2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

Frank Tananna went from throwing 97 then after arm surgery threw all junk and was very successful.  Jamie Moyer was another won that pitched and was not just a thrower.

Good calls.  Spot on.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Adding Wakefield, Dickey and every other knuckleballer to this list. 

Knuckleballers are on a planet of their own. I faced a guy one time that threw a good one, and it's something to see.

I remember Whitey Herzog use to hold George Hendrick out when the Cards faced Niekro (either one) because he said it screwed up Hendrick's swing for 2 weeks.

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Knuckleballers are on a planet of their own. I faced a guy one time that threw a good one, and it's something to see.

I remember Whitey Herzog use to hold George Hendrick out when the Cards faced Niekro (either one) because he said it screwed up Hendrick's swing for 2 weeks.

Somebody once said "Hitting a Neikro knuckleball is like eating soup with a fork."

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And the Cubs hit 3...and lose.

Geez, is Darvish ever going to find his stride?

I am starting to think Yu is an enigma.  Dang your team gives you a 4 run lead and you promptly give it back.  

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And the Cubs hit 3...and lose.

Geez, is Darvish ever going to find his stride?

Tough one. On one hand he gave up the exact same numbers as Lester did last week (4 runs/6 innings) vs Rockies but this one was at Coors Field. On the other hand giving up a 4 run lead is certainly disheartening/frustrating. Darvish has been pitching much better but eventually we need that to translate to wins.

Certainly a downside to free agent signings. We have $250M in Darvish and Heyward and returns have been let's say not what we expected but pretty much forced to play them.

9 hours ago, rico said:

Phillies and D-Backs set a record...13 HRs in a game.

Sounds like one of the hidden stadiums in one of the old EA Triple Play games ('98 or '99 I think).  It was a rendition of what a dome would look like in space/on the moon.  You could bunt the ball into the outfield and if you timed a power swing just right, you could hit 2500 ft home runs. 

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one. On one hand he gave up the exact same numbers as Lester did last week (4 runs/6 innings) vs Rockies but this one was at Coors Field. On the other hand giving up a 4 run lead is certainly disheartening/frustrating. Darvish has been pitching much better but eventually we need that to translate to wins.

Certainly a downside to free agent signings. We have $250M in Darvish and Heyward and returns have been let's say not what we expected but pretty much forced to play them.

Another loss to the Rockies. This is starting to remind me of last year. Hot-cold-hot-cold collapse at the end, play a wildcard game, and then see you next summer, boys.

Not even giving up (having been a Cub fan since 66, are you kidding?) but with their talent, it is disheartening. 

I do hope when Kimbrel gets activated, Brach is the casualty...he's been terrible.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Another loss to the Rockies. This is starting to remind me of last year. Hot-cold-hot-cold collapse at the end, play a wildcard game, and then see you next summer, boys.

Not even giving up (having been a Cub fan since 66, are you kidding?) but with their talent, it is disheartening. 

I do hope when Kimbrel gets activated, Brach is the casualty...he's been terrible.

On a group text right now with my friends. Brach this year. 28 hits, 22 walks in 25 innings. He can be gone today. I don't need to wait for Kimbrel. I think I posted on here last week this week has been a concern to me. We never play well in Colorado or LA. Right now I'd take 3-4 in a heartbeat. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

On a group text right now with my friends. Brach this year. 28 hits, 22 walks in 25 innings. He can be gone today. I don't need to wait for Kimbrel. I think I posted on here last week this week has been a concern to me. We never play well in Colorado or LA. Right now I'd take 3-4 in a heartbeat. 

They got to have somebody better than him?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

They got to have somebody better than him?

You would hope/think. Pretty strong rumors that Theo is looking to trade for Will Smith or Tony Watson. Both are lefty relievers for Giants and having really, really good seasons. This is the best time to do it because before the Kimbrel trade teams could use that as leverage and try to get more in return. Now (and Theo did it be design) he has Kimbrel taken care of he can call teams like the Giants and make a trade without having to give up the farm. Something will happen soon. I'd say next 7-10 days tops. 

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You would hope/think. Pretty strong rumors that Theo is looking to trade for Will Smith or Tony Watson. Both are lefty relievers for Giants and having really, really good seasons. This is the best time to do it because before the Kimbrel trade teams could use that as leverage and try to get more in return. Now (and Theo did it be design) he has Kimbrel taken care of he can call teams like the Giants and make a trade without having to give up the farm. Something will happen soon. I'd say next 7-10 days tops. 

The question is...What do the Cubs have for trade chips?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It's something I talk with my friends about all the time. This hot/cold part to this team that you mentioned is just maddening. Bullpen gets beat up on (rightfully so) but our offense scored 1 run last night when it counted. 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The question is...What do the Cubs have for trade chips?

Right now if I were to guess the following. Ian Happ (AAA right now), Russell, Schwarber, Heyward (Giants have long been interested in him), maybe even Almora. Our problem is we have about 4-5 guys that we want to keep around....but in order to improve our pen I believe one of these guys will have to be moved to make deal work. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's something I talk with my friends about all the time. This hot/cold part to this team that you mentioned is just maddening. Bullpen gets beat up on (rightfully so) but our offense scored 1 run last night when it counted. 

Goes back to your point about Dexter Fowler (or any legitimate lead-off guy) and the ability to create runs.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Right now if I were to guess the following. Ian Happ (AAA right now), Russell, Schwarber, Heyward (Giants have long been interested in him), maybe even Almora. Our problem is we have about 4-5 guys that we want to keep around....but in order to improve our pen I believe one of these guys will have to be moved to make deal work. 

Russell would be my guess...but if you can ship Heyward, do it.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Russell would be my guess...but if you can ship Heyward, do it.

Bote deserves to play so if we dealt Russell he would be in line for more starts until Zobrist situation is resolved. Problem with that though is we need to give Baez a rest every once in awhile and dealing Russell means no shortstop for those days. It's a mess on figuring out best way to make this puzzle work. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Happ, yeah...not sure he would be enough for either though. Struggling, average wise, in AAA, but has the power numbers and is versatile. 

Russell, sure, but again, not sure he alone would be enough considering the baggage.

Schwarber? No way, but his IU roots probably expose my bias

Heywood? He contributes Gold Glove defense, and has hit in spurts this year, but would the Giants take on that contract? I'm sure they'd ask the Cubs to pay some of it, and with the Rickett's guarding the wallet,  I think Theo would have a tough sell.

Almora? Boy  with everything he brings, that would be tough for me to swallow.  Only 25 and his defense and offensive potential would be tough.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Happ, yeah...not sure he would be enough for either though. Struggling, average wise, in AAA, but has the power numbers and is versatile. 

Russell, sure, but again, not sure he alone would be enough considering the baggage.

Schwarber? No way, but his IU roots probably expose my bias

Heywood? He contributes Gold Glove defense, and has hit in spurts this year, but would the Giants take on that contract? I'm sure they'd ask the Cubs to pay some of it, and with the Rickett's guarding the wallet,  I think Theo would have a tough sell.

Almora? Boy  with everything he brings, that would be tough for me to swallow.  Only 25 and his defense and offensive potential would make that difficult to swallow as well.

Agree on every scenario you describe. I don't want to part with any of them honestly because of all the things you mentioned but it's going to take someone from this group, right? Unless you can convince a team that Montgomery or Chatwood is a starter again. Honestly no clue what to do but I know as we sit today. We're a playoff team...maybe a NLCS team... but not much more.

Archived