Mgbako is the last remaining decision

Just now, btownqb said:

No the stupid shit is calling him Taco. Period. 

Not that big of a deal. Pretty sure most on here aren’t using it as a jab, more-so because it fits and has a ring to it. Nobody still holds that over his head. If he has a good sense of humor, I’m sure he doesn’t care. But I’m not going to argue about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Not that big of a deal. Pretty sure most on here aren’t using it as a jab, more-so because it fits and has a ring to it. Nobody still holds that over his head. If he has a good sense of humor, I’m sure he doesn’t care. But I’m not going to argue about it. 

its easier to say and remember Taco than his real name.  Case Closed.  chill

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It'd just be easier, unarguably, to call him MM. 

They undoubtedly hold that over his head. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think it's an unreasonable ask of fans to learn (how to spell) our player's names. Initials can work for brevity, but unless the nickname is what the player goes by (Yogi) or has leaned into on their own accord, just give the respect to the name they have and spell it out.

• Like 3

Call him Mack if you can't remember Mgbako. Or just learn Mgbako. It's six letters. There's a basic level of respect that goes into learning someone's name. This weird defense that you can't be bothered to do so reveals the disrepect inherent in the nickname.

No, I don't think Mgbako would like being called "Taco" to his face, even a little bit. You can disagree, but as long as there's any question about it, let's err on the side of being kind, shall we?

• Like 4

"Mgbako became one of two freshmen in the NCAA to score over 400 points, make at least 50 3-pointers, convert on 90-plus free throws, and grab at least 125 rebounds.  One of two Hoosiers to start all 33 games, he’d go on to average 12.2 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 1.3 assists in 27.1 minutes per game."

"As a reminder of those rules, a player like Mgbako needs to enter the draft by April 27, he can utilize an agent, if invited can attend the draft combine May 13-19, and he’d have until June 16 to either stay in the draft or return to college."

From TDH

Portal closes May 1st?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Call him Mack if you can't remember Mgbako. Or just learn Mgbako. It's six letters. There's a basic level of respect that goes into learning someone's name. This weird defense that you can't be bothered to do so reveals the disrepect inherent in the nickname.

No, I don't think Mgbako would like being called "Taco" to his face, even a little bit. You can disagree, but as long as there's any question about it, let's err on the side of being kind, shall we?

@John S case closed? or?

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't think it's an unreasonable ask of fans to learn (how to spell) our player's names. Initials can work for brevity, but unless the nickname is what the player goes by (Yogi) or has leaned into on their own accord, just give the respect to the name they have and spell it out.

I have to unzip my lips on this, having lived my whole life with a name widely regarded as a woman’s name (it’s a Scandinavian men’s name) this is just another case of ignorance being justified by relying on our own culture. Maybe I should have taken a clue from Johnny Cash?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

My gut says he’ll stay at IU. Have nothing official to back that up. Basing my opinion on fact he hasn’t said yet he’s entering the portal, and he really made great strides last year. 

I hope you're right. But once he gets NBA feedback, it could (not saying it will) change his mind. But maybe the portal closes before he gets that feedback. I don't keep up with all the ins and outs of the portal rules.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

I hope you're right. But once he gets NBA feedback, it could (not saying it will) change his mind. But maybe the portal closes before he gets that feedback. I don't keep up with all the ins and outs of the portal rules.

My guts says he comes back, But i wouldn't be surprised if he decided to do something else.  He is taking longer than the other to announce his intentions, which is his right.  I am sure he is talking through what it would mean to transfer, get feedback from the Pros and how it would impact him staying.  Seems like a smart kid. Was very good as a freshman and i assume will be even better next year as he matures, learns and develops more skills.  Is he a 3 or a 4 is a big question for him to determine what he wants to do. I really like the kid and hope he comes back.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My guts says he comes back, But i wouldn't be surprised if he decided to do something else.  He is taking longer than the other to announce his intentions, which is his right.  I am sure he is talking through what it would mean to transfer, get feedback from the Pros and how it would impact him staying.  Seems like a smart kid. Was very good as a freshman and i assume will be even better next year as he matures, learns and develops more skills.  Is he a 3 or a 4 is a big question for him to determine what he wants to do. I really like the kid and hope he comes back.

I am.with you as far as being a little curious why he has taken longer than most to announce his intentions. That definitely sticks in the back of my mind.

I don't see him transferring tho. I don't see the benefit to him in doing that.

I think it has to be professional (which I think would be a mistake) or he returns to IU.

I would like to humbly cast my vote for returning to IU.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

TO me, it only really works if it is MgTaco... NOT just Taco (other than that is quicker for game thread typing). It's a truer play on his actual name and a life event that us all on the edge of our chairs...... While knowing (probably) every one of us have had a 3am craving and short fuze and poor judgement at one time in our life or another. MgBakp to MgTaco is like god (insert what ever you like) planned this out 19 years ago, for just this moment... :)

If I was he, at that age (or today) I would introduce myself like that and friggin laugh and laugh...

Or MmmmTacoIMG_2987.jpeg.498df530f6e7cf4e9e4e23722f8bcef6.jpeg

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I have to unzip my lips on this, having lived my whole life with a name widely regarded as a woman’s name (it’s a Scandinavian men’s name) this is just another case of ignorance being justified by relying on our own culture. Maybe I should have taken a clue from Johnny Cash?

Shoot a man in Reno?

Edited by Purdue7
  • Haha 1