Dusty May to Michigan

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

It's all relative. If he wins and dominates IU for years to come everyone will be up in arms for missing out. If he fails, everyone will say he was the next Archie - success at a small school that did not translate to the B1G.

So there's not one happy ending in all this. Another typical day as an Indiana Men's Basketball fan. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Personally, I think May is a much better coach than Woodson. Would May be good for us? Nobody knows for sure. But in my mind he would be a huge “upgrade” to what we have now. 

that may not be good enough for this “un-true” fan base, but lacking an absolute home run hire, I could certainly live with it.

What is an “un-true” fan?

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

What is an “un-true” fan?

A fan that questions the direction of Indiana Men's Basketball and or choices of the coaching staff, BoTs and Administration. Basically, anyone with concerns that we were 19-14 this year. Anyone wondering how in the 3 point era we have ranked the last three years 324, 345 and 355 in percentage of points coming from the 3 point line. 

• Like 2

I wasn’t convinced yet on May, but this is a nightmare situation for Woodson and Dolson. If next year, IU would manage to lose to MI (in a total rebuild year one) Btown will become as miserable for Woodson as it was in the last years of Davis, Crean and Miller. 
If I’m Dolson, I hope I have written evidence from the BoT stating that they opposed a change. I’d want that to leak to the media and present to my next prospective employers

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I wasn’t convinced yet on May, but this is a nightmare situation for Woodson and Dolson. If next year, IU would manage to lose to MI (in a total rebuild year one) Btown will become as miserable for Woodson as it was in the last years of Davis, Crean and Miller. 
If I’m Dolson, I hope I have written evidence from the BoT stating that they opposed a change. I’d want that to leak to the media and present to my next prospective employers

I have zero doubts about Dustys ability to build a competitive program. Obviously Michigan and Louisville were willing to take that gamble.

Michigan will be a problem for us and I expect Dusty to get kids like Mullins and Sisley.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I have zero doubts about Dustys ability to build a competitive program. Obviously Michigan and Louisville were willing to take that gamble.

Michigan will be a problem for us and I expect Dusty to get kids like Mullins and Sisley.

Yes, those commitments will be the first hits

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Not upset by this… Dusty still has a lot to prove. I hate how we always latch on to guys because they had a big run through the tournament, and especially if they have any ties to Indiana. Dusty could very well go on to have an amazing career at Michigan, but I’m not sure about it. We fell for that with Archie and he was out of his league as soon as he stepped foot in Bloomington. I’m not saying we don’t go young again, but I feel like the next move will be for a seasoned veteran. 

Good, I’m not the only one that feels this way. If May wasn’t a student manager under Knight, he’d have had 1/3 the number of posts on this and any other IU board. 

If May does well at Michigan, good for him. That doesn’t mean IU lost out, because he is a lot less proven than a lot of people think. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Tom White said:

And when will people let go of that saying? It is getting tiring already.

When the man who claimed that there are true fans, and by proxy the opposite exists, is gone or has won at such a level everyone is on board. 

• Like 2

Wish Dusty May nothing but the best of luck. He's one of us...and if/when the time comes that the job is open if it means as much as we think it does leaving Michigan isn't going to be that big of a deal.

Regarding May though. First thing I'd do is meet with the academic folks. See Terrance Shannon Jr situation.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding May though. First thing I'd do is meet with the academic folks. See Terrance Shannon Jr situation.

Regarding IU, first thing I’d do is meet with the Compliance folks. See Coach Kelvin Sampson.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

IMG_2854.thumb.png.5fd429ff7a3ec63f897d919edd3078e1.png

This seems like an interesting long term strategy. 

A quick perusal of IU boards would reveal a complete mistrust or worse of the BOTs and Administrators! And people say the fans have nothing to do with it!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wish Dusty May nothing but the best of luck. He's one of us...and if/when the time comes that the job is open if it means as much as we think it does leaving Michigan isn't going to be that big of a deal.

He's not leaving Michigan for Indiana. Good grief.

We had our chance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

A quick perusal of IU boards would reveal a complete mistrust or worse of the BOTs and Administrators! And people say the fans have nothing to do with it!

This isn't 100% true. IU boards have 100% trust that season tickets, apparel and the price of peacock be will increased indefinitely.

33 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

UofM is playing catch up on NIL for football. Basketball is a distant second in terms of priority (maybe even third behind hockey). So I wouldn't assume the NIL package May will be working with is great.

Dickinson made some eye-popping claims about how little money he earned through NIL last season while playing for the Wolverines. 

“The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 [a year] increase,” Dickinson said. “At Michigan, I got less than six figures for the year.”

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/05/09/hunter-dickinson-revealed-how-little-nil-money-he-made-while-at-michigan

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 [a year] increase,” Dickinson said. “At Michigan, I got less than six figures for the year.”

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/05/09/hunter-dickinson-revealed-how-little-nil-money-he-made-while-at-michigan

Yeah but who in their right mind is giving six figures to this dude...

hunter-dickinson-ski-mask.jpg-4.webp

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I agree. Most of the fans on message boards are out there with their theories and need to have an ‘inside’ source. For the most part, the fans (including the ones not on the internet) are supportive of the players and program. The alumni base is big and there is always talk about being set after playing for IU. A good example is Leal already working in real estate. If you add in NIL I’m not sure UM (strictly as a program, settle down on coaching, style of play, etc.) I don’t think they have anything better.