2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rizzo got hit. Stole second and tried to steal 3rd up 8-0 after Rockies BS....and Javy sends a shot about 8,000 feet on next pitch. Umps lost control of this one..

I didn't get to watch the game, but was just watching the highlights on the ESPN website...One of the Rockies announcers said, "It's probably a good thing these 2 teams don't play again this year."

Yeah, probably...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't get to watch the game, but was just watching the highlights on the ESPN website...One of the Rockies announcers said, "It's probably a good thing these 2 teams don't play again this year."

Yeah, probably...

One of the more crazier regular season games I've watched in years. Odd part is Maddon and Bud Black are good friends off the field but probably escalated to the point where things just boiled over after last year and first two games of this series.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One of the more crazier regular season games I've watched in years. Odd part is Maddon and Bud Black are good friends off the field but probably escalated to the point where things just boiled over after last year and first two games of this series.

In the unwritten rules of baseball, seems to me that everyone did the right thing up until Rizzo got plunked.

And Rizzo's stolen base, his try for 3rd and Javy's laser stare after his bomb were all justified.

Of course, I'm not biased or anything 🧐

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the unwritten rules of baseball, seems to me that everyone did the right thing up until Rizzo got plunked.

And Rizzo's stolen base, his try for 3rd and Javy's laser stare after his bomb were all justified.

Of course, I'm not biased or anything 🧐

I still feel like Cubs owe the Rockies one or two next year. Bryant has been hit 4x by Rockies last year and this year. We hit Arenado once. Oh well. onto LA for a tough 4 game series. Would take a split in a heartbeat. After that we have a perceived favorable schedule all the way up until All Star Break July 7th. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I still feel like Cubs owe the Rockies one or two next year. Bryant has been hit 4x by Rockies last year and this year. We hit Arenado once. Oh well. onto LA for a tough 4 game series. Would take a split in a heartbeat. After that we have a perceived favorable schedule all the way up until All Star Break July 7th. 

I agree...it should have been over after Hamels took one in the ankle. From what I read, Cole even acknowledged that by nodding toward the mound. But, Rizzo getting hit needs to be addressed.

I did read a funny quote in the Sun-Times this morning attributed to Joe Maddon. He said a batter has 2 options when getting hit.

"Go to the mound, or go to first base. But don't sit there and jabber. Either one is fine, but you have 2 choices"

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...it should have been over after Hamels took one in the ankle. From what I read, Cole even acknowledged that by nodding toward the mound. But, Rizzo getting hit needs to be addressed.

I did read a funny quote in the Sun-Times this morning attributed to Joe Maddon. He said a batter has 2 options when getting hit.

"Go to the mound, or go to first base. But don't sit there and jabber. Either one is fine, but you have 2 choices"

I know opinions vary on Joe between Cubs fans and other teams fans but he's usually on point. In this case he's exactly right. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well we always finished second with Pete as manager.  Also you probably thought 2002 was a RMK team even though he was two years removed from coaching.

Pete had the team on the cusp.  He put the team together...Lou tore it apart.  Sure they won the series in '90, but the pieces were there to make a sustained run.  See ya Lou.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Pujols and the angels visit St. Louis next weekend. His first time back in STL since he left. I hope he gets a huge standing ovation personally. 

If the Cards fans don't give him an ovation, then they are pitiful fans.

To follow up on Lester's post game comments last night. I remember a time when Dodger Stadium was a pitcher's park. Don't know if it's the ball, bat, hitters or poor pitching but if MLB wanted to follow the footsteps of NFL (offense draws viewers) they are definitely succeeding. Balls that are normally warning track fly ball outs are getting into the stands. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

To follow up on Lester's post game comments last night. I remember a time when Dodger Stadium was a pitcher's park. Don't know if it's the ball, bat, hitters or poor pitching but if MLB wanted to follow the footsteps of NFL (offense draws viewers) they are definitely succeeding. Balls that are normally warning track fly ball outs are getting into the stands. 

I don't think that is just a Dodger Stadium thing...it is happening all over baseball right now.

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Pujols and the angels visit St. Louis next weekend. His first time back in STL since he left. I hope he gets a huge standing ovation personally. 

I think St. Louis is in such a good mood, pretty much anyone besides Stan Kroenke would get a welcome back ovation this weekend.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't think that is just a Dodger Stadium thing...it is happening all over baseball right now.

Yep. But when it hits historically pitchers parks like DS it really becomes concerning. Pitchers have to pitch higher and higher to protect themselves vs launch angles of hitters these days. As we all know though pitching higher is a recipe for dongs. Double edge sword for some of these guys. 

CB Bucknor was umpire last night for Cubs/Dodgers game. Thought Joe Maddon's comment was spot on. Called strikes took Cubs out of 2 or 3 run scoring chances in a tight game. Getting closer and closer to just an electronic zone. If Umps and MLB will be this bad/inconsistent with zero way to challenge their ineptness I'm all done with the human element.

“Unfortunately, whenever that fellow works, everybody expects that in advance. And it’s hard to argue because it’s equally offensive to both sides. That’s as kind as I can be.”

Archived