's own ranking in the NET tells you nothing about who they played, who they beat, or who didn't. Too many analysts, and fans too, are using NET interchangeably with an S-curve, and that's not at all how the tool should be used. 

MSU has a quality win against Baylor that we don't have, and that's really the only thing that should have them in the field ahead of us. By Wins Above Bubble they rank 60. We rank 61.

Great post! Yes, while our records are similar to MSU within the Quad 1/2 ranges, who each of us beat and lost too isn't the same. 

39 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

I know the metrics don’t like us but if MSU is a lock we should be in the conversation 

Iowa, Osu, minny, Maryland, Msu all ranked ahead of us

People trying to make a case for OSU and Iowa.  2 weeks ago they acted like Minny had a chance

8-0 agaimst

that group 

35 spots behind OSu and 70 behind MSU

The net needs to be thrown out and not used.  Clearly broken

If anyone should be upset if some of those get in is ISU if they don't make it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

If the fans can rip him and say he should take it then he should be able to give us some shit too

I have no problem with it and actually like it. Sticking up for himself and the staff and his players 

I loved it and my goal for next year is to be a better fan and not jump ship so quickly. This season isn't what everybody wished for but really 18-13 isn't to far off from where we were predicted to finish. We knew there would be a drop off from last year but not as much as we saw for most of the year. 

We as fans should know that all of our criticism gets back to the team and might effect them. I don't like how we as fans treat the players for the most part. Woodson is a grown man and making millions do he can take it. I noticed how Leal put a jab in with the fans as well and it was warranted

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The numbers weren't manipulated negatively with IU though. We simply weren't good. 

We didn't take care of our own business. Barely beat terrible teams and blown out by good ones. 

Not every win/loss is created equal. 

we moved to 85 in the net. msu stayed at 19. the loss meant nothing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The numbers weren't manipulated negatively with IU though. We simply weren't good. 

We didn't take care of our own business. Barely beat terrible teams and blown out by good ones. 

Not every win/loss is created equal. 

All the respect in the world. I just disagree but you already know that. Coach Woodson will learn...he was trying to develop players in November and December against lesser teams. Unfortunately he has to keep his starters in (and worry about the folks that complain about dead legs come March) and run up the score.

I get it. So do you. I also think the not every win/loss stuff is a phrase that fits a position to justify the metrics. Again...I get it. Just don't agree.

Just glad to see the Hoosiers get a W again. Hopefully everyone is happy with that. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Would be amazing if it could happen.  Maybe the NET moves up dramatically by then.  

I believe the committee used to look at the final ten performance but no longer does.  That would have helped under your scenario.   

If I were guessing without knowing the rankings. Sparty moves up in NET rankings because of how they beat Indiana St...but once again lost another game to an obviously inferior opponent in Indiana. Shoot that's probably a good loss for them. Is that like 4 of 5 losses for Sparty down the stretch with 2 coming at home?

I can hear it now. Sparty is a tough, tough out come tourney time.

48 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it's okay.  Scott is as hypocritical as anyone i have ever interacted with.  although, i would love it if someone could find the old picture that someone posted years ago that said "Rejected by Scott."  

So you can't be happy with a win even if you don't think the coach is good

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're tiring Scott. Pick one side and stay there please.  You can't talk sh1t for a month about the coach and then jump back and tell am of us to be better fans blah blah blah. It's exhausting. 

Not picking on the poster you mentioned but I agree. Lot of tennis matches going on lately.

Oh well. Go Hoosiers. Pickleball time.