2019 MLB Discussion

rico

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think they’re looking for you to feel sorry for them. Once you taste success, you want more of it. Cubs have a heck of a core right now and I’m guessing their fans want to capitalize and hopefully win more championships. They have a good team who should be better than their record indicates. 

Correct. I'll say the same thing as I mentioned about 10x in this thread. We (as Cubs and Bears fans) don't want another run like the Bears had in the 80's where we had the most dominant defense ever in football and 1 of the top 2-3 teams going for 5 years and 1 title to show for it. Honestly if the Cubs end up with only 1 title during Theo's time I'll of course be happy but somewhat disappointed. As I'm sure Colts fan were during Peyton's years here. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep the obnoxious fan one. I loved that rant haha. 

Good old Marty. Look up the words inferiority complex and insecure in the dictionary and his grill is front and center. At the time he made his little rant it certainly had nothing to do with the Reds going on 13+ years of not making playoffs and Cubs winning the division in 2007 and on their way to winning the division again in 2008 when he did this.

Every fan base has some obnoxious fans.

I was sitting about 8 rows behind the Cardinal's dugout at a September game in 1982. The Cards were fighting for the NL East lead. A tight game with the Pirates (I think) and Darryl Porter struck out with the bases loaded in the 8th inning. As he's walking back to the dugout, this fat guy in a Cardinal's jersey, beer in each hand jumps up and yells, "Go back to Kansas City you alcoholic!" Pure class.

I think both Brennamans have a little case of the RA over Thom's time as a Cubs broadcaster. I don't think it was a pleasant egress.

And Marty was probably a little raw over the fact that when the Cubs come to town, there are more Cub fans than Reds fans in TGAB.

That and Kyle Farnsworth body slamming Paul Wilson 😁

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Good old Marty. Look up the words inferiority complex and insecure in the dictionary and his grill is front and center. At the time he made his little rant it certainly had nothing to do with the Reds going on 13+ years of not making playoffs and Cubs winning the division in 2007 and on their way to winning the division again in 2008 when he did this.

Holy cow!

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Every fan base has some obnoxious fans.

I was sitting about 8 rows behind the Cardinal's dugout at a September game in 1982. The Cards were fighting for the NL East lead. A tight game with the Pirates (I think) and Darryl Porter struck out with the bases loaded in the 8th inning. As he's walking back to the dugout, this fat guy in a Cardinal's jersey, beer in each hand jumps up and yells, "Go back to Kansas City you alcoholic!" Pure class.

I think both Brennamans have a little case of the RA over Thom's time as a Cubs broadcaster. I don't think it was a pleasant egress.

And Marty was probably a little raw over the fact that when the Cubs come to town, there are more Cub fans than Reds fans in TGAB.

That and Kyle Farnsworth body slamming Paul Wilson 😁

Marty has had run ins with Pirates and Cardinals (Tony LaRussa) too. That perch of his is very comfy. Regarding Thom I always thought it came down to he wanted to do Cubs and NFL games while Cubs wanted him to do only Cubs games. Thought it was just a business thing.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Marty has had run ins with Pirates and Cardinals (Tony LaRussa) too. That perch of his is very comfy. Regarding Thom I always thought it came down to he wanted to do Cubs and NFL games while Cubs wanted him to do only Cubs games. Thought it was just a business thing.

Not sure, but Thom has had his own crybaby outburst about the Cubs...

"Enough Already!"

The next night Cub fans exacted their revenge...

Go Cubs Go!

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure, but Thom has had his own crybaby outburst about the Cubs...

"Enough Already!"

The next night Cub fans exacted their revenge...

Go Cubs Go!

Those are always classics! Trust me. I know what our fans are like. I actually despise a good portion of them...but if you don't want us in your house. Buy your own tickets. Brewers sure tried to keep us out and it actually only made things worse for them. More Cubs fans showed up last year. 

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Correct. I'll say the same thing as I mentioned about 10x in this thread. We (as Cubs and Bears fans) don't want another run like the Bears had in the 80's where we had the most dominant defense ever in football and 1 of the top 2-3 teams going for 5 years and 1 title to show for it. Honestly if the Cubs end up with only 1 title during Theo's time I'll of course be happy but somewhat disappointed. As I'm sure Colts fan were during Peyton's years here. 

Not real disappointed at all since we went to 2 Super Bowls and had the winningest decade ever in the NFL

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not real disappointed at all since we went to 2 Super Bowls and had the winningest decade ever in the NFL

Different strokes I guess. If I have the best team for a decade and walk away with only 1 title. I'm a tad ticked. Like I said though...different strokes. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Those are always classics! Trust me. I know what our fans are like. I actually despise a good portion of them...but if you don't want us in your house. Buy your own tickets. Brewers sure tried to keep us out and it actually only made things worse for them. More Cubs fans showed up last year. 

A dear friend of mine goes to Cincy to see his beloved Cubbies play.  The tickets are readily available.

As far as Marty and Thom...something ain't right with those two.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Different strokes I guess. If I have the best team for a decade and walk away with only 1 title. I'm a tad ticked. Like I said though...different strokes. 

As a Colts fan I was pissed and still am.

Just now, rico said:

As a Colts fan I was pissed and still am.

I'm a Bears fan but cheer for the Colts hard. Still frustrated too. Peyton and the Colts were so darn dominant....in the toughest sport to be dominating in and 1 title? Minimally 3 during that run. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

A dear friend of mine goes to Cincy to see his beloved Cubbies play.  The tickets are readily available.

As far as Marty and Thom...something ain't right with those two.

Headed over to Cincy at end of month for a game or two. It's cheaper for me (and sometimes more fun) and much much easier to go over there for games. Tickets are plentiful, walk from hotel to park and it's not so darn expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Bears fan but cheer for the Colts hard. Still frustrated too. Peyton and the Colts were so darn dominant....in the toughest sport to be dominating in and 1 title? Minimally 3 during that run. 

I am the opposite.  I follow the Bears closely.  Both teams had their windows and failed miserably.  I understand what is going on with the Cubs.  Their window is there...better do something with it.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Headed over to Cincy at end of month for a game or two. It's cheaper for me (and sometimes more fun) and much much easier to go over there for games. Tickets are plentiful, walk from hotel to park and it's not so darn expensive. 

Pretty much what my buddy says.  

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I am the opposite.  I follow the Bears closely.  Both teams had their windows and failed miserably.  I understand what is going on with the Cubs.  Their window is there...better do something with it.

Took me years to get over Bears as well as getting over how bad Ditka screwed that locker room up. Oh well. I should probably get back on baseball. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It is not that easy to win the Super Bowl unless you are New England and ask Dan Marino or Jim Kelly who never won the Super bowl.  Yes I would have loved a few more championships as a Colts fan but the point is that it comes off as entitled if you are complaining about this kind of stuff

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not that easy to win the Super Bowl unless you are New England and ask Dan Marino or Jim Kelly who never won the Super bowl.  Yes I would have loved a few more championships as a Colts fan but the point is that it comes off as entitled if you are complaining about this kind of stuff

Meh

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep, as I said, every fandom has their share of knuckleheads.

I've been to more than a few stadiums around the US, and always wear at least a Cub hat whether they're playing in the game or not. 99% good times and good fans at most ballparks. Friendly banter, and that's about it.

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I feel like in the Central, the only team who does a good job of not letting the cub fans take over is STL. They have a good number of fans but are still significantly outnumbered. Same as when the Cards go to Wrigley. Obviously it’s mostly blue but there’s plenty of red too. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, as I said, every fandom has their share of knuckleheads.

I've been to more than a few stadiums around the US, and always wear at least a Cub hat whether they're playing in the game or not. 99% good times and good fans at most ballparks. Friendly banter, and that's about it.

Ironically and oddly the only stadium I've been at (lucky enough to visit quite a few) where there's been trouble is actually at Wrigley arguing with other Cubs fans. Haha.

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I feel like in the Central, the only team who does a good job of not letting the cub fans take over is STL. They have a good number of fans but are still significantly outnumbered. Same as when the Cards go to Wrigley. Obviously it’s mostly blue but there’s plenty of red too. 

Yep. I know from experience when Cards come to town we usually find one series to sell our tickets. Hopefully it's Cubs fans that buy them but if Cardinal fans so be it. If someone wants to spend $200 for a $42 seat have at it. We usually make 1/3 of our season ticket cost (per seat)back in one series. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ironically and oddly the only stadium I've been at (lucky enough to visit quite a few) where there's been trouble is actually at Wrigley arguing with other Cubs fans. Haha.

Unfortunately not surprising.

Not happy with Fox Sports Indiana because they are the only station I get that carries the Reds games and yesterday and today they are not showing the Reds.  they are showing the state baseball championships instead because they were rained out over the weekend.  Also over the Weekend they showed a Fever game instead of the Reds and was not happy with that.

Archived