2019 MLB Discussion

rico

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That lineup last night (until Baez was scratched due to injury) is the preferred lineup and one I love. If the Cubs could just get healthy. Baez injury, Bryant battling knee.....and of course our daily pitching injuries. 

Yes, I agree on the line-up.  I don't think Baez will be out long.  But we may not have a real closer for some while.

I saw the replay of Kyle's slam, and it was right in his wheelhouse like you said.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll get this out of the way before the final 3-4 weeks get going. The Cardinals suck. No way they should even be in this conversation right now. That is all. 

I don't like either the Cardinals or the Cubs but I would rather see the Cardinals win because of the fans.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't like either the Cardinals or the Cubs but I would rather see the Cardinals win because of the fans.

Get on twitter and follow @bestfansinbaseball if you like racist comments, jean shorts, and tank tops....some of the Cards might be for you. Cardinal fans are the closest to UK fans in the business. 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Seeking6 said:

Get on twitter and follow @bestfansinbaseball if you like racist comments, jean shorts, and tank tops....some of the Cards might be for you. Cardinal fans are the closest to UK fans in the business. 

Ouch. 😂

Been  a fan of the Cardinals since the '70's.  Inherited that love from my father.  That love was cemented with the '82 WS champs, suffered through Don Denkinger's call that likely cost the 85 series, and has been strong ever since.  Like them or not, the Cardinals get a lot more for their salary dollars than most teams and in fact, I saw a survey article a few years ago that ranked them 2nd in major professional sports (behind the hated New England Patriots) in success per salary dollar spent or salary dollar efficiency.  I really struggled with them letting Albert Pujols go, even though even then, I felt it was probably the right call.  St. Louis platooned a couple of players that season that were far far cheaper combined than Pujols would have been and IRRC, they had a better combined stat line than Pujols had that year for the Angels.  Their farm system and drafting record is excellent so they don't play nearly as much in the free agent market as most teams.  When they do, they have a pretty good record there as well (see Goldschmidt this year).

I know a LOT of my fellow IU fans are Cubs fans and for a long time, I had no real animus for the Cubs as a Cardinal fan, despite the rivalry.  I was even somewhat pleased that they finally got the goat off their backs (probably most pleased for poor Steve Bartman).  Unfortunately now, as much of you feel about the Cardinals, us Cardinal fans feel similarly about the Cubs.  That started when Theo Epstein was hired away from the Red Sox and all the dynasty talk started.  That talk reached a fever pitch when the Cubs won in 2016 and whether you realize it or not, plenty of Cub fans are every bit as obnoxious and arrogant as the Cardinal fans I hear Cub fans vilifying.  Jason Heyward made a very public choice of which organization he felt was better and yes, Cardinals fans took it personally,.  Some of them went over the line as ridiculous fans of all teams can do.

The consensus view of most Cardinal fans is that the Cubs organization is intent on buying talent as evidenced by a payroll exceeded only by Boston's and it's hard not to feel some satisfaction seeing my team leading the team that was going to dominate the central for at least the next decade after they won a world series. 

Being about as close to Cincinnati as I am St. Louis, the Reds are my fallback team, although it's really hard to get excited about a team that has been irrelevant for far too long.  I loved the Big Red machine and split my fandom as a kid back in the '70's.  I think Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.  Considering some of the things players have done since Pete bet on baseball (and never bet on his team to lose), it's time to get past the hypocrisy and put Pete in the hall.  But, I digress...

My point here is, we generalize about a lot of fanbases (Purdue, Kentucky, St. Louis, Chicago...) and the truth is, they all have idiots and the bigger the fanbase, the more idiots it will have.  I've watched Purdue and Kentucky fans make absolute fools out of themselves.  I've also seen IU fans make idiots of themselves and I've had a few moments personally where I later felt pretty foolish about.  Without question, I've met both idiot Cardinal and Cub fans.  Probably the only reason we don't really see idiot Reds fans is that they don't really have anything to be stupid about at the moment.  Generalizing about an entire fanbase, as tempting as it is (especially with Purdue and Kentucky) fails to acknowledge that fandom of a certain team or political party says little about the person's character or intelligence even though we naturally assign opinions about character and intelligence when we find out which teams people follow.  Yeah, I think the Cubs suck too.  I'm no better in that regard than you Scrubbies fans.😜.  Maybe we should show each other a little more respect than we do.  Then again, maybe I expect way too much from the human race. :jumprope:

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The consensus view of most Cardinal fans is that the Cubs organization is intent on buying talent as evidenced by a payroll exceeded only by Boston's and it's hard not to feel some satisfaction seeing my team leading the team that was going to dominate the central for at least the next decade after they won a world series. 

This is pretty good article describing the build. Far more trades/drafting good players than "buying talent"....http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17711479/how-theo-epstein-transformed-cubs-roster 

Tough loss for Cubs last night. No margin for error before the game and definitely not now. Russell error to start 9th proved very, very costly. After today's game Cubs head to San Diego for 4 followed by 10 game homestand vs Pirates, Reds, Cards.

Because of the hole we've put ourselves in I'm feeling like Cubs will have to go 11-3 during this stretch...unless Cardinals melt. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is pretty good article describing the build. Far more trades/drafting good players than "buying talent"....http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17711479/how-theo-epstein-transformed-cubs-roster 

Tough loss for Cubs last night. No margin for error before the game and definitely not now. Russell error to start 9th proved very, very costly. After today's game Cubs head to San Diego for 4 followed by 10 game homestand vs Pirates, Reds, Cards.

Because of the hole we've put ourselves in I'm feeling like Cubs will have to go 11-3 during this stretch...unless Cardinals melt. 

Good read on building the Cubs.

As far as the Cubs season this year...I got a bad feeling about this "stumbling" coming down to the finish.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Good read on building the Cubs.

As far as the Cubs season this year...I got a bad feeling about this "stumbling" coming down to the finish.

Been feeling this way since mid-May. We've been in the 5 above to 12 above .500 for 100 days. We'll see what happens. I could see this team getting absolutely hot and absolutely cold. Baez injury is obviously huge. Bryant knee problem. 

11 hours ago, rico said:

And I hear silence from the Cubs faithful.

Stellar outing by Disco today.  Suarez goes yard twice and Lorenzen has a walk-off hit.  Reds win.

No silence here. Traveling quite a bit this week. If you don't hear from me please understand it has nothing to do with being silent because of Cubs poor play. Time to get healthy week for the Cubs. Down 4.5 now. Cubs catch Cards by 9/21.

Archived