2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Cubs offense is highly dependent on HR's which account essentially for 1/2 of their runs. They don't manufacture many runs by putting the ball in play like the Nationals showed they can do this week-end.

That is pretty much everyone in baseball

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For any Cub fans here, I’m curious to hear what your thoughts are on my Kyle Schwarber comparison. To me, he’s basically Adam Dunn. Low average, a bunch of homers, and poor defense. Is that a fair comparison and is that what you expected when he came into the league? 

Close....but the poor defense isn't fair in my opinion. He's actually better than most believe. Sure a couple errors make sportscenter but he was 1 assist off leading league last year. Has the same as Heyward does this year. To me when people cite his poor defense they aren't watching week in and out. Makes the normal catches and is very, very accurate as a thrower (no doubt because of catching background).

The average to me is two fold. First....part of today's game. Second part though is on him....one of the best hitters I've watched at collegiate level, he took the league by storm in 15...phenomenal to get ready for World Series in 16 and bat like .430 but ever since he's basically been a .240 guy at best. Just can't explain why. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Close....but the poor defense isn't fair in my opinion. He's actually better than most believe. Sure a couple errors make sportscenter but he was 1 assist off leading league last year. Has the same as Heyward does this year. To me when people cite his poor defense they aren't watching week in and out. Makes the normal catches and is very, very accurate as a thrower (no doubt because of catching background).

The average to me is two fold. First....part of today's game. Second part though is on him....one of the best hitters I've watched at collegiate level, he took the league by storm in 15...phenomenal to get ready for World Series in 16 and bat like .430 but ever since he's basically been a .240 guy at best. Just can't explain why. 

Do you think he’ll stay with Cubs long-term or could you see them trading him to an AL team to be a DH down the road? 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you think he’ll stay with Cubs long-term or could you see them trading him to an AL team to be a DH down the road? 

Theo has had about 3 chances to trade him and he hasn't so that says one thing. However depending on next 30-45 days I'll say nothing is off the table for any Cub not named Javy, Bryant and probably Rizzo. We'll see on the latter. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another useless stat about the reds is that they are now 21-37 in day games and also have the league leading 27 1 run losses.

See I don't think that stat is useless and it's something that Maddon is been banging on for a few years. More home Cubs night games because the days take a toll. The are adding far more next year but when I see a stat like that...16 under .500 I don't think it's a coincidence. The 27 1 run losses is other issues but the day game stuff is one I believe.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

See I don't think that stat is useless and it's something that Maddon is been banging on for a few years. More home Cubs night games because the days take a toll. The are adding far more next year but when I see a stat like that...16 under .500 I don't think it's a coincidence. The 27 1 run losses is other issues but the day game stuff is one I believe.

Useless might not have been the right word but to me it is just a coincidence that there day game record is what it is.  Just like the record in 1 run games because the next year you might have the exact opposite happen where you are good in one run games.  I understand back in the day when the Cubs played all of their home games in the day having an effect on a team.  Especially the heat in the summer can really have an effect on your body and make sit harder to play day after day.  When the Reds only play maybe two a week then I don't see much correlation to why they struggle in day games.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Useless might not have been the right word but to me it is just a coincidence that there day game record is what it is.  Just like the record in 1 run games because the next year you might have the exact opposite happen where you are good in one run games.  I understand back in the day when the Cubs played all of their home games in the day having an effect on a team.  Especially the heat in the summer can really have an effect on your body and make sit harder to play day after day.  When the Reds only play maybe two a week then I don't see much correlation to why they struggle in day games.

Baseball guys are such creatures of habit. I think most would be surprised what those day games do to people. Maddon believes every game in the world should start at 7:05...especially during the weekdays. Weekends are different but of course Cubs are different because of city, aldermen who control areas around Wrigley and plenty other non baseball factors that go into how many games they'll allow Cubs to have at night. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Baseball guys are such creatures of habit. I think most would be surprised what those day games do to people. Maddon believes every game in the world should start at 7:05...especially during the weekdays. Weekends are different but of course Cubs are different because of city, aldermen who control areas around Wrigley and plenty other non baseball factors that go into how many games they'll allow Cubs to have at night. 

Maybe the guys stay out to late before a day game

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe the guys stay out to late before a day game

Back in the day yes. This group is pretty family or married guys. Not many Mark Grace's in the clubhouse....but for 220 starts guys are getting to clubhouse by 9 or 930 every day. Takes a toll. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Back in the day yes. This group is pretty family or married guys. Not many Mark Grace's in the clubhouse....but for 220 starts guys are getting to clubhouse by 9 or 930 every day. Takes a toll. 

To me I would rather play the game sin the day then you will have your nights free for your family.  I know just no for myself who just has a regular job I like working days over afternoons or nights.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me I would rather play the game sin the day then you will have your nights free for your family.  I know just no for myself who just has a regular job I like working days over afternoons or nights.

I would prefer day games myself...but that TV thing comes into play during the week.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Turn your sarcasm meter on Scott.  As a Reds fan, I am pretending this past weekend never happened.  

After all these years, do you not understand the coffee emoji?

Was not paying attention but yes it would be great to forget this past weekend.

Archived