2019 MLB Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cardinals are on pace for their worst May in over 100 years. Unless they win today and tomorrow, they will have gone the entire month without back to back wins. Now sit at 7-18 in the month of May. 

Hopefully it lasts for the next 3 games. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cardinals are on pace for their worst May in over 100 years. Unless they win today and tomorrow, they will have gone the entire month without back to back wins. Now sit at 7-18 in the month of May. 

So very, very sorry.......NOT  LOL

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

As for the child who was hit in the head with the ball, my prayers out to here and her family.  My son who is 19 does not want to sit close when we go to the Reds game and last year he wanted to sit out in the sun deck in right field.

There's big controversy brewing in Houston over extending the protective netting further down the foul lines. Currently it runs to about the end of the dugouts.

I was at a game in Washington DC a couple of years ago, and they had already extended the netting to about half way down the line. At first, I thought it might take away from the experience (we were sitting down the left field line, maybe 50 feet past third in row 20 something) but when the game started, I barely noticed the netting. 

They say in the days before they even had backstops, it was nothing for 2 or 3 patrons a game to get carted off after being cold-cocked by a foul ball...but this is the 21st century. I say put up the nets.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's big controversy brewing in Houston over extending the protective netting further down the foul lines. Currently it runs to about the end of the dugouts.

I was at a game in Washington DC a couple of years ago, and they had already extended the netting to about half way down the line. At first, I thought it might take away from the experience (we were sitting down the left field line, maybe 50 feet past third in row 20 something) but when the game started, I barely noticed the netting. 

They say in the days before they even had backstops, it was nothing for 2 or 3 patrons a game to get carted off after being cold-cocked by a foul ball...but this is the 21st century. I say put up the nets.

I've been fortunate enough to sit pretty close at Wrigley a few times. The netting doesn't cause problems at all. Cubs extended their netting to end of dugouts and honestly they probably could take it all the way down the lines. It's impossible to expect every fan to follow every pitch of each at bat to ensure they don't get hit. Line balls down the line are just as dangerous being 50 yards away instead of next to dugout. 

Jed Hoyer said on the Score this morning if he had his way nets all the way down the lines. He said some of our players have a hard enough time reacting to those balls...how could we expect fans to do the same?

In yesterdays Reds/Pirates game Suarez was hit in the hand by a pitch and some thinks it was retaliation  for how Dietrich has reacted to his homeruns.  I am disappointed in Raesil Iglesias for not plunking one of the Pirates batters the next inning.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In yesterdays Reds/Pirates game Suarez was hit in the hand by a pitch and some thinks it was retaliation  for how Dietrich has reacted to his homeruns.  I am disappointed in Raesil Iglesias for not plunking one of the Pirates batters the next inning.

Wait until Archer takes the mound against the Reds...me thinks he gets beaned.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Raesil would have been suspended.  I am disappointed in Bell for not having some scrub pitching that no one cares if he got suspended or not.

Cubs 0-8 RISP last night. Cubs I believe are now 0-25 with RISP in last 3 games. That's what caused us to lose the game. But another umpire with a strike zone that has all of baseball scratching their head this morning. Laz Diaz changed the entire game in the 10th when he blew that call. Instead of 2 out guy on 2nd it was guys on 1st/2nd and 1 out. 

Yes. The Cubs hitters w/RISP sucked. I get it. But another game where an umpire directly impacted the game with blown call behind the plate. Electronic strike zone here we come. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs 0-8 RISP last night. Cubs I believe are now 0-25 with RISP in last 3 games. That's what caused us to lose the game. But another umpire with a strike zone that has all of baseball scratching their head this morning. Laz Diaz changed the entire game in the 10th when he blew that call. Instead of 2 out guy on 2nd it was guys on 1st/2nd and 1 out. 

Yes. The Cubs hitters w/RISP sucked. I get it. But another game where an umpire directly impacted the game with blown call behind the plate. Electronic strike zone here we come. 

I seen Joe was pretty upset.  

Just now, rico said:

I seen Joe was pretty upset.  

As he should be and everyone should be. This was our I believe 4th or 5th game where a strike zone was just so bad. I don't want horrendous strike zones to be our new normal. Like I said Cubs shot themselves in the foot all night and gave this one away but it's just getting taxing to watch an ump do this. Here's the worst part. He'll come out today and apologize probably to Joe privately and move along. Who cares about an apology? Get it right when it happens. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As he should be and everyone should be. This was our I believe 4th or 5th game where a strike zone was just so bad. I don't want horrendous strike zones to be our new normal. Like I said Cubs shot themselves in the foot all night and gave this one away but it's just getting taxing to watch an ump do this. Here's the worst part. He'll come out today and apologize probably to Joe privately and move along. Who cares about an apology? Get it right when it happens. 

From NBC...

"It wasn't even a borderline pitch; it was a strike," Maddon said. "That's the kind of stuff you want to see something done about and I'm still not advocating an electronic strike zone, I'm just advocating let's go, let's go. You cannot miss that pitch in that situation."

Just now, 5fouls said:

This National League Central race has the chance to be one for the ages.

I'm trying to figure out how to feel about things right now. Cubs are a pathetic 6-10 over their last 16 and still lead the division. Top to bottom I still think it's the toughest in baseball. 

Funny thing is during the Cubs/Astros game the other night they showed a stat where the Astros have 100 games left and only 22 vs teams who have records at .500 or above. WTF is that?

1 minute ago, rico said:

From NBC...

"It wasn't even a borderline pitch; it was a strike," Maddon said. "That's the kind of stuff you want to see something done about and I'm still not advocating an electronic strike zone, I'm just advocating let's go, let's go. You cannot miss that pitch in that situation."

Joe handled it far better than me. He's a pro and he understands mistakes happen but if something happens in today's game with pitches again....he's getting run. Tough week so far. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm trying to figure out how to feel about things right now. Cubs are a pathetic 6-10 over their last 16 and still lead the division. Top to bottom I still think it's the toughest in baseball. 

Funny thing is during the Cubs/Astros game the other night they showed a stat where the Astros have 100 games left and only 22 vs teams who have records at .500 or above. WTF is that?

I don't know what to think about the Cubs right now.  Too many power hitters?  I dunno.  It is a scary line-up they have, but the RISP thing seems to constantly bite them in the arsz.

As far as Houston, I have no idea about their schedule.  But I would have to assume that a majority of their remaining games are against divisional foes?  Seems that the rest of the division is hovering around .500.  Dunno about that either.

David Bell has to be one of the dumbest managers I have ever seen.  I think he thinks he is reinventing the game and he wants everyone to know how smart he is.  In today's game he to Gray out after 5 innings and 85 pitches to bring Garrett in. He then only let Garret pitched an inning then brought Lorenzen to pitch to 3 batters then took him out to bring in another right handed pitcher to pitch to a right hander.  They did a double switch and put Lorenzen into left field and brought in Hernandez in the 7th inning. Then in the 8th inning with two on and two out they did another double switch and brought in Ingelesias and he walked the next guy to lad the bases.  With the bases loaded and a right handed batter they had the shift on and the second baseman was pretty close the second base and the batter hit a easy ground ball where the second baseman should be playing but it was a two run single to put them up 4-1

On the other hand the Washington manager has kept in Scherzer in and it is in the 8th inning and Scherzer has pitched 120 pitches.  With two outs in the 8th with a guy on second the Washington manager came out and Scherzer told him he is not coming out of the game and all he did was to strikeout Votto for his 15th Strikeout of the game.

Archived