2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rico said:

Hey Scott, here you go...

Actually I came here to comment on this very thing because I just saw this article.  To me no quality  free agent starting pitchers won't sign with the Reds because of how Bell manages starters.  Also Tanner Roark a few weeks ago was complaining about the exact same thing and can't stand all of these quick hooks from managers.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I will say this.  Wandy Peralta was not the right choice to bring in from the bullpen.  Mast night, or any night.  

What is bad was Peralta went to the DL after that game so he might have been injured but they put him in anyways.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought this was an interesting tweet this morning. 

As NCAA College World Series gets underway today, @BNightengale and I have stat for you: At least nine college baseball coaches are making $1 million or more, while at least 11 MLB managers are making $1 million or less

That's insane.

Looks like the rich gets richer with the Yankees picking up Edwin Encarcion from the Mariners.  In baseball it is hard to be a fan of a small market team when you see a team like the Yankees can go out a get whoever they want and whenever they want without worrying about money.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like the rich gets richer with the Yankees picking up Edwin Encarcion from the Mariners.  In baseball it is hard to be a fan of a small market team when you see a team like the Yankees can go out a get whoever they want and whenever they want without worrying about money.

I'll admit it's hard to be a fan of the Reds, but there are small market teams that are having very successful years.  Tampa, Minnesota, Milwaukee, etc.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'll admit it's hard to be a fan of the Reds, but there are small market teams that are having very successful years.  Tampa, Minnesota, Milwaukee, etc.

Totally agree and a lot of the reds problems ae the fault of Walt Jocketty because he did not get anything for Chapman,  Cueto and Bruce.

Reds probably has another starter upset with Bell because he took Gray out after 5 innings and 90 pitches with the Reds up 8-3.  Bell is an absolute moron and hopefully not managing the reds next year.  I doubt that they will doing anything with him after a year and his dad is in the front office.

Cubs lost another close one and wasted another really strong starting pitching effort by Quintana. Few boneheaded plays cost us this one. Just not sure what I see with this team. I think someone mentioned last week...hot/cold/hot/cold and boom knocked out of playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs lost another close one and wasted another really strong starting pitching effort by Quintana. Few boneheaded plays cost us this one. Just not sure what I see with this team. I think someone mentioned last week...hot/cold/hot/cold and boom knocked out of playoffs. 

Baez bat lead-off?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Baez bat lead-off?

I wish Maddon would pick somebody and stick with them. One thing I don't agree with him on is the constant lineup shuffling on both the batting order and in the field. You can tweak the lineup to get guys rest or take advantage of match ups, or whatever. But I think he tinkers with it too much.

In a perfect Cubs world, Albert Almora would bust out and be the leadoff guy, but he hasn't been consistent enough.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wish Maddon would pick somebody and stick with them. One thing I don't agree with him on is the constant lineup shuffling on both the batting order and in the field. You can tweak the lineup to get guys rest or take advantage of match ups, or whatever. But I think he tinkers with it too much.

In a perfect Cubs world, Albert Almora would bust out and be the leadoff guy, but he hasn't been consistent enough.

Most of my Cub buddies say the same exact thing.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That's the thing. If Almora would deliver the job would have been his. He hasn't so it forces Joe to try things and honestly our front office to get guys like CarGo. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. If Almora would deliver the job would have been his. He hasn't so it forces Joe to try things and honestly our front office to get guys like CarGo. 

The Cargo signing actually left me scratching my head.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If Schwarber is the primary lead-off guy, there will be games like last night where he sits against a tough lefty starter.  

I think Schwarber is his guy for 4 out of 5 games.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If Schwarber is the primary lead-off guy, there will be games like last night where he sits against a tough lefty starter.  

I think Schwarber is his guy for 4 out of 5 games.

I guess...looked up some stats on baseball-reference.com and this is what I see...

7 players have hit leadoff for the Cubs this year (Schwarber (29), Zobrist (14), Descalso (11), Almora (9), Heyward (6), Rizzo (1), and Baez (1).

Of these only Zobrist (.385) and Schwarber (.217) are north of the Mendoza line leading off the game. And they're the only 2 with a higher OBP than .300 (Rizzo walked in his leadoff appearance, so he's at 1.000).

So, I guess having Kyle there isn't as bad as I thought (but still isn't what I'd call good) and we miss Zobrist more than I thought. I need to stop thinking.

One other uh, ponderance...9 games for Almora is low. Put him in there for a month and see if he can get in a groove. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I guess...looked up some stats on baseball-reference.com and this is what I see...

7 players have hit leadoff for the Cubs this year (Schwarber (29), Zobrist (14), Descalso (11), Almora (9), Heyward (6), Rizzo (1), and Baez (1).

Of these only Zobrist (.385) and Schwarber (.217) are north of the Mendoza line leading off the game. And they're the only 2 with a higher OBP than .300 (Rizzo walked in his leadoff appearance, so he's at 1.000).

So, I guess having Kyle there isn't as bad as I thought (but still isn't what I'd call good) and we miss Zobrist more than I thought. I need to stop thinking.

One other uh, ponderance...9 games for Almora is low. Put him in there for a month and see if he can get in a groove. 

Completely agree on Almora....as far as the OBP, the "experts" say a good one is .370.

4 hours ago, rico said:

The Cargo signing actually left me scratching my head.

Cubs are 12-12 in 1 run games. CarGo signing was mainly because of Zobrist situation where Theo knows he needs a veteran who can make one play or sac fly or whatever during a tight game to help the team win. Ever since our long stretch of winning we've been in 7-11 games above .500 for weeks now. Have some very winnable series coming up...hopefully we can get on a run. 

Archived