2019 MLB Discussion

rico

This is probably the kiss of death but Hendricks going for Cubs tonight at home and for the sweep. He's been almost unbeatable at home. Really need this one to even things up after getting swept last weekend. Don't see the Cardinals again until July 30th. Pretty nice win last night after spotting Cards 4 in top of 1st to score 9 unanswered. Don't remember many games like that. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is probably the kiss of death but Hendricks going for Cubs tonight at home and for the sweep. He's been almost unbeatable at home. Really need this one to even things up after getting swept last weekend. Don't see the Cardinals again until July 30th. Pretty nice win last night after spotting Cards 4 in top of 1st to score 9 unanswered. Don't remember many games like that. 

As a Cubs fan, do you ever see Schwarber living up to the potential of what we thought when he first came up to MLB?  Or, is what we have today (sub .240 with a decent, but not great,  OBP and power numbers), what we will always get from him?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a Cubs fan, do you ever see Schwarber living up to the potential of what we thought when he first came up to MLB?  Or, is what we have today (sub .240 with a decent, but not great,  OBP and power numbers, what we will always get from him?

No clue anymore. His .866 OPS (on base plus slugging %) in his lead off role would have him ranked 45th or so in baseball so that's a pretty good number. He broke onto the scene in 15 and energized an entire city and fan base so I think the expectations were so high. Missing the entire 16 season but ending up batting I think .430 in the World Series only made the legend grow more. 

To answer your question. Just not sure. He's on pace for another 30-32 home runs this year. Which based on 2018 leaders would put him around top 20. The average is the tough one. Pure hitting machine at IU. Some of his numbers are actually really, really good....but when you bat .233 people can't get past that one.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue anymore. His .866 OPS (on base plus slugging %) in his lead off role would have him ranked 45th or so in baseball so that's a pretty good number. He broke onto the scene in 15 and energized an entire city and fan base so I think the expectations were so high. Missing the entire 16 season but ending up batting I think .430 in the World Series only made the legend grow more. 

To answer your question. Just not sure. He's on pace for another 30-32 home runs this year. Which based on 2018 leaders would put him around top 20. The average is the tough one. Pure hitting machine at IU. Some of his numbers are actually really, really good....but when you bat .233 people can't get past that one.

Kyle is just fine, rooting for the young man.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Kyle is just fine, rooting for the young man.

Always and absolutely. I'm a lifer but he's in my top 5 favorite Cubs list already. (Sandberg, Buckner, Sosa, Schwarber and I go back and forth between Zambrano/Randall Simon). 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Always and absolutely. I'm a lifer but he's in my top 5 favorite Cubs list already. (Sandberg, Buckner, Sosa, Schwarber and I go back and forth between Zambrano/Randall Simon). 

Nice...being a little older, I'm partial to Shawon Dunston (my favorite baseball player of all time for any team), Schwarber  Banks, Jenkins, and Kerry Wood. Would have liked to put Joe Kmak in there, but just not enough time in the bigs. 

I'd be way down on the list before I got to Sosa. 2 strikes on cheating. I understand he's a bit of a victim of culture, but I can't excuse the cheating.

And every time I think of McGwire up in the stands hugging the Maris family after hitting #62 it makes me want to vomit.

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nice...being a little older, I'm partial to Showon Dunston (my favorite baseball player of all time for any team), Schwarber  Banks, Jenkins, and Kerry Wood. Would have liked to put Joe Kmak in there, but just not enough time in the bigs. 

I'd be way down on the list before I got to Sosa. 2 strikes on cheating. I understand he's a bit of a victim of culture, but I can't excuse the cheating.

And every time I think of McGwire up in the stands hugging the Maris family after hitting #62 it makes me want to vomit.

Love me some Dunston someone had to miss the cut. Saw Kerry Wood this past week when I was up there. Talk about thin. Looks like a stick. 

Hendricks continues his phenomenal pitching..especially at home. Cubs sweep Cardinals. Schwarber is looking as good as I've seen him at the plate since 2015. Maybe he found something again. Tough week coming up for Cubs. At Rockies, at Dodgers. Honestly I'd take 4-3 or 3-4 right now. We've never played well at either place.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hendricks continues his phenomenal pitching..especially at home. Cubs sweep Cardinals. Schwarber is looking as good as I've seen him at the plate since 2015. Maybe he found something again. Tough week coming up for Cubs. At Rockies, at Dodgers. Honestly I'd take 4-3 or 3-4 right now. We've never played well at either place.

I don’t get how he’s so effective. Is it movement on his pitches? Location? He’s not overpowering obviously. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t get how he’s so effective. Is it movement on his pitches? Location? He’s not overpowering obviously. 

All the above plus some occasional help from Mother Nature when she delivers winds off the lake (blowing in). So much has been discussed in baseball about launch angle of the hitters Hendricks has been quietly raising his pitches in the zone. Now he's got them guessing even more high/low/in/outside,etc...

He has something on the Cardinals though. Last 10 starts vs them he's 7-0 with 2.31 era. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Schwarber is just warming up.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty scary. Just saw the video of street justice. Guess the guy who pulled the trigger (Garcia) was beat within an inch of his life. That guy won't last long in prison. 

Yep, Big Papi is an icon in that country.  The guy should have picked a different victim.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It is called pitching and it proves you don't have to throw 100 mph to be a great pitcher.  It is about location and having movement on the ball and adding or subtracting speed.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is called pitching and it proves you don't have to throw 100 mph to be a great pitcher.  It is about location and having movement on the ball and adding or subtracting speed.

And Greg Maddux says hello.

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I was asking specifically about Hendricks. I obviously know you don’t have to throw 100 to be effective. Scott gave a generic answer that didn’t answer the question. 

He did indeed answer the question with his second sentence...

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is about location and having movement on the ball and adding or subtracting speed.

Which, historically,  is pretty much how any pitcher that doesn't have overpowering stuff is going to do it...Maddux, Hendricks, and the afore-quoted Warren Spahn.

Archived