Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think it's honestly just an inside joke that no one besides them would get lol. 

It stands for Battlestar Galactica Online. Apparently, they are avid gamers.

I'm absolutely not serious about that.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:34 AM, Bowhunter said:

So how does this work out?  do we take Waterford or Brooks, whoever commits first and the other one probably goes somewhere else ?

I've wondered this as well...

Do we really want roster that includes  Watford, Hunter, Anderson, Brooks, Smith, Thompson, Moore, and Forrester?  I know not all of those guys are true three's, but that's 8 scholarships-  That means  you have five scholarships to use on a point, shooter, and post player. 

I would guess we'll only take one of the two, but I've been wrong before.  

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Do we really want roster that includes  Watford, Hunter, Anderson, Brooks, Smith, Thompson, Moore, and Forrester?  I know not all of those guys are true three's, but that's 8 scholarships- but now you have five to use on a point, shooter, and post player. 

I don't see Thompson, Moore, and Forrester all staying together for the long haul. It's the nature of the beast, we'll have transfers. 

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see Thompson, Moore, and Forrester all staying together for the long haul. It's the nature of the beast, we'll have transfers. 

Absolutely agree. In my opinion, Moore will transfer out once he gets recruited over. If Smith is as good as I think he is... he’s going to go pro! I see a similar path taken by OG.

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Do we really want roster that includes  Watford, Hunter, Anderson, Brooks, Smith, Thompson, Moore, and Forrester?  I know not all of those guys are true three's, but that's 8 scholarships- but now you have five to use on a point, shooter, and post player. 

If we can land brooks and Watford, we absolutely take them. Watford was told by Archie they plan on using him like Juwan and obviously, Brooks would play SF. 

According to the 2020 mock draft, Watford is a top 15 pick, so he may or may not go after a year. I think we would still be fine because you'd hope that guys like Justin Smith or Race Thompson would be able to make a large impact by then. 

I don't mind having that these many forwards because some of them can play multiple positions... Watford can play PF/SF, Brooks can play SF/SG, Hunter can play SF/SG, Anderson can play SF/SG, Smith can play PF/SF.

I do think that you can expect 1 or 2 transfers from that list. Archie has mentioned he only plays like 8 or 9 guys, so some are going to transfer simply because they aren't getting any significant minutes. 

5 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Absolutely agree. In my opinion, Moore will transfer out once he gets recruited over. If Smith is as good as I think he is... he’s going to go pro! I see a similar path taken by OG.

I hate speculating on transfers, but I wonder if Moore transfers around Christmas if he isn’t getting much playing time.   That would allow him to be eligible mid season next year. 

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I hate speculating on transfers, but I wonder if Moore transfers around Christmas if he isn’t getting much playing time.   That would allow him to be eligible mid season next year. 

I shouldn’t have really said Moore specifically, but it just appears that if he hasn’t made major strides, he’s the likely candidate.

Edit: Good question! I’m sure that if he isn’t seeing much playing time early, that could be a good indication.

Kids transfer for all sorts of reasons. Homesick, playing time, competition, family....I don't like to speculate either but it seems likely someone will. Roster turnover is part of the deal. I actually expect at least 1 per year anymore. Some guys would rather play 28 minutes at Seton Hall or Marquette or Rhode Island or Oklahoma St vs 9-11 minutes here and I don't really have a problem with that. 

20 hours ago, btownqb said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but what are message boards for.  

Let's take a reasonable scenario where we land a class of TJD, Brooks, Watford, and Carton

Then lose Romeo to the NBA.  

That gives you  four guards- RP, Green, Durham, and Carton

Two post players-  Davis and TJD

Then Watford, Smith, Brooks, Hunter, Demezi, Forrester, Moore, Thompson all fighting for time.  One from this group probably leaves.  

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but what are message boards for.  

Let's take a reasonable scenario where we land a class of TJD, Brooks, Watford, and Carton

Then lose Romeo to the NBA.  

That gives you  four guards- RP, Green, Durham, and Carton

Two post players-  Davis and TJD

Then Watford, Smith, Brooks, Hunter, Demezi, Forrester, Moore, Thompson all fighting for time.  One from this group probably leaves.  

Well to look at your scenario a little deeper... I would include Davis in your transfer group. 

Brooks and Watford would be coming in as FR, so they would be going no where. 

Also Smith (my opinion) isn't going anywhere. 

So, Hunter, Davis, Thompson, Moore, Forrester, Anderson. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well to look at your scenario a little deeper... I would include Davis in your transfer group. 

Brooks and Watford would be coming in as FR, so they would be going no where. 

Also Smith (my opinion) isn't going anywhere. 

So, Hunter, Davis, Thompson, Moore, Forrester, Anderson. 

Davis seems to be a big wild card. I know we had early reports saying he's staying in Bloomington this summer to get back to work. I really hope he does because I think he could be a big piece.

My question is this though. Coming off his injury AND if there was a desire to possibly leave...wouldn't now be the time? Transfer and full rehab injury this upcoming year and have 2 years somewhere else.

Just to reiterate. I don't want him to leave at all....but if I were in his camp now would be the time to bolt given the injury. Or am I looking at this wrong?

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Davis seems to be a big wild card. I know we had early reports saying he's staying in Bloomington this summer to get back to work. I really hope he does because I think he could be a big piece.

My question is this though. Coming off his injury AND if there was a desire to possibly leave...wouldn't now be the time? Transfer and full rehab injury this upcoming year and have 2 years somewhere else.

Just to reiterate. I don't want him to leave at all....but if I were in his camp now would be the time to bolt given the injury. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Well.. you'd have to have a potential landing spot take him with his injury and be willing to help him get through the rehab process as well. I think being 4 months or whatever into that process and working with the IU staff, I don't think he would want to jeopardize his rehab... maybe 6 months from now. I think without the injury now would be the correct time, yes. 

I think Davis redshirting is very interesting.  The only downside is that this team is going to be good and you may want all hands on deck.  But, regarding a redshirt

1. He’s got good size and very good natural strength, but an Achilles injury is serious and takes time to recover.  

2.  He’s struggled with conditioning and his weight as it is, and losing this time on his athleticism is really a hindrance. He should be on the opposite track, being a workout warrior.  Maybe you give him time to fully recover, and have a come to Jesus moment on his weight and huffing and puffing up and down the court.  

3.  His skill set is a tad dated.  If he had some time to work on himself as an athlete, the same would be true about his skill set.  He needs to really improve on his mobility on defense, maybe develop a face up jumper, even a little one, and really work on anticipation and getting quicker to the ball on rebounding.  Of course, modern basketball or not, like an Al Horford, if you can just abuse people with your back to the basket, you don’t ignore that whem you have good matchups.  

4.  If Morgan is healthy, then he and Davis clog the paint together.  Last year, we needed help stretching the floor.  This was actually something Romeo said, i.e., he’s really excited that there will be less congestion near the rim.  Davis and Morgan together would fly in the face of that.  Davis could sit out a year, develop, and then take a Morgan role for the following two years.

5.  I don’t know where he is academically, but he’s been an academic risk in the past, and an extra year may help him get his bearings in the classroom permanently.

5.  We really needed a 40% shooter from three.  Many of us were scouring the market for guards who can shoot.  Well, we got a big man who can square up and knock down three’s with impressive regularity.   I like where this is headed in terms of floor spacing.  Morgan takes over the paint.  Romeo slashes and scores, but if you double him, kick out to Fitzner or work with Morgan who is tough in the paint (and I suspect will shoot better with range; he reportedly looked good in practice in this regard). 

6. If we redshirt Davis, we still have Race, Forrester, and Moore as backup bigs, albeit very young ones, to go with Justin Smith and Evan Fitzner.  There are enough bodies.   Forrester reportedly has a strong motor and Race is physical and rugged.  They will lack experience but on effort alone may be able to help carry some minutes.  

At the end of the day, you may want all weapons you can find in your artillery but Davis could benefit with a redshirt.  I suspect this will come down to his health and conditioning by November 1.  

Archived