Kel’el Ware Declares for the NBA Draft

Congrats to Kel'el. Hope you come back to visit often. 

Put on 30-35lbs in a year... 

FR- 16MPG 48%FG 27% 3pt 7p 4r 1b

SO- 32MPG 59% 43% 3pt 16p 10r 2a 2b 

-------------------------------------------------------

In conference games he averaged 17p 11r 63% from the field 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KDB said:

It was fun to watch him play this year. Definitely one of the bright spots.

Hope he has a long career in the league.

Yes, he's a special talent. One that comes along rarely. In spite of his ability and one year in an IU uniform, really seemed like a team player.

Sadly, his one season at IU was similar to Vonleh's one year. Had the 9th pick in the draft that year and didn't achieve anything. Will be the same this year (in spite of Ware's best efforts). IU hasn't achieved much with one and done players and hasn't really leveraged them for recruiting.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good luck to Ware. Kid was lost on the bench in Oregon....and now a 1st round pick in the NBA. Says plenty about the development we have at IU for players.

I can't agree with the development part since i never watched how he played or was used at Oregon.  I do think he was either misused or mis-motivated at Oregon for sure based on how he played at IU.  Still has room to grow also.  Will be nice to see what 24/7 development at the NBA level will do for him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I can't agree with the development part since i never watched how he played or was used at Oregon.  I do think he was either misused or mis-motivated at Oregon for sure based on how he played at IU.  Still has room to grow also.  Will be nice to see what 24/7 development at the NBA level will do for him.

I think it's fair to give the IU coaches some credit.  Ware alluded to it in his thank you.  TJD has spoken openly about it as well.

Development can even mean something like getting hom to play harder for the full 40 minutes.  Doesnt have to strictly mean his shooting form or footwork in the post improved (though that could be true as well)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's fair to give the IU coaches some credit.  Ware alluded to it in his thank you.  TJD has spoken openly about it as well.

Development can even mean something like getting hom to play harder for the full 40 minutes.  Doesnt have to strictly mean his shooting form or footwork in the post improved (though that could be true as well)

Sorry i just don't agree.  I don't buy into Coach Woodson is some great developer of talent.  I just don't.  Not going to change my mind which is why i don't usually post much about.  And this will be the last time i do.  thanks for the response, i will see my way out of this thread and conversation.

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Definitely should get credit.

I get people living in that all so famous phrase of their own echo chamber. We only believe or say or pass along in agreeance with what that individual thinks or wants to think. I get it and it's a shame.

With that said. Maybe it was being away from home. Maybe Altman just didn't know the buttons to push. Maybe Altman pulled an Underwood (Podziemski) and just didn't think he had it....either way anyone that can see a kid who still doesn't turn 20 until next month hasn't grown/matured/developed in his 10 months has zero ability to look past their own bias or beliefs on our staff.

Ware is another example of a kid under Woodson who has developed and will be pro ready.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's ok to give some credit yes, but I really believe playing in this league the past year helped him tremendously .