NBA Thread

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, love that! I'm paraphrasing here, but he added something to the effect of that you go back to work and learn and improve and hopefully we win it next season. It's all part of the process. 

I fully understand these dudes are PAID, but regardless... going through a PC less than an hour/two hours after your season ending is nothing I could be a part of. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I fully understand these dudes are PAID, but regardless... going through a PC less than an hour/two hours after your season ending is nothing I could be a part of. 

Imagine being the PR person in the lockeroom forcing, begging and pleading with the player to get to the podium when they absolutely don't want too?

That was my job. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Maybe Giannis can learn that Bud needs to be fired big time. Awful coaching down the stretch last night against the Heat. 

I can't be the only who saw the move Spo made. Made Bam the ball handler down the stretch to run the high low for Jimmy B?? Pretty good coaching there. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Jimmy Butler is that dude.

Still laugh at people thinking he was the problem in places like Minnesota or Philly. That guy wants nothing more than to win. 

I really like Butler. He's a slept-on superstar. He might not be as 'splashy' or 'shiny' as other guys, but he has that elite, winner's mindset.

He's confident without being cocky, and demanding in a way that forces others to raise their games. Exactly what you want in a lead dog teammate. Dude won't go down without a fight.

• Like 1

I thought I was seeing things during half of Heat/Knicks game. They showed Steph coming into building followed by a shot of Statue of Liberty with the Twin Towers in the background. 

Things getting so lean at ESPN they need decades old footage?

PS. Phenomenal game by Steph and Looney. NBA gets their matchup. Steph vs Lebron. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought I was seeing things during half of Heat/Knicks game. They showed Steph coming into building followed by a shot of Statue of Liberty with the Twin Towers in the background. 

Things getting so lean at ESPN they need decades old footage?

PS. Phenomenal game by Steph and Looney. NBA gets their matchup. Steph vs Lebron. 

He was unreal. Just an absolute bucket.

• Like 3

They are so scared of him shooting the 3 he can literally get a layup almost anytime he wants! 

There have been certain players that have revolutionized the game over the years..Wilt, Oscar, Dr J, Magic/Bird, MJ, Lebron….Steph possibly has changed how the game is played more than any of them with his style…now everyone in the league is playing like him. Crazy to see.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

They are so scared of him shooting the 3 he can literally get a layup almost anytime he wants! 

There have been certain players that have revolutionized the game over the years..Wilt, Oscar, Dr J, Magic/Bird, MJ, Lebron….Steph possibly has changed how the game is played more than any of them with his style…now everyone in the league is playing like him. Crazy to see.

As crazy as it is, I don’t think Steph gets enough credit historically. He probably should be considered a top ten player all time at this point and you really don’t see him mentioned that high. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

As crazy as it is, I don’t think Steph gets enough credit historically. He probably should be considered a top ten player all time at this point and you really don’t see him mentioned that high. 

I agree that Steph should be higher but I feel the narrative (not that I agree with it) that his first championship was against a Cavaliers team with injuries to Irving and Love, he lost being up 3-1 and then brought in KD and sort of wimped out. Again, I don't agree with this assessment but it's something I hear. 

Also do you have any thoughts about where the NBA goes from here? Are we eventually going to see people consistently jacking up threes from half court? Does the NBA adjust rules to make playing defense easier?

What a horrendous performance by the Celtics. Just an embarrassing loss and performance. Why this team just constantly makes it so difficult on themselves. 

They did it throughout the playoffs last season. They did it losing Game 5 in Boston to the Hawks when Murray was suspended. 

Now they lose Game 1 at home with the Sixers missing Embiid. Just embarrassing. 

Just ridiculous turnovers like they did in the Finals last year. 16 total, including 10 between Smart and Brown. 

You can't lose that game. 

• Like 1

My yearly contribution to the NBA thread...

I was reading this article about the NBA banner year for 50 point performances... 25 this year by 15 different players... Astounding!

Until you discover that total is a little more than half the number of times Wilt Chamberlain scored 50 (45 times) by himself in 1962...

The Dipper scored over 50 118 times in his illustrious career... More than the next 5 players (Jordan, Bryant, Harden, Baylor, and Lillard) on the list combined 😯

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

What a horrendous performance by the Celtics. Just an embarrassing loss and performance. Why this team just constantly makes it so difficult on themselves. 

They did it throughout the playoffs last season. They did it losing Game 5 in Boston to the Hawks when Murray was suspended. 

Now they lose Game 1 at home with the Sixers missing Embiid. Just embarrassing. 

Just ridiculous turnovers like they did in the Finals last year. 16 total, including 10 between Smart and Brown. 

You can't lose that game. 

That was a bad sequence for the Celtics at the end. Just can't turn the ball over there.

Wasted performance from Tatum.

Harden was solid -- good thing for you guys is that he usually crumbles when the series gains intensity.

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

That was a bad sequence for the Celtics at the end. Just can't turn the ball over there.

Wasted performance from Tatum.

Harden was solid -- good thing for you guys is that he usually crumbles when the series gains intensity.

You just can't lose that game. The defense was horrendous and you can't have 16 turnovers at home against a crappy defensive team. 

Just bad. Now Game 2 is a must win. Just stupid. 

My only real ref complaint tonight, how in the hell is this not a Flagrant 2? The refs didn't call anything and didn't even review it.

Then you have Reggie Miller after the break going on and on about how PJ Tucker didn't see Tatum and was just waving his guys to get back on D.  

Sidenote: Reggie is horrible on these games. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My only real ref complaint tonight, how in the hell is this not a Flagrant 2? The refs didn't call anything and didn't even review it.

Then you have Reggie Miller after the break going on and on about how PJ Tucker didn't see Tatum and was just waving his guys to get back on D.  

Sidenote: Reggie is horrible on these games. 

That is a Boom Baby right in the baby maker! 

2 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

That is a Boom Baby right in the baby maker! 

And not even a foul was called, let alone a flagrant. It was right at a timeout and then refs didn't even review it during the break. 

How is he not suspended for the next game? A blatant nut punch to a star player. 

Seems the refs really swallow their whistle a lot in the post season. Clearly they don’t want to be the story line in determining the outcome of such important games…but sometimes by being so passive they do influence the game. 

That all said the Celtics lost this game by not valuing possessions. Like they took for granted Philly without Embiid that they should just win and they just played undisciplined and weren’t locked in. There really isn’t an excuse for not taking care of the ball and playing hard at the defensive end. You miss shots…so be it…but this time of year you can’t just coast. Like you said they have a bad habit of that…last series and a lot of it last year including in the championship last year. I thought it was just a young undisciplined team but now there is no excuse for this…they should know what it takes now.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And not even a foul was called, let alone a flagrant. It was right at a timeout and then refs didn't even review it during the break. 

How is he not suspended for the next game? A blatant nut punch to a star player. 

I’m not sure about a suspension…flagrant for sure…but Tucker has made a profession out of this stuff for years…saw it against KD a few years ago…he gets away with way way too much physicality.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not sure about a suspension…flagrant for sure…but Tucker has made a profession out of this stuff for years…saw it against KD a few years ago…he gets away with way way too much physicality.

Should have been a flagrant 2, since it was nothing that's why I'm going to suspension for Game 2. 

It was a clear and blatant nut punch. 

Not expecting anything though. 

• Like 1