2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Is there any reason to expect Carlyle not to commit this weekend? I'm assuming that is what he is waiting for. Not sure if will want to think it over for a few days, take another visit, etc,

I think KC is a Hoosier by Monday.. no info though! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Is there any reason to expect Carlyle not to commit this weekend? I'm assuming that is what he is waiting for. Not sure if will want to think it over for a few days, take another visit, etc,

He's already a silent commit. He just hasn't announced because of formalities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

16 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

The fan reaction to Connor Essegian intrigues me. As a freshman he was a 36% shooter from three, on over 5 shots per game. The label of knockdown shooter was born.

But last year he was only 30%. His minutes fell way off, but his 3P attempt rate actually went up, as though he knew he was in there to do one thing.

So if he commits here, will we think we're getting the starter with good shooting percentage? Or are we getting the bench player who couldn't find that rhythm? Always fascinates me who gets called a Shooter and who doesn't.

Great post. 

2 more made 3s by CE last season and his percentage goes from 30.3% to 33.3%. Wild huh? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm happy when IU gets their guy.  And, I'll always be a Hoosier fan.  But, man I'll take a team like Indiana State had this year every time over one that was constructed in the mold of George Steinbrenner's Yankees (youngsters can google him).

If a genie were to grant me my college basketball wish, I would put the game back like it was before free agency.

Oh, and you guys can get off my lawn!

Agreed.  Gone are the days of playing for the name on the front of the jersey.  Now they play for the names in the wallet.  Wonder if we should consider changing our team name to the “Benjamins”….:coffee:

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Agreed.  Gone are the days of playing for the name on the front of the jersey.  Now they play for the names in the wallet.  Wonder if we should consider changing our team name to the “Benjamins”….:coffee:

There's a reason that the old "company store" business model doesn't exist anymore.  Why? Because it sucks getting paid in scrip whenever there are people out there getting s**t rich in actual money from your efforts. 

Here is one thing that will not change: the media rights to college basketball/football generate huge amounts of dollars.  And we're not talking drips and drabs.  These are obscene amounts.  Scrooge McDuck money bin amounts. 

The university is making god knows how much.  Your coach and possibly even his top assistant are making 7 figures.  And you're supposed to put your body on the line in exchange for a scholarship that isn't going to cost the university even $100K over 4 years and have to live by rules where someone can't buy you a damn bagel?

"....I owe my soul to the company store......"

The concept of playing as a team and for each other isn't dead.  Look at the back to back seasons UConn has had.  99% of kids aren't asking for the whole pie, just their slice.  And believe it or not, even the bench players are getting paid and some are even doing some good with it.  Anthony Leal made enough NIL money in one year to pay off his sister's 4 years of student loans in full and have some left over. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I wonder if there isn’t an agreement to hold off announcing so as to not scare off others that are being recruited? I think that ship has sailed and it’s time to make it official!🤷🏼‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

All of the following are real quotes from high-major D1 college basketball coaches:

Sounds like they're talking about the portal/NIL, doesn't it?

They're not. 

Know what they're talking about? They're talking about the exact thing that everyone in this thread is clamoring for, even the "old school" guys.....

All of the above quotes are from 1986-87, and the coaches are talking about the adoption of the 3 point line. 

Just a reminder that even in our own personal "good old days", there was a "get off my lawn" guy yearning for HIS "good old days".  Things are always evolving.  That doesn't make change inherently good or inherently bad, but change is always present. 

I sometimes wonder at the root of everything is generational envy. "This young generation has it easy." "The younger generation is all about money." "The younger generation has no loyalty." etc.

I didn't get to play with a 3 point line, why can they? 

I couldn't earn money playing college sports, why can they? 

Boomers received similar criticism when they were young and now dish it. Same thing with Generation X. Same thing is starting with Millennials. We're all guilty. 

I think it's just a societal thing that will never change. I'm sure that in the Paleolithic period cavemen were complaining their kids had it so easy because the wheel was invented. 

Change happens. We adapt. It becomes the norm. 

In the words of Jeff Tweedy: 

And that's not wrong or right
But you can struggle with it all you like
You'll only get uptight

✌️

...and that's my philosophical thought for the day.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

All of the following are real quotes from high-major D1 college basketball coaches:

They're not. 

Know what they're talking about? They're talking about the exact thing that everyone in this thread is clamoring for, even the "old school" guys.....

All of the above quotes are from 1986-87, and the coaches are talking about the adoption of the 3 point line. 

Just a reminder that even in our own personal "good old days", there was a "get off my lawn" guy yearning for HIS "good old days".  Things are always evolving.  That doesn't make change inherently good or inherently bad, but change is always present. 

I hear what you're saying but I still don't like how out of hand things have gotten.  I'm good with the leveling of the playing field but I don't ever recall feeling this way about the 3-point line.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I sometimes wonder at the root of everything is generational envy.

I don't think it's envy so much as human beings are inherently resistant to change.  We like getting in our own little comfort zones and staying there.  That's why change is more often evolutionary vs revolutionary. 

It's not so much that we view change as bad, it's just different. 

And in today's world, the threat of change is possibly even more potent than actual change.  Social media and the 24/7 news cycle causes information to get spread at incredibly fast rates.  Sometimes too fast, in the case of mis-information.  People grab one nugget of information and think their entire world is going to change.  When in reality, it's not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm good with the leveling of the playing field but I don't ever recall feeling this way about the 3-point line.

That's because for you and me, those are our "good old days".  In 35 years, there's going to be guys in their mid 30s-50s saying "Can you believe that as little as 35 years ago, they weren't paying these guys? But I don't know about XYZ-change....I think it ruins the integrity of the game."

35 years ago, it was "Can you believe that 25 years ago, the slam dunk was illegal? It's part of what makes the game exciting.  I don't know about this 3 point line stuff though...ruins the integrity of the game."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's because for you and me, those are our "good old days".  In 35 years, there's going to be guys in their mid 30s-50s saying "Can you believe that as little as 35 years ago, they weren't paying these guys? But I don't know about XYZ-change....I think it ruins the integrity of the game."

35 years ago, it was "Can you believe that 25 years ago, the slam dunk was illegal? It's part of what makes the game exciting.  I don't know about this 3 point line stuff though...ruins the integrity of the game."

Maybe.  It's a good argument. That being said, I've always preferred amateur sports to professional sports and I suspect I always will.  What's the main difference between amateur and professional sports...?

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

To this and your above post change is inevitable! The change isn’t the real problem though, the inability of the majority to adjust is the problem! It’s what makes ‘Old People’ ‘Old People’

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Maybe.  It's a good argument. That being said, I've always preferred amateur sports to professional sports and I suspect I always will.  What's the main difference between amateur and professional sports...?

Is it really an "amateur" sport when there are multi-billion dollar media contracts?

I've said it other places as well.....none of this is new, it's just legal to talk about now.  Paying players has been going on since John Wooden in the 1970s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

To this and your above post change is inevitable! The change isn’t the real problem though, the inability of the majority to adjust is the problem! It’s what makes ‘Old People’ ‘Old People’

Old people don't necessarily have to have old perspectives though.  The ability to see that change is necessary despite it being against our own personal preferences is wisdom. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Old people don't necessarily have to have old perspectives though.  The ability to see that change is necessary despite it being against our own personal preferences is wisdom. 

Exactly! I think it stems from people getting to a certain comfy place and they stop learning.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Have you watched a UK basketball game in the last 15 years? There were plenty of genuine articles that went through Teflon John's system. 

I have...exceptions to everything I'd reckon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

They're not. 

A+, no edits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have...exceptions to everything I'd reckon

The one I'll never forget, James Young.  2014, after UConn beat UK for the national title, this kid (a freshman at the time, surprise surprise) showing no signs of sadness/anger over losing a national championship game is whipping out t-shirts with his own "personal brand/logo". 

And surprise surprise, he went in the first round of the draft, played a total of 95 games across 4 years for two teams and has bounced between the G-League and Europe since. 

If that isn't real-deal diva, I don't know what is. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

The fan reaction to Connor Essegian intrigues me. As a freshman he was a 36% shooter from three, on over 5 shots per game. The label of knockdown shooter was born.

But last year he was only 30%. His minutes fell way off, but his 3P attempt rate actually went up, as though he knew he was in there to do one thing.

So if he commits here, will we think we're getting the starter with good shooting percentage? Or are we getting the bench player who couldn't find that rhythm? Always fascinates me who gets called a Shooter and who doesn't.

I followed him pretty closely last year since I saw him as a portal target.  In a nutshell he had a bad back his sophomore year that really hurt him.  Also, Gard was VERY down in his defense.  Openly.   

I would not have been in favor of him as a starter as some sort of panacea.  But, as an 8th or 9th who can come in and shoot, he’d be an asset I think.  I like the size.  If his back gets healthy I think he can be solid in a role situation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1