2019 MLB Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs are 12-12 in 1 run games. CarGo signing was mainly because of Zobrist situation where Theo knows he needs a veteran who can make one play or sac fly or whatever during a tight game to help the team win. Ever since our long stretch of winning we've been in 7-11 games above .500 for weeks now. Have some very winnable series coming up...hopefully we can get on a run. 

They didn't need another outfielder.  They are full.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry Cubs fans but I am tired of you guys whining about your team even though you are in first place.  You win your first championship in 108 years and now you sound like some entitled kids who think they are owed championships every year.

Cool. Any other wisdom you want to share? I thought most of us Cubs fans that post here have been pretty respectful of your Reds problems without saying the obvious about your franchise. We'll see if we can change it up a bit. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry Cubs fans but I am tired of you guys whining about your team even though you are in first place.  You win your first championship in 108 years and now you sound like some entitled kids who think they are owed championships every year.

A) The Cubs are not in first place, the "small market" Brewers are

B) The only kvetching I have seen in this thread is from a certain Reds' fan longing for the halcyon days of Lou Pinella and bemoaning the disadvantages of rooting for a "small market" team, even though there is ample evidence that managing your franchise the right way will have you contending no matter what market you're in

C) I don't think I'm "entitled" to a damn thing, but having been a Cubs fan since 1966, and growing up in an area where all of my friends were Reds fans when the Reds were one of the best teams in baseball for a good 10 year period, I'm acutely aware of how rare a long run of success (unless you're a Yankees fan) is. The Cubs have talent now and I don't want it to slip away

D) I was only kidding when I said, "Please God, just one time!"

E) I bet you're fun at parties

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool. Any other wisdom you want to share? I thought most of us Cubs fans that post here have been pretty respectful of your Reds problems without saying the obvious about your franchise. We'll see if we can change it up a bit. 

Never said you were disrespectful but I am not going to feel sorry for you either when your team has won a championship and have went to the playoffs the last few years.

43 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Reds fans.

Davey Concepcion turned 71 today.

Should he be in the HOF?

For his era...he was the best.  I am thinking he was like 9-10 time all-star?  I don't know how many gold gloves he got, but I suspect it was quite a few.  Heck, I about b et he got a few silver sluggers in there as well.  Davey was a beast, on the field and in the box.

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Reds fans.

Davey Concepcion turned 71 today.

Should he be in the HOF?

Yes. I think shortstops, for the most part, get the short end of the HOF stick.

Marty Marion, Omar Vizquel, Bert Campanaris all deserve it in my eyes. 

They take into consideration a catchers defensive prowess, leadership, and handling of a pitching staff when evaluating those with modest offensive numbers (while ignoring some catchers with great offensive numbers...Ted Simmons comes to mind).They should take into consideration at least the first two when evaluating shortstops (they certainly did with Rizzuto...The New York effect).

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes. I think shortstops, for the most part, get the short end of the HOF stick.

Marty Marion, Omar Vizquel, Bert Campanaris all deserve it in my eyes. 

They take into consideration a catchers defensive prowess, leadership, and handling of a pitching staff when evaluating those with modest offensive numbers (while ignoring some catchers with great offensive numbers...Ted Simmons comes to mind).They should take into consideration at least the first two when evaluating shortstops (they certainly did with Rizzuto...The New York effect).

Marty Marion?  You that old?

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don’t think they’re looking for you to feel sorry for them. Once you taste success, you want more of it. Cubs have a heck of a core right now and I’m guessing their fans want to capitalize and hopefully win more championships. They have a good team who should be better than their record indicates. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think they’re looking for you to feel sorry for them. Once you taste success, you want more of it. Cubs have a heck of a core right now and I’m guessing their fans want to capitalize and hopefully win more championships. They have a good team who should be better than their record indicates. 

To me it is like me as a Colts fan talking with a Browns and complaining about us missing the playoffs for 3 straight years.  Since 98 the Colts have had 4 loosing seasons and for me to complain about those 3 years when Luck was injured would come off a little entitled if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is like me as a Colts fan talking with a Browns and complaining about us missing the playoffs for 3 straight years.  Since 98 the Colts have had 4 loosing seasons and for me to complain about those 3 years when Luck was injured would come off a little entitled if you ask me.

Colts fans have became used to winning...no different than Cubs or Cards fans.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Cubs had a losing record from 2010-2014. It’s not like they’ve been a juggernaut for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Marty Marion?  You that old?

No, but he use to be a greeter at the Cardinal Club in old Busch Stadium. I talked to him numerous times. Very nice guy, and according to all of the old timers, one hell of a SS. Looking strictly at the numbers, he wasn't Robin Yount with the bat, but he was equal to or better than Rizzuto, Boudreax, or Reese (who are all in). Connie Mack, who saw a few SSs in his time, said Marion was the best he'd ever seen (including Honus Wagner)

Just now, IUFLA said:

No, but he use to be a greeter at the Cardinal Club in old Busch Stadium. I talked to him numerous times. Very nice guy, and according to all of the old timers, one hell of a SS. Looking strictly at the numbers, he wasn't Robin Yount with the bat, but he was equal to or better than Rizzuto, Boudreax, or Reese (who are all in). Connie Mack, who saw a few SSs in his time, said Marion was the best he'd ever seen (including Honus Wagner)

My Great Uncle(Cards fan) use to talk about him all the time.

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Plus I’ll always love Marty for that famous quote he said about the Cubs. You remember the one I’m talking about?

He has said a lot about the Cubs.  I do remember him saying that they had the most obnoxious fans.

Archived