2019 MLB Discussion

rico

13 minutes ago, rico said:

The object to the game is to have "table setters".  You got to get guys on base in order to score.  The lead-off guy gets more PA's and and you want high OBP guys there.  And the last time I checked Rizzo led off the game with a BB and scored on a Baez HR.

I guess we will have to disagree on this topic.  I want Rizzo or anyone with a power bat in the middle of the order driving in the runs.  It is the organizations job to get the table setters to get on in front of those power hitters.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will have to disagree on this topic.  I want Rizzo or anyone with a power bat in the middle of the order driving in the runs.  It is the organizations job to get the table setters to get on in front of those power hitters.

Senzel bats lead off for the Reds?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Senzel bats lead off for the Reds?

Yes because he will be the table setters and has sped to steal basis.  If I was the manager of the Reds this would be my lineup

1) SENZEL- CF

2) WINKER- LF

3) SUERAZ- 3B

4) DETTRICH- 2B

5) PUIG- RF

6) VOTTO- 1B

7) INGLESIAS- SS

8) CASILLA- C

9) PITCHER

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes because he will be the table setters and has sped to steal basis.  If I was the manager of the Reds this would be my lineup

1) SENZEL- CF

2) WINKER- LF

3) SUERAZ- 3B

4) DETTRICH- 2B

5) PUIG- RF

6) VOTTO- 1B

7) INGLESIAS- SS

😎 CASILLA- C

9) PITCHER

Iglesias and Casalli both have better on base percentages than Senzel and Winker.  Based on that, wouldn't they be setting a more productive table in the 1 & 2 spots?

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We had our table setter but he chose $ in St. Louis and a broken clubhouse over staying in Chicago. Ever since Fowler left we've been chasing. I go back and forth on importance of lead off  guy. Just depends on the day and game. Today I'm fine with it so far. Tomorrow could be different. Haha.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Iglesias and Casalli both have better on base percentages than Senzel and Winker.  Based on that, wouldn't they be setting a more productive table in the 1 & 2 spots?

Don't let facts cloud "old school."

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Question for Reds fans.  What happens when Gennett is healthy?

My take...right here, right now is that he becomes a spot starter.  He can play 3rd and the OF corner positions as well as his normal position.  But that is me.

1 minute ago, rico said:

My take...right here, right now is that he becomes a spot starter.  He can play 3rd and the OF corner positions as well as his normal position.  But that is me.

I think I would want to see if the Scooter of the last two years is still out there and play him every day. If so, he immediately becomes our best hitter (Suarez is the better overall player).   If healthy, he has to take ABs away from Winker, Votto, and Puig, doesn't he?  Assuming management wants to win and are not simply playing Puig as trade bait and Votto because of his contract.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think I would want to see if the Scooter of the last two years is still out there and play him every day. If so, he immediately becomes our best hitter (Suarez is the better overall player).   If healthy, he has to take ABs away from Winker, Votto, and Puig, doesn't he?  Assuming management wants to win and are not simply playing Puig as trade bait and Votto because of his contract.  

I want Winker in as much as possible but yeah, Dietrich plays 1st.  Scooter at 2nd.  Puig is a lost cause(as I type) so Scooter can play there.  I dunno, I want him healthy and then I will evaluate.  But here it is June 7th and we are only 6 GB.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We had our table setter but he chose $ in St. Louis and a broken clubhouse over staying in Chicago. Ever since Fowler left we've been chasing. I go back and forth on importance of lead off  guy. Just depends on the day and game. Today I'm fine with it so far. Tomorrow could be different. Haha.

Rizzo's line: 4 AB 2 walks, a hit, a run scored, and a stolen base...Rickey Henderson, move over!

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Last night, Kepler led off for the Twins against Cleveland, who had won the first two games of the series. Lead off hitter went 4-4 with three home runs as Twins won 5-4. 

Not sure Rizzo matches that 

He didn't match Kepler's 0-21 before last night either 😉

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Trouble is, the Cubs have a bunch of power bats...Bryant, Rizzo  Baez, Contreas, Schwarber...and the guys without power aren't hitting well or don't have great OBPs. And they have very little speed.

Which reminds me of a Tommy LaSorda line about, I think it was,  Mike Sciocia's speed..."He'd finish third in a race with a pregnant woman."

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Trouble is, the Cubs have a bunch of power bats...Bryant, Rizzo  Baez, Contreas, Schwarber...and the guys without power aren't hitting well or don't have great OBPs. And they have very little speed.

Which reminds me of a Tommy LaSorda line about, I think it was,  Mike Sciocia's speed..."He'd finish third in a race with a pregnant woman."

Scott wants a line-up that existed in 1982.  The Cubs just aren't "built" that way.  

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Scott wants a line-up that existed in 1982.  The Cubs just aren't "built" that way.  

No, they're not...but I wish they were a little more geared toward being able to manufacture runs. Using the old Earl Weaver philosophy of good pitching, defense, and wait for the 3 run homer will win you some games, but being able to make something out of not very much (walk, steal, hit and run) has its merits as well. Seeking6 is right...with Fowler at the top, the Cubs did that some...

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, they're not...but I wish they were a little more geared toward being able to manufacture runs. Using the old Earl Weaver philosophy of good pitching, defense, and wait for the 3 run homer will win you some games, but being able to make something out of not very much (walk, steal, hit and run) has its merits as well. Seeking6 is right...with Fowler at the top, the Cubs did that some...

And has been the topic of misery and conversation for us Cubs fans since he left. Cubs have made playoffs 4 straight years with Multiple Division Titles and World Series Championship. I'm not complaining about Theo on anything....but finding and keeping a leadoff guy is one of a couple of things I wish we could address...or at the very least find a guy and stick with him. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly because you need to be able to score in a various of ways and not just waiting for the homeruns.  Look at the Reds they look good and score runs when they hit homeruns but when you are facing quality pitchers you will be shut down.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly because you need to be able to score in a various of ways and not just waiting for the homeruns.  Look at the Reds they look good and score runs when they hit homeruns but when you are facing quality pitchers you will be shut down.

There's probably a metric to explain that somewhere 😉

Archived