NBA Thread

Was picking up some to go last night and had a beer while Pacers were on. Talked to this guy who is so excited about Pacers. Here's my thing and you NBA guys help me out. Maybe it's the Simon family but I always feel like we've been a feeder program. Guys come here play well,etc....but leave. What will it take for the Pacers to finally get back to ECF?

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was picking up some to go last night and had a beer while Pacers were on. Talked to this guy who is so excited about Pacers. Here's my thing and you NBA guys help me out. Maybe it's the Simon family but I always feel like we've been a feeder program. Guys come here play well,etc....but leave. What will it take for the Pacers to finally get back to ECF?

ECF I don’t think is all that difficult…you can do that by putting together a team full of hard working, connected, talented teammates. Winning an NBA finals you need a superstar minimum. So I think you need a couple long/athletic wings that can switch anything and shoot to pair with our guards…then maybe have a veteran free agent/mid season trade to give us a toughness/experience. All that is a couple years away….but to win it all you need to draft a Tatum/Giannis type talent…but someone that is willing to stay like Giannis. Probably should look at drafting foreign players instead of kids that grew up fans of the Heat, Lakers, Celtics etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, rico said:

This doesn’t even touch on the fact he is a terrible liability on defense. Even Curry has worked diligently to be serviceable at that end over the years after getting picked on for years. I really thought Murray was a good pickup for them but he is woofully under utilized.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This doesn’t even touch on the fact he is a terrible liability on defense. Even Curry has worked diligently to be serviceable at that end over the years after getting picked on for years. I really thought Murray was a good pickup for them but he is woofully under utilized.

I personally think Trae Young is really overrated. Terrible defender and the comparisons to Steph Curry are ridiculous. He's not remotely the shooter Curry is, not even close. 

He got lucky to get to the ECF two years ago with Boston and Brooklyn suffering injuries and Ben Simmons/Philly being a train wreck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I personally think Trae Young is really overrated. Terrible defender and the comparisons to Steph Curry are ridiculous. He's not remotely the shooter Curry is, not even close. 

He got lucky to get to the ECF two years ago with Boston and Brooklyn suffering injuries and Ben Simmons/Philly being a train wreck. 

I'd concur.  He didn't play any defense in college either.  Outside of a few lightning in a bottle moments, I see his normal ceiling being scoring a lot of points on a lot of shots on mediocre teams.

• Like 2

Figured I'd share this since it's Pacers and Indy Star related. Longtime Pacers PR Director, David Benner, passed away this morning after a battle with cancer. 

David was incredibly kind to me when I was a young and inexperienced PR Coordinator with the Celtics in the early 2000's, even saving butt once on a road trip to Indy during the playoffs.  He was kind of a mentor to all the young PR people in the league and a Indianapolis sports legend. 

RIP

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/03/01/david-benner-a-legend-at-the-indystar-and-then-the-pacers-dies/69959012007/

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Figured I'd share this since it's Pacers and Indy Star related. Longtime Pacers PR Director, David Benner, passed away this morning after a battle with cancer. 

David was incredibly kind to me when I was a young and inexperienced PR Coordinator with the Celtics in the early 2000's, even saving butt once on a road trip to Indy during the playoffs.  He was kind of a mentor to all the young PR people in the league and a Indianapolis sports legend. 

RIP

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/03/01/david-benner-a-legend-at-the-indystar-and-then-the-pacers-dies/69959012007/

The local guys are sharing stories right now on 107.5

• Like 1