2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, rico said:

Now, how long will it take Kimbrel to get into game shape?

Conflicting reports. Maddon mentioned 3 weeks last night. Others said that last week his stuff looked really, really good and might not take as long. If we can get everyone healthy in our bullpen it could go from dismal to a strength in about 30 days. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Conflicting reports. Maddon mentioned 3 weeks last night. Others said that last week his stuff looked really, really good and might not take as long. If we can get everyone healthy in our bullpen it could go from dismal to a strength in about 30 days. 

He gonna start out in A, AA, or AAA?

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So much for the report from Minnesota that the Twins were going after Kimbrel and Keuchel. Looks like NYY will be signing Keuchel.

Don't blame the players. I am sure that both the Cubs and the Yankees can offer much larger $$$ than what a small-market team can.

Luxury tax be damned!

Looks to me like the Twins don't need any help right now?

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So much for the report from Minnesota that the Twins were going after Kimbrel and Keuchel. Looks like NYY will be signing Keuchel.

Don't blame the players. I am sure that both the Cubs and the Yankees can offer much larger $$$ than what a small-market team can.

Luxury tax be damned!

Cubs still below luxury tax threshold. Theo won't go above and is historically pretty frugal when he wants to be. Only 2 teams I believe that are over luxury tax is Red Sox and Yankees.

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Luxury tax be damned!

That is one of the things that have always been a problem in the MLB is that certain teams can just go out and out spend teams for players.  Those teams can take chances on players and if it does not work out they can afford those mistakes but teams like the Reds or Twins can't make those mistakes.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is one of the things that have always been a problem in the MLB is that certain teams can just go out and out spend teams for players.  Those teams can take chances on players and if it does not work out they can afford those mistakes but teams like the Reds or Twins can't make those mistakes.

I ain't really no expert on the business side of MLB but they just ain't got it right on that end.  They need a hard salary cap and revenue sharing.  

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rose is quoted as saying him and Bench are getting along these days.  

Ummmm,......Not any more.

Pete continues to prove that he just doesn't get it.  The man truly has no concept that what he did was wrong, as in damaging the integrity of the game wrong.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As a Reds fan, back quite a few years I read an interesting article.  The premise of it was that the Reds should have traded Rose instead of Tony Perez.  At the time the Reds had 2 capable 3rd basemen in Ray Knight and Dan Driessen.  

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And if Morrow can get back after the All-Star game and be the 8th inning guy (which was his best fit when he was a Dodger), whoa...We'll have a great bullpen.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And if Morrow can get back after the All-Star game and be the 8th inning guy (which was his best fit when he was a Dodger), whoa...We'll have a great bullpen.

Exactly. 6 innings from starters, normal roles for some of the guys in 6th and 7th....while having Strop, Morrow, and Kimbrel for 7/8/9 and not worry if you have to give someone a day off. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Looks like Cubs have a new lead off hitter today. Rizzo's turn! Haha....

I guess I am old school but if I were the manager of the Cubs I would have Bryant 3rd, Rizzo 4th and Baez 5th in the order.  I never will understand why you would want you top hitters and RBI guys batting  1st or 2nd in the lineup.  I want as many people in front of them that can get on base and batting 1st you won't have many guys on base in front of him.

Rico why are you confused with my comment because batting 1st you will be batting behind the 8th place hitter and the pitcher for a lot of the game.  On most NL teams those positions don't have very good hitters so they won't be on base for you best hitter.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Rico why are you confused with my comment because batting 1st you will be batting behind the 8th place hitter and the pitcher for a lot of the game.  On most NL teams those positions don't have very good hitters so they won't be on base for you best hitter.

The object to the game is to have "table setters".  You got to get guys on base in order to score.  The lead-off guy gets more PA's and and you want high OBP guys there.  And the last time I checked Rizzo led off the game with a BB and scored on a Baez HR.

Archived