NBA Thread

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How lucky can an organization be like the Spurs. The three times they get the #1 pick in the draft there is a franchise player to pick in Robinson, Duncan and now Victor 

Yeh, the year they won Duncan lotto they had a solid playoff team that was destroyed by injuries (Robinson played 6 games) for a year and wound up in the lottery.  Probably the only year they did not make playoffs since Robinson arrived until last 2 or 3 seasons.

Thier next move will be replacing Pop on the sidelines. You could almost see Coach Bud from the Bucks returning to join Pop's staff again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Bucks interview Sampson for head coach position.

He was an assistant there for a few years after his IU stint. Makes sense to give him a proper look.

What doesn't make sense is firing Mike Budenholzer in the first place. Same thing could be said about Monty Williams and Nick Nurse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

He was an assistant there for a few years after his IU stint. Makes sense to give him a proper look.

What doesn't make sense is firing Mike Budenholzer in the first place. Same thing could be said about Monty Williams and Nick Nurse.

I heard talking heads saying Budenholzer lost support from Giannis.  Mgmt seem to listen to players more these days, so likely to be the truth regarding his firing, I'd guess.

I think the Celtics still win this series and get to the Finals, but I don't think we can win a title with how we just give playoff games away. 

Did it throughout the playoff run last year, this year gave away Game 5 vs Atlanta, Games 1, 4 and 5 against Philly and now Game 1 vs Miami. 

4 of those 5 losses are at home. Just unacceptable in the playoffs. 

On the 3 Philly games I listed, I'm not saying that series should have been a sweep or that the Celtics should have won all 3, the other team is trying too. But it was so onbrand for this group to lose Game 1 at home with no Embiid. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the Celtics still win this series and get to the Finals, but I don't think we can win a title with how we just give playoff games away. 

Did it throughout the playoff run last year, this year gave away Game 5 vs Atlanta, Games 1, 4 and 5 against Philly and now Game 1 vs Miami. 

On the 3 Philly games I listed, I'm not saying that series should have been a sweep or that the Celtics should have won all 3, the other team is trying too. But it was so onbrand for this group to lose Game 1 at home with no Embiid. 

The enigma that is this Boston Celtic team…flabbergasted I am. Miami has no business scoring 120 pts in this game. I know the the Heat go as the 3pt shooting goes but this was the poorest effort I’ve seen yet from Boston. They are too talented not to put their foot down on the throats of these lesser teams. So fortunate Tatum caught heat at the end of game 6 because they were playing like they deserved to lose that series. 

I know Spolstra is probably a good 10-12 pt advantage coaching wise over the Celtics horrible coach but even with that no excuse not to lock down Streus and company from getting looks from 3. Let Jimmy and Bam get theirs…they can’t beat you if you don’t help off their shooters. 

Agree they win this series but I would never bet on the Celtics…you never know what team will show up…jekel and Hyde.

11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Good article about this:

Being fired is part of the job as a coach of a professional sports franchise, especially in the NBA. Of the last five coaches to win the finals, four have since been fired. They are Lue (won in 2016, fired in fall of ’18), Nurse (won in 2019, fired in April), Frank Vogel (won in 2020, fired in ’22) and Budenholzer (won in 2021, fired last week).”

“There are only three markets in the NBA where any player who comes through knows that their ego, their will and their personal desires, will not be enough to topple a coach. KD and Draymond Green aren’t too big for Kerr, Jimmy Butler isn’t above Spoelstra in Miami and Leonard wasn’t more important than Pop in San Antonio.”

“Think about every market — Milwaukee, Cleveland, Memphis, New Orleans, Dallas — where organizations are terrified that their star player may grow unhappy and demand a trade before his contract is up.”

“It’s not a great way to run a business, and at least some of it is related to the relative weakness of the modern NBA head coach. They are typically the bosses in name only.”

https://theathletic.com/4525649/2023/05/17/doc-rivers-fired-76ers-nba-coaching-carousel/

• Thanks 1

Boston is darn good when they go into urgency mode and are all business.  They can definitely pick it up a notch from what we saw in game one.  IMO

Regarding NBA coaches, this is nothing new.  Even coaches who have won can grate on the players after awhile.  Bud is a very good coach but there were some negatives associated with him, particularly infamously a lack of adjustments in the playoffs.  Nick Nurse is very intense and the players couldn’t take it anymore.  After a certain number of years, some coaches wear out their welcome, or the team needs a new formula to move forward even if the coach was solid. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think this tweet plays into it. Curious what your thoughts are? You watch Tatum much more than me:

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think this tweet plays into it. Curious what your thoughts are? You watch Tatum much more than me:

I kind of think that's a bit of a lazy take (by the guy on Twitter). Was that true 2+ years ago, sure. But Tatum has really cleaned that part of his game up. 

He wasn't really doing that in Game 7 for example or the 4th of Game 6 against Philly. 

That definitely was not the problem last night. The problem was that Tatum took 0 4th quarter shots. For some reason the Celtics put him off the ball and weren't the offense through him. 

San antonio is great.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:26 PM, dgambill said:

Well I wonder how long he stays until he forced his way out like Kawhi. It’s a different time than when the twin towers were playing together. Maybe he will be like Giannis though.

Euros don't seem to be whine their way out of town when the going is tough.  They seem more loyal to their team. .  Media takes the recent generation of players and applies all sort trade article rumors to get clicks.  Austin/San antonio area is great place to live.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

San antonio is great.

Euros don't seem to be whine their way out of town when the going is tough.  They seem more loyal to their team. .  Media takes the recent generation of players and applies all sort trade article rumors to get clicks.  Austin/San antonio area is great place to live.     

I just know my couple times visiting San Antonio was incredibly boring. Dallas and Houston not so much but that organization seems so vanilla. Successful but vanilla. Like you said though….might not matter to a kid from France as the Euros seem to not care as much about the markets they are in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I kind of think that's a bit of a lazy take (by the guy on Twitter). Was that true 2+ years ago, sure. But Tatum has really cleaned that part of his game up. 

He wasn't really doing that in Game 7 for example or the 4th of Game 6 against Philly. 

That definitely was not the problem last night. The problem was that Tatum took 0 4th quarter shots. For some reason the Celtics put him off the ball and weren't the offense through him. 

Yeah I have no clue what Boston was doing last night. They get away from their identity all the time though. Almost like they get bored by it. I think the coaching didn’t help them last night….maybe he will be good someday but he clearly hasn’t found the pulse of his team yet. 

The Tatum take has an angle…that is accurate at times…but certainly not the issue last night. Miami is a far inferior team but they won’t beat themselves. Well coached, lots of veterans, lots of really good role players that know their game. If Boston even just plays their B game they should win this. They have to run Miami off the 3pt line…they don’t have enough playmakers to hurt them inside the arc.

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Jamaal Murray just gave a clinic on why you don’t tell your best players to stop shooting when they’re having an off night. 

Yep same thing happened to Tatum against 6ers…both looked totally off but in the end they found their stroke.

11 hours ago, John S said:

Watching James now against Nuggets, he is showing age. Slow, tired and missed shots.  He talks to refs constantly. Wish NBA would drop hmer on players complaining and flopping.  Gets boring to watch.  

He looks like he was losing his legs a bit. Not sure if he has an injury but he didn’t have that explosion he usually has. His game is definitely changing because he would have finished so many of those plays at the rim in the past.

• Like 1