Dusty May to Michigan

Michigan, not a job you can turn down. That’s a destination job and has a ton of pluses.  I’d take it over Louisville every day of the week.  I like Dusty a lot and will pull for him except vs IU of course.  

As a coach, can’t say I watch all his games but I did see them beat Arizona and really liked his offense.  Personally I think he needs some help from his staff with the D.  

The nice thing is Michigan will give him a chance and he has the potential to recruit there.  Like to see IU guys do well.   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Didn't Howard take them to an elite 8 and two sweet 16's?

Mike Woodson is the gas station version of Juwan Howard. 

as much as i think Woodson is a terrible coach, the only thing Howard had over him was Martelli and actually having the sense to listen to him.  

i am bummed about this because he seemed like the most likely candidate that could be here for a long time.  at the same time, we can't risk making the wrong decision again, so i would prefer a proven winner at a power 5.  so now what after next year?  Pearl?  still say Beard, but know we won't.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Didn't Howard take them to an elite 8 and two sweet 16's?

Mike Woodson is the gas station version of Juwan Howard. 

Are you counting 2021 as both an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16?  It's not usually counted that way.  

In any event, yes he also made the Sweet 16 in 2022.  But, it's worth noting Michigan was 17-14 entering the tournament.  

Everyone happy with 17-14 raise their flipper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

1) If I’m May I want to have a full understanding of both their NIL situation and the admissions department. Dickinson was fairly clear he wasn’t happy with his MI NIL. Shannon and Love transfers were both tripped up by admissions

Dickinson is just well…a d!ck….he throught very highly of himself. I wouldn’t put his unhappiness as a signal Michigan doesn’t have NIL support.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Dickinson is just well…a d!ck….he throught very highly of himself. I wouldn’t put his unhappiness as a signal Michigan doesn’t have NIL support.

They should have plenty of money but basketball has to be an afterthought to football 

Not sure if May would have been the Guy, but I feel that Woodson isn’t the guy. It seemed like a very logical chance, with the way the season turned out, after L McNeely decomittted, to make a clean break, since there are no recruits coming in. I appreciate those who are cautious saying May could be another Archie, but one things for sure; if he ISNT another Archie, and has any modicum of success at Michigan, it futher drives a wedge between non- True Fans and Woodson. More pressure has just been applied, and this could be the One That Got Away

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

Not sure if May would have been the Guy, but I feel that Woodson isn’t the guy. It seemed like a very logical chance, with the way the season turned out, after L McNeely decomittted, to make a clean break, since there are no recruits coming in. I appreciate those who are cautious saying May could be another Archie, but one things for sure; if he ISNT another Archie, and has any modicum of success at Michigan, it futher drives a wedge between non- True Fans and Woodson. More pressure has just been applied, and this could be the One That Got Away

To clarify, not wanting May as head coach does not equate to wanting Woodson as head coach.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To clarify, not wanting May as head coach does not equate to wanting Woodson as head coach.

True, and now we get to see if it would have worked out. Kinda of like an experiment or something. I admit I’ve been a little ambivalent about May myself, having been burned by Archie. I guess the broader point I was trying to make is that I think for those who aren’t True Fans, every win that May gets, or God forbid any recruits he gets from the State of Indiana, or any losses to Michigan, just ratchets up the pressure that much more on Woodson. In my opinion, however, this proves that May was there for the taking, and I think we were at a very logical place to make a coaching move. It’s clear we are all in on Woodson now.

Edited by Rev_AK

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am bummed about this because he seemed like the most likely candidate that could be here for a long time.  at the same time, we can't risk making the wrong decision again, so i would prefer a proven winner at a power 5.  so now what after next year?  Pearl?  still say Beard, but know we won't.  

Beard is never going to happen and I believe you are currently standing on shore and watching the SS Pearl pass you by.

I fully expect May to do well at Michigan because Indiana is once again a day late and a dollar short on doing what is probably inevitable anyway.  What are the odds we are sitting here 4 years from now saying, "If only we would have moved on from Woodson in year 3 when everyone realized he wasn't putting in the effort"?

Stuff like this just lowers my already poor opinion of everyone running IU. Maybe we can have Purdue go on a Final Four run and put an exclamation point on their ineptness.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

True, and now we get to see if it would have worked out. Kinda of like an experiment or something. I admit I’ve been a little ambivalent about May myself, having been burned by Archie. I guess the broader point I was trying to make is that I think for those who aren’t True Fans, every win that May gets, or God forbid any recruits he gets from the State of Indiana, or any losses to Michigan, just ratchets up the pressure that much more on Woodson. In my opinion, however, this proves that May was there for the taking, and I think we were at a very logical place to make a coaching move. It’s clear we are all in on Woodson now.

All in on a 66 year old in his fourth year with zero recruits who needs to slap half to slightly more than half of his roster together in the portal with special extra money from 2 dumb@ss billionaires that support the school because he hasn't done half his job all year.

I mean it is possible to win the hand 4 suited and needing to pull an inside straight, but that generally isn't the hand you want to go all in on.  Yet here we are.

Everybody who was in on making this call shouldn't be afforded the opportunity to pick the next coach if he fails.  They should all follow him to unemployment.  All of them.

• Like 3

Personally, I think May is a much better coach than Woodson. Would May be good for us? Nobody knows for sure. But in my mind he would be a huge “upgrade” to what we have now. 

that may not be good enough for this “un-true” fan base, but lacking an absolute home run hire, I could certainly live with it.

• Like 4

Some buzz Adam Howard will go to Michigan in some capacity.  He took IU off his Twitter handle.  He has a big role with Grow the Game, which I believe helps managers interested in coaching.  Dusty May has advised that group.  Connecting the dots.  

image.thumb.jpeg.57ec9ebf64daef009a150761f5f1da7d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.63d561752644868c3344742207e0d03f.jpeg

Edited by BobSaccamanno

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think May will do great at Michigan....and I think he would have killed it at IU.

In a few years, maybe he'll feel the same way another pretty famous coach felt when his alma mater tagged him to be their (football) head coach...

"Mama called. And when Mama calls, you just have to come runnin'."

Edited by IUFLA