2019 MLB Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree on every scenario you describe. I don't want to part with any of them honestly because of all the things you mentioned but it's going to take someone from this group, right? Unless you can convince a team that Montgomery or Chatwood is a starter again. Honestly no clue what to do but I know as we sit today. We're a playoff team...maybe a NLCS team... but not much more.

Let me ask you this...aside from the relievers would the Cubs be interested in Madison Bumgarner?  I imagine he is on the market as well.  If the Cubs give up something major...I want something major in return.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Happ, yeah...not sure he would be enough for either though. Struggling, average wise, in AAA, but has the power numbers and is versatile. 

Russell, sure, but again, not sure he alone would be enough considering the baggage.

Schwarber? No way, but his IU roots probably expose my bias

Heywood? He contributes Gold Glove defense, and has hit in spurts this year, but would the Giants take on that contract? I'm sure they'd ask the Cubs to pay some of it, and with the Rickett's guarding the wallet,  I think Theo would have a tough sell.

Almora? Boy  with everything he brings, that would be tough for me to swallow.  Only 25 and his defense and offensive potential would be tough.

Why give any of these guys up for someone who essentially is going to do one thing -- get out big time lefties?

It would be nice to get rid of Heyward's contract.  Cubs have no outfielders who are top notch hitters.  The offensive production of their outfield is very poor.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree on every scenario you describe. I don't want to part with any of them honestly because of all the things you mentioned but it's going to take someone from this group, right? Unless you can convince a team that Montgomery or Chatwood is a starter again. Honestly no clue what to do but I know as we sit today. We're a playoff team...maybe a NLCS team... but not much more.

I would  doubt you would have to give up any of those players for a lefty reliever

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Let me ask you this...aside from the relievers would the Cubs be interested in Madison Bumgarner?  I imagine he is on the market as well.  If the Cubs give up something major...I want something major in return.

I never say never with Theo. Couldn't imagine a scenario with that working but the likelihood of Cubs playing Dodgers in playoffs is very high...who wouldn't want Bumgarner on their team. 

4 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Why give any of these guys up for someone who essentially is going to do one thing -- get out big time lefties?

It would be nice to get rid of Heyward's contract.  Cubs have no outfielders who are top notch hitters.  The offensive production of their outfield is very poor.

Some of the Dodgers key hitters (Pederson, Muncy, Bellinger, Seager) are lefties. Brewers routinely run up 4-5 each game. It's a HUGE issue to get quality lefty relievers not only for regular season but for playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Market is thin for quality lefty relievers. Making the price of guys like the two I mentioned going up each week until trade deadline. 

Looks like the Reds are going no where and they have some quality relievers since their bullpen is ranked 3rd in the MLB

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I never say never with Theo. Couldn't imagine a scenario with that working but the likelihood of Cubs playing Dodgers in playoffs is very high...who wouldn't want Bumgarner on their team. 

I was thinking a big package deal.  But Madison is the ultimate prize.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like the Reds are going no where and they have some quality relievers since their bullpen is ranked 3rd in the MLB

You guys can describe the Reds failure in the past about trading guys for future years better than I. Reds should try to max out their bullpen for years to come for prospects. They aren't winning the division this year or next or probably the year after that....but do what the Padres did and build a farm system loaded with prospects with the goal being 2021 and beyond. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, rico said:

He'd probably be a rental, as he's only signed through this year ($8 million), so I wouldn't want to give up what we gave up for Chapman.

Not sure who he would replace. Darvish? He essentially has the same numbers as Quintana, although I would like his post-season swag more. 

If we could get him cheap, sure. But I'd say the Giants will have more desperate suitors than the Cubs coming after him.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You guys can describe the Reds failure in the past about trading guys for future years better than I. Reds should try to max out their bullpen for years to come for prospects. They aren't winning the division this year or next or probably the year after that....but do what the Padres did and build a farm system loaded with prospects with the goal being 2021 and beyond. Just my two cents.

The Reds main problem with their rebuild is that they absolutely got nothing in trades for Chapman, Cueto and Bruce.  Most teams trading away great pitching usually gets at least one top prospect but the Reds got nothing.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The Reds main problem with their rebuild is that they absolutely got nothing in trades for Chapman, Cueto and Bruce.  Most teams trading away great pitching usually gets at least one top prospect but the Reds got nothing.

Castillo?

Cubs/Rockies getting a little heated. Hamels just plunked Arenado. For the backstory. Bryant was hit by Rockies last year causing him to miss several games. During Tuesday's game he was two more times causing him to miss today. Hamels plunked Arenado and he starts yapping. Tell your staff to stop hitting our guys buddy. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://apple.news/Aj0QVHENXQhyV4Did10rWWA

Great article about the Twins and why they are playing so well this year. Rocco Baldelli has to be on the short list for manager of the year.

Maybe you Reds’ fans can start a grassroots movement to bring a similar laid back atmosphere to your clubhouse— Maybe Piniella?🤣

At this point, I'd think it's a 2 horse race between Baldelli and Kevin Cash.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://apple.news/Aj0QVHENXQhyV4Did10rWWA

Great article about the Twins and why they are playing so well this year. Rocco Baldelli has to be on the short list for manager of the year.

Maybe you Reds’ fans can start a grassroots movement to bring a similar laid back atmosphere to your clubhouse— Maybe Piniella?🤣

Sweet Lou ruined the Reds.

Archived