2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because of Wrigley? Lol that place is a dump. 

Far from a dump. Don't know if you've been there lately, but with all of the renovations they've done, it's on par with Fenway as one of the cathedrals of baseball.

Even before that it was much better than the multi-purpose mausoleums of the 70s and 80s like Riverfront, Three Rivers, and Busch II

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Far from a dump. Don't know if you've been there lately, but with all of the renovations they've done, it's on par with Fenway as one of the cathedrals of baseball.

Even before that it was much better than the multi-purpose mausoleums of the 70s and 80s like Riverfront, Three Rivers, and Busch II

C'mon man Wrigley is a dump...can't wait to get back there!!!!!!!  To me it is the Mecca of the baseball world and I am a Reds fan.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The irony is there sometimes. He's a good poster (most of the time) but I do laugh when anyone from West Lafayette or a supporter of said program comments on facilities and beauty of a stadium....in any sport.

LOL...look on the bright side.  He hasn't cut on Soldier Field...YET.

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The irony is there sometimes. He's a good poster (most of the time) but I do laugh when anyone from West Lafayette or a supporter of said program comments on facilities and beauty of a stadium....in any sport.

I can be objective when commenting on facilities and stadiums. Lol I’ll admit Ross-Ade is a dump. Hopefully in 2 or 3 years the renovation will spruce it up. Mackey is far from a dump though. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Was there about a month and a half ago and I still contend it’s a dump. Has it gotten better? Absolutely. But still a dump haha. 

Oh and Busch II was awful haha. Busch III is so much better in every way. 

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Was there about a month and a half ago and I still contend it’s a dump. Has it gotten better? Absolutely. But still a dump haha. 

Oh and Busch II was awful haha. Busch III is so much better in every way. 

So I have a question...does Purdue put recognition of their 5 TOTAL (as in all sports...and one if those is in cheerleading and another in golf) NCAA championships in Mackey? Like maybe one in each corner and some tawdry gold plated room the opens up like the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction" where  the vaunted Helms Banner is displayed?

10 hours ago, rico said:

LOL...look on the bright side.  He hasn't cut on Soldier Field...YET.

I'll save him the time. Has to be one of the most poorly executed stadium upgrades ever. Reduced total crowd, hardly any technology/tv screen inside, and getting in/out as a fan sucks. Plus...city of Chicago has a rule on tailgating. 4 hours before only. Must shut it down at kickoff and can only tailgate after for 1 hour believe. People are parked in there like sardines.

Love the Bears but Soldier Field renovations are/were bad.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll save him the time. Has to be one of the most poorly executed stadium upgrades ever. Reduced total crowd, hardly any technology/tv screen inside, and getting in/out as a fan sucks. Plus...city of Chicago has a rule on tailgating. 4 hours before only. Must shut it down at kickoff and can only tailgate after for 1 hour believe. People are parked in there like sardines.

Soldier field looks like a UFO crashed land into old soldier field

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's how I always described it. But, it's the McCaskeys...I expected nothing less...

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Soldier field looks like a UFO crashed land into old soldier field

To put into perspective (and I'll return to baseball) Soldier Field renovations cost was just under $700 Million in 2003. Lucas Oil when finished and opened in 2008 cost $720 Million and can be used for F4's and other events because of retractable roof. One city put lipstick on a national monument the other built brand new at basically the same costs. I love my Bears but the stadium planning stinks.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Do you think they’ll do another round of upgrades before too long or not for awhile?

After a lengthy rain delay yesterday, the Yankees were blanked by the Rangers 7 to zip! This loss ended their 220 game streak of not scoring any runs, the second most in MLB history! Tanaka pitched 6 strong innings before the relief crew coughed up the runs.

IMO, the Astros are the odds on favorite to win the WS with their formidable pitching staff. I'm of the mind set that good pitching stops good hitting. Cashman did not make any moves to bolster the pitching and it may come back to bite 'em.

36 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you think they’ll do another round of upgrades before too long or not for awhile?

Not anytime soon. City is broke, state is broke and would require McCaskey's to open up their personal checkbook....and that ain't going to happen. People can say what they want about Ricketts/Cubs but they wrote the $300 Million check from personal money for Wrigley upgrades in the ballpark and surrounding area.

26 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

After a lengthy rain delay yesterday, the Yankees were blanked by the Rangers 7 to zip! This loss ended their 220 game streak of not scoring any runs, the second most in MLB history! Tanaka pitched 6 strong innings before the relief crew coughed up the runs.

IMO, the Astros are the odds on favorite to win the WS with their formidable pitching staff. I'm of the mind set that good pitching stops good hitting. Cashman did not make any moves to bolster the pitching and it may come back to bite 'em.

I'll agree all day on good pitching beating good hitting...but, if the Yankees can snag the top seed and not only get the wildcard winner, and believe me, I'd much rather play Tampa Bay, Cleveland or the As than the Twinks (if Boston would somehow get in, then all bets are off), but home field. 

And I think Yankee Stadium is one of the all time great home field advantages.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not anytime soon. City is broke, state is broke and would require McCaskey's to open up their personal checkbook....and that ain't going to happen. People can say what they want about Ricketts/Cubs but they wrote the $300 Million check from personal money for Wrigley upgrades in the ballpark and surrounding area.

If only Muggs Halas hadn't passed away early...

On 9/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, rico said:

Don't you have a Purdue or St. Louis website to visit?  Asking for a friend.

I'm gonna defend my fellow Cardinal fan even though I reserve the right to trash his beloved Toiletmakers. 

As a concession, I promise to root for the Reds when they play the Scrubbies. 😜

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Schwarber at 33 and 77. To me the 40 home runs should happen...100 rbi will be tough. Has there ever been a guy who hit 40/100 more underappreciated in recent memory? I'm sure there's someone I'm missing. 

Right now Suarez has 40 HR and 90 RBI and never gets any credit but that happens when you play on a bad team.

Archived