Mgbako is the last remaining decision

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My guts says he comes back, But i wouldn't be surprised if he decided to do something else.  He is taking longer than the other to announce his intentions, which is his right.  I am sure he is talking through what it would mean to transfer, get feedback from the Pros and how it would impact him staying.  Seems like a smart kid. Was very good as a freshman and i assume will be even better next year as he matures, learns and develops more skills.  Is he a 3 or a 4 is a big question for him to determine what he wants to do. I really like the kid and hope he comes back.

I think your point of what it would mean to transfer is a good one. But I think the complexity of transferring classes, deadlines, degrees, degree requirements, etc, is something that these kids consider and hopefully/certainly have help with. I struggled with Drop-and-Add dates & deadlines back in the mostly computer-less days of mid-80's IU, haha, can't imagine the complexities of today (although tech does help).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrsStoller said:

I think your point of what it would mean to transfer is a good one. But I think the complexity of transferring classes, deadlines, degrees, degree requirements, etc, is something that these kids consider and hopefully/certainly have help with. I struggled with Drop-and-Add dates & deadlines back in the mostly computer-less days of mid-80's IU, haha, can't imagine the complexities of today (although tech does help).

I think some of it depends on if he is planning to finish school and get his degree or is the plan to jump to the NBA as soon as possible.  I hope he is thinking Student and Athlete but i would understand if his sole goal is NBA next year and not caring about losing credits or classes to transfer if it is the best for getting pro.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think some of it depends on if he is planning to finish school and get his degree or is the plan to jump to the NBA as soon as possible.  I hope he is thinking Student and Athlete but i would understand if his sole goal is NBA next year and not caring about losing credits or classes to transfer if it is the best for getting pro.

100%. If his degree goal is the NBA, then that's what he works towards for sure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

A buddy just texted me that he thinks Tucker committing means Mbako is gone. But I don't think that is the case at all, right?

I'm not anyone that is dialed in at all....but some combination of Portal PG or Guards to go along with TG, BT, MM, and MR is a pretty good but to your point I would think adding another guy like a Tucker only creates more space and more shots for MM. I would think he would want to come back once the NBA guys say one more year kid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Mbako needs to turn the tacos into NIL.  Get the Ellettsville shell gas station with their amazing tacos to sponsor him 🌮 

WAIT...... Do I need to venture back down to my home town for some Gas station taco's?? Shell at Sales and 46? Taco's?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

WAIT...... Do I need to venture back down to my home town for some Gas station taco's?? Shell at Sales and 46? Taco's?

Didn't they have a <ahem> drive in theater in Ellettsville?

It allll makes sense to me now 😁

16 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

In fact they did have an <ahem> drive in.... Damndest thing I ever snuck in to witness, several times. LOL

I'd heard 🙂 there was a bridge you could park on and watch, but you couldn't hear the dialogue... 😉

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd heard 🙂 there was a bridge you could park on and watch, but you couldn't hear the dialogue... 😉

In fact, you heard correctly. On a little dead end road to now where. Just past the place, off of haritstraight road... to the left.. Where grass wouldn't grow for 10 years on either side of the road, for all of the car traffic that had pulled of there.  Just crazy the things people would come from miles around to watch. 

1 hour ago, bronkonagurski said:

A buddy just texted me that he thinks Tucker committing means Mbako is gone. But I don't think that is the case at all, right?

I know it's a different position, but look at JHS.  Yes, he's getting first round money, but he lit up the B10 last year and now he's in the GLeague.  MM had his moments but he wasn't close to the impact JHS was. 

Getting Tucker is a good first step, since that'll make 3 top-30 recruits on the roster.  Given that MM is getting paid, land one or two more weapons and coming back to play another season of college ball sounds good to me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I know it's a different position, but look at JHS.  Yes, he's getting first round money, but he lit up the B10 last year and now he's in the GLeague.  MM had his moments but he wasn't close to the impact JHS was. 

Getting Tucker is a good first step, since that'll make 3 top-30 recruits on the roster.  Given that MM is getting paid, land one or two more weapons and coming back to play another season of college ball sounds good to me. 

I agree. I definitely don't think it means anything negative in regards to whether MM returns or not, but wanted to check the pulse here to make sure I'm not missing something.

I expect MM to get feedback on his pro prospects and return for next season. 

1 minute ago, bronkonagurski said:

I agree. I definitely don't think it means anything negative in regards to whether MM returns or not, but wanted to check the pulse here to make sure I'm not missing something.

I expect MM to get feedback on his pro prospects and return for next season. 

He's raw, but it's easy to see there's something there.  And something that'll translate really well to the NBA game.  If he makes as much of a leap as Reneau did from his freshman to sophomore season, MM is an easy lottery pick. 

• Like 1

I think you are outlining my thought. JHS, awesome x 10. Went too early. There's more to the NBA, playing with 30 yr old GAM (mentally)than being super smooth in College. 

MgTaco made some of the most quietly produced #'s for a freshmen in the nation last year.. (top 2 wasn't it?).. very Quietest #'s. With more GAM killer mind set, he could have blown out some records. Call it more primary mindset or Killer FU instinct/ Confidence, which ever. He needs one more year and we all say his improvement towards the FU mindset. And he's not skrimpin by on min wage!

I'll also add, I don't think that Trace would have his starting mind set at Golden state, if he had not came back for his last year.

Mental is 4:1 to physical. I once hear someone say. I'd bet $ that is being reverberated from CMFW to these players. . 

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I'll also add, I don't think that Trace would have his starting mind set at Golden state, if he had not came back for his last year.

I hate the damned Warriors but I even said he couldn't have landed in a better spot.  He doesn't have Dray's range (yet?) but plays a LOT like him on the defensive end and in the paint.  Oh, and he's not Rodman-on-a-coke-bender attitude wise either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I hate the damned Warriors but I even said he couldn't have landed in a better spot.  He doesn't have Dray's range (yet?) but plays a LOT like him on the defensive end and in the paint.  Oh, and he's not Rodman-on-a-coke-bender attitude wise either. 

The box score from last night he had 14 rebounds and Shot a 3!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The box score from last night he had 14 rebounds and Shot a 3!!! 

He's going to be the hidden gem from that draft, and a great example of staying that one extra year.  If he didn't come back as a senior, he wouldn't have had the ball handling skills he does now, and wouldn't have had that little bit of an edge he plays with. 

I still want to see him channel his dad and go full on 1998-power-forward for just a game or two though.  😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I still want to see him channel his dad

I have always wanted this and by staying with CMFW one more year made a huge leap towards it. It wouldn't have happened had he not. I think he is Just now coing into his GAM mind set game.

I don't think he'll ever have 3 range, but???? Maybe he doesn't need it. OH, and EFF Draymond. (rules are off for 2 hours)... He's a bitch.

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I have always wanted this and by staying with CMFW one more year made a huge leap towards it. It wouldn't have happened had he not. I think he is Just now coing into his GAM mind set game.

I don't think he'll ever have 3 range, but???? Maybe he doesn't need it. OH, and EFF Draymond. (rules are off for 2 hours)... He's a bitch.

I don't think he'll ever be confused for Klay or Steph, but even if he can take and make the occasional 3, it'd make him that much more effective down low.  Plants that little seed of possibility in the defender's head. 

• Like 1